Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books > LOTR Discussion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2006, 01:41 AM   #1
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Chapter VI & VII: Many Partings & Homeward Bound

Summary : Chapter VI

So after the celebrations drew to a close Frodo went to see the king and queen and let them know he wanted to go home. (And see Bilbo on the way).

Arwen explains that with the destruction of the ring, Bilbo's age is finally catching up with him and he was too tired to come for the wedding.

Aragorn asks Frodo to wait a week for Eomer to come back for Theoden's body and then the can all travel together for a while.
Arwen then tells Frodo that he should go over the sea in her place,
"For mine is the choice of Luthien, and as she so I have chosen, both the sweet and the bitter."

Then Arwen gives him and white jewel on a necklace, to remind him of Aragorn and Arwen and give him strength in dark times.

Soon after, Eomer arrives, and he and Gimli speak about some rash words Eomer had said earlier about Galadriel. Eomer tells Gimli that Galadriel is not the fairest being he has seen, but only because he favours Arwen. And Gimli relents.
"You have chosen the evening; but my love is given to the morning. And my heart forbodes that soon it will pass away forever."

After a few days they leave to take Theoden back to Rohan. And The remaining Fellowship members all go along, as well ans Elrond and his kids, Galadriel and Celeborn and many nobles of Gondor.

When they come to the grey woods of Amon Din, Aragorn proclaims that they belong to the wild men, and them alone.

After 15 days they arrive at Edoras, and the funeral of the king is held.

"Out of doubt out of dark, to the day's rising
he rode singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
Hope he rekindled; and in hope ended;
over death, over dread, over doom lifted
out of loss, out of life, unto long glory."

And poor Merry just cries, because Theoden and him had become such good friends; like a father to him.

Then they have a huge feast, and Eomer announces Faramir and Eowyn's engagement, and Eowyn goes to Aragorn and asks his blessing.

and he says "I have wished thee joy since first I saw thee. It heals my heart to see thee now in bliss."

After that most of the group gets ready to go...the lords of Gondor remain behind, and so does Arwen, who first goes into the hills with Elrond, and there their last meeting and parting is sad thing indeed.

Eomer and Eowyn give Merry a special horn as a gift, and the leave. Legolas went with Gimli to the glittering caves and was left speechless, and then makes Gimli join him in a journey through Fangorn and then home.

Everyone else carries on to Isengard, where they speak with Treebeard and find that Saruman and Grima are gone.
Treebeard and Celeborn & Galadriel shae words and Merry & Pippin share one more Entdraught with Treebeard, who notes thay they have grown substantially.

Finally it comes time to say goodbye to Aragorn, who had never failed the Hobbits.
Then they meet up with Saruman and wormtongue, they exchange some words...everyone being suprisisngly nice to the beggars, and getting rudeness in return. Saruman says some worrisome and cryptic things regarding the Shire and leaves.

When they arrive near the gates of Moria, the Lorien party departs, and in the mist Galadriel holds up her ring, which flashes in the mist, as a farewell; almost a salute, to the hobbits.

Finally arrival at Rivendell, and reunion with a very sleepy Bilbo, who is still always on time for meals. It is the day before his birthday, and he is glad to see them.

After a time, they head off, Gandalf in tow.
Bilbo gives them all gifts, his books (and armour and Sting again...haha) to Frodo, the last of the Smaug gold for Sam.
"May come in useful, if you think of getting married Sam"
Some real nice pipes to Merry and Pippin too, and a bunch of advice, and a comment on their size.

To which Pippin replies, "But if you want to beat the Old Took...I don't see why we shouldn't try and beat the Bullroarer."
Bilbo, poor old Bilbo, asks about the ring, and then remembers...
"'What a pity!' said Bilbo 'I should have liked to see it again. But no, how silly of me! Thats what you went for, wasn't it: to get rid of it? But its all so confusin, forr such a lot of other things seem to have got mixed up with it: Aragorn's affairs, and the White Council, and Gondor, and the Horsemen, and Southrons, and Oliphaunts - did you really see one Sam? - and caves and towers and golden trees and goodness knows what besides.'"

Finally they depart, and Elrond says to Frodo that he may not have to come back to Rivendell to see Bilbo,
"'...unless you come very soon. For about this time of the year, when the leaves are gold before they fall, look for Bilbo in the woods of the Shire. I shall be with him'"

Last edited by Finrod Felagund : 11-13-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Finrod Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote