Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books > LOTR Discussion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2005, 07:40 PM   #1
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

The passing of the grey Company

The passing of the Grey Company

Book V, The return of the king

Running order:

1) Introduction and apology
2) Synopsis
3) The chapter in summary form:
4) some more detailed thoughts
5) Oddities and Questions

1) Introduction and apology

Well, having to bang this off pretty much off the top of me head, though i do have the book in front of me, for time's sake ... will have very little time till monday or tuesday so had better at least start this off...

will try and edit and add to it as time allows and will post any new editions as and when.

Coming next will be the muster of rohan, but one chapter at a time ... will get the muster up next week, when i have a mo'.

I will add a placeholder below this post to add additions.
apologies if this is a bit rough and ready.

feel free all to debate whatever you like regarding this chapter, but i'll try and put various mootable points in BOLD as i go along ...

2) Synopsis:

After the breaking of the fellowship, and the small stones that lead to an avalanche in the mountains when Pippin and merry enter Fangorn, the meeting of the hunters and Gandalf and the batltle of helm's deep ... the victory and scenes at Orthanc ... the subsequent discovery of the Palantir ... Gandalf has ridden off with Pippin like the wind to Minas Tirith ... following the presage of imminent war, hailed by the flying wraith(s) ....

3)The chapter in summary form:

Gandalf has ridden off like the wind to Minas tirith, taking Pippin with him on shadowfax.

The winged messenger has been felt riding aloft ... suddenly the imminent pressage of war is keenly felt ... even in the night does doom and danger arrive ... both from the close shave with the palantir and sauron's haste... and from the very air: from this point onwards there is no turning back nor time for rest ... a pivotal point is reached in the road to War: time is now precious and the game afoot 24 hours a day.

What now? the remaining fellowship ask ... the King goes now to the Muster he has ordered ...

"Well for myself" said Aragorn... "it is dark before me. ... an hour long prepared approaches"

Merry is sundered from the remaining fellowship somewhat cruelly from his own perspective ... they ride off making for helm's deep.

Crossing the Isen back into Rohan they are overtaken by a group of horsemen riding hard on their trial.

Aragorn's kin ride to his aid, seeking him from afar in Rohan, with Elrohir and ellodan Elrond's sons.

What summons did they heed?

Elrond's sons bring word from their father 'remember the paths of the dead'

arriving at helm's deep they sleep, all but Aragorn, who takes the Palantir, as rightful owner of the stone and wrestles the Stone from Sauron's will.

He appears in other guise ... showing the sword re-forged ... and this battle of wills in the palantir was a battle worse and more wearying than that of the hornburg.

Yet, it is invaluable and need now drives him as never before ... also it serves to worry sauron and force his hand ... ever setting doubt in his mind and fear .... fully now has the wheel turned full circle as the strategies are focused on pressing sauron and focused on distracting the eye of mordor from it's very borders...

Theoden rides off towards the Muster ... after being dismayed by strider's news that he will take the paths of the dead

Aragorn finally takes a meal and tells Logolas and Gimli the score ...

when gimli challenges the wisdom of Aragorn's actions, he is rightfully sharp and proud : "You forget to whom you speak! ... I am the Lawful master of the Stone .... i had the right .. and the strength was enough-barely."

..." he is not so mighty yet that he is above fear; nay, doubt ever gnaws him"

Aragorn learns that the corsairs are sailing to assail the southlands, and therefore must go by the most direct course ....

"then lost it must be..." - Gimli

How sure is Aragorn that the dead will honour their oath? (the oath they swore to Isildur to fight sauron)

Of their free will they follow Aragorn via a short stop at Dunharrow and a much distressed Eowyn.

Fey and grey under the darkening skies they ride towards the ill fated and ill named 'paths of the dead'

through the evil night-dark starless and opressive doors they enter and amongst the dead they are driven on by the will and love for aragorn.

Gimli the dwarf takes this the hardest

Finally they come out and with fear running on before them the grey company followed by the dead reach the stone of erech, where Aragorn states that he will hold the oath fulfilled when the southlands are free of the enemy.

Pressing on in the dawn and riding like the wind and with rumour flying on before them and shouts of the 'King of the dead is come' they ride towards the coasts and battle...

4) Some more detailed thoughts

... coming soon

5) Oddities and Questions

... coming soon

Last edited by Butterbeer : 10-12-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote