Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books > LOTR Discussion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-18-2004, 12:08 AM   #1
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

I'm going to try again. If the picture doesn't come up, then I have also provided the web link until I can solve the problem. Here I go again.....

http://www.cyberinter.net/cyberpix/lotrmap.html

Thanks to Khamûl and Linaewen for their help in attempting to solve this problem.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:15 AM   #2
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Well, the web link worked but the image link did not.

I really wanted the image to come in without having to click on a link, however, I will keep working on it.

The map is part of a series of maps that plots the journey of all the members of the Fellowship from Hobbiton to their journey's end. I wanted to scan and post the maps into the appropriate pages of the discussion project so we all have a visual image!!

The book is "The Atlas of Middle Earth" by Karen Wynn Fonstad, published in 1981. She is a cartographer whose interest in Tolkien inspired her to publish this book.

I hope you find the maps useful!
Old 07-18-2004, 07:41 AM   #3
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Yay!!! Great job Elenor! Thank you very much!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 07:48 AM   #4
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Thanks, Valandil, but I don't understand!! When I checked my post earlier today the picture was not there and now it is!! It's like magic!!
Old 07-18-2004, 08:06 AM   #5
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Oh!! I just read my PM's and discovered it was not magic that made my image appear, but some clever manipulation by Khamul.

Thanks Khamul!!
Old 07-18-2004, 08:20 AM   #6
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis

I've read many theories on who Tom is - and I think there have been flaws in them all, but the one I like most is that Tom is the spirit of the Earth itself, or perhaps I should say, the Earth as it was meant to be, before it was corrupted by Morgoth (bringing in Sil things here ). There is a connection between Goldberry's "He is", and Eru's "Ea - Let these things be". People have speculated that he might be one of the Ainur, but I don't think so. He is certainly not a Vala, and he is probably not a Maia, in that case the Ring would have power over him. Just look at Saruman, Sauron and Gandalf. And it is said that Tom is the Eldest, that he was present before any other spirit in the world. "He knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless - before the Dark Lord came from Outside."
Most people have said that they think Tom is some sort of earth spirit, which I agree with. It's interesting that you say the earth spirit, Arty, because I find it hard to imagine the spirit of all of Arda encompassed in one being (i.e. Tom).
So then, can't other 'earth spirits' exist, or is Tom the most significant since he is Eldest?

And good job, Elanor and thanks Khamul.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 08:31 AM   #7
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Re: The Lord of the Rings Discussion : Chpts 7 and 8

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
Question 2 : So why the singing and rhyming?
I would say to show how unaffected he can be to everything else that's going on in the world, like how the Ring has no power over him. Maybe it shows how above and beyond the current events Tom is- in the grand scheme of things in the history of Me (past and future), the conflict over the Ring is minor.

I also like to think that Tolkien put it in to add some 'lighter moments' to the book's contents. One of the reasons I enjoy LotR so much is that despite the element of grimness and misery that permeates much of the book, there are still a number of moments of joy and light-heartedness.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 07:40 AM   #8
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen
One of the reasons I enjoy LotR so much is that despite the element of grimness and misery that permeates much of the book, there are still a number of moments of joy and light-heartedness.
I couldn't agree more, Linaewen. That is exactly why I love the LOTR so much.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:57 AM   #9
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Elanor, lovely maps!
Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
It's interesting that you say the earth spirit, Arty, because I find it hard to imagine the spirit of all of Arda encompassed in one being (i.e. Tom).
So then, can't other 'earth spirits' exist, or is Tom the most significant since he is Eldest?
I would argue that Tom is not significant because he is the Eldest, but because he is a symbol of Arda unmarred. Which would also perhaps serve to explain why he will not leave his little realm - he has no place in the world outside which is touched by evil.

Actually, I'm posting this against my own councel, for though I too have my theories about who Tom is, I do think he serves the story and the atmosphere in the book best if he is left as an enigma.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:58 AM   #10
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I'm baaaaack - thanks for the nice weekend wishes, it was fabulous! (see happy thread)

Wow, some great thoughts while I was gone -

Quote:
by Beren3000
An interesting similar feature that unites all of Tolkien's villains is their use of deception and/or temptation. This occured in the cases of OMW and the Wight and we'll see it later with "the voice of Saruman" and Sauron's deception of Denethor and his whisperings in the ears of the Numenoreans and the Elves of Eregion. This is characteristic of the concept of evil in Christianity (and perhaps many other religions): evil often comes down on you disguised and tries to play on your weaknesses or desires to achieve its end...
Yes, that's kinda the idea I was trying to get at with my question - I just finished the temptation section of Milton's Paradise Lost last night - I'll have to quote some excerpts, there's some GREAT examples of this, esp. the whole idea of deception to further the evil one's ends (like the voices Frodo hears in the fog, and the suggestions of sleepiness, etc.)

Quote:
by the Gaf
One difference is how Tom treats them: he seems to have respect for Old Man Willow (at least he respects his right to exist, and doesn't dig him up) whereas the wight is despatched post haste.
Now that's interesting; I never thought of that difference before. I wonder why that is? Is it because of the whole redemption thing that Val brought up in that other thread? OMW is alive still; wights are NOT (at least I always thought of them as dead thingys) and so can't be redeemed? Or does Tom think like Gandalf about dealing out death, and again, the wights are already "dead" but just hanging around still, like company staying too late so Tom shows them the door? Great point, Gaf!

Quote:
Tolkien offers lots of different conceptions of baddies. Smaug was a complex and intelligent character whose vanity was his downfall; Sauron is a cipher of unmitigated nastiness. Saruman, of course, has fallen from grace as a result of getting too absorbed in studying the arts of badness.
I think pride is also a very important (and shared) characteristic of these baddies. I don't think that in Saruman's case, it was simply from studying the "arts of badness" (great term!). He studied them, in the first place, BECAUSE of his pride and selfish desire to rule. I like the little bit in Unfinished Tales, IIRC, where it talks about Saruman liking pipeweed but being too proud to show it because Gandalf discovered it first.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 07-19-2004 at 02:04 AM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 02:01 AM   #11
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Re: Re: The Lord of the Rings Discussion : Chpts 7 and 8

Quote:
I also like to think that Tolkien put it in to add some 'lighter moments' to the book's contents. One of the reasons I enjoy LotR so much is that despite the element of grimness and misery that permeates much of the book, there are still a number of moments of joy and light-heartedness.
I agree, and I think that is part of the brilliance of the book! It makes the grim parts much grimmer, too, to have seen the joy that might be destroyed.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 07-19-2004, 02:06 AM   #12
Rían

Quote:
[B]I would argue that Tom is not significant because he is the Eldest, but because he is a symbol of Arda unmarred. Which would also perhaps serve to explain why he will not leave his little realm - he has no place in the world outside which is touched by evil.
Interesting thought, Arty! I've never thought of that before - and I've wondered why Tom stayed within his bounds.

Quote:
Actually, I'm posting this against my own councel, for though I too have my theories about who Tom is, I do think he serves the story and the atmosphere in the book best if he is left as an enigma.
I agree, but it's fun to float theories

Old 07-19-2004, 07:14 AM   #13
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Quote:

And good job, Elanor and thanks Khamul. [/B]
Thank you, Linaewen.

Quote:

Elanor, lovely maps! [/B]
Thank you, Artanis.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:55 PM   #14
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
I agree, and I think that is part of the brilliance of the book! It makes the grim parts much grimmer, too, to have seen the joy that might be destroyed.
Agreed! I always thought that this was one of the literary purposes of the Fellowship of the Ring books (aside from the obvious one of introducing the characters): namely, to describe the joy and carefree satus of the Shire so that the misery of Frodo in the later books can be fully appreciated.

EDIT: I'm glad you're enjoying Paradise Lost, RÃ*an. Isn't it just the greatest book ever? (Even though that's off topic, but what's your favorite moment in the book so far?)

Last edited by Beren3000 : 07-19-2004 at 04:57 PM.
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:35 AM   #15
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Beren3000
EDIT: I'm glad you're enjoying Paradise Lost, RÃ*an. Isn't it just the greatest book ever? (Even though that's off topic, but what's your favorite moment in the book so far?)
(wow - favorite moment in PL? I don't know what to say - I've underlined so much. The language is so powerful! Right now, I'm in the "it's not MY fault" section where Adam tries to pass the buck - written 400 years ago and relevant today! I think there's a thread on PL - I'll try to find it.)

Old 07-20-2004, 12:21 PM   #16
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally posted by Beren3000
enjoyed it too!

one of my favorite quotes:

"the mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heav'n of hell, a hell of heav'n."
Old 07-20-2004, 06:09 PM   #17
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Your quote comes from my favourite part in the book, brownjenkins! It's that part where Satan envies the humans for Paradise and regrets his Fall. I LOVE that part!
P.S. Sorry, this will be the last drifting off the topic on my part
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 07:17 PM   #18
Rían

I have that part underlined, brownie! Great stuff.

Speaking of the regret aspect, how 'bout this bit when Satan is about to address the waiting "fellows of his crime" :

Quote:
from Milton's "Paradise Lost", book I
Thrice he assayed, and thrice, in spite of scorn,
Tears, such as Angels weep, burst forth. At last
Words interwove with sighs found out their way:
That bit, quoted in another book, is what made me buy PL, and I'm so glad I did.

Anyway, to swing it back to LOTR, that deception is certainly seen in OMW and the wighties. Also, as is seen in Paradise Lost, the anger at humans, and insatiable desire (Tom talks about how the thoughts of the trees are often "filled with a hatred of things that go free upon the earth" and how OMW has a "gray thirsty spirit", and in the song of the wights, "the cold was cursing the warmth for which it hungered." That's another of the "characteristics in common" that I see in the baddies of LOTR.

Old 08-28-2004, 10:00 PM   #19
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Question 1 : The most interesting thing in this chapter, to me, was how the Ring had no power over Tom. What are people's thoughts on this?

People are quick to assume I think. People often forget that there are many factors to Sauron, The Ring, and Tom Bombadil. First Sauron and Tom, they both seem to have great powers, who has more... no one will ever know? Especially considering Bombadil has powers that most would not call power. Yet Tom is master, and strong he is. The Ring, it has a power of its own in striving to get to Sauron. The ring also has some misunderstood properties. The invisibility property is the main misunderstanding in that the ring does not always have more power than its bearer! Sauron wore it without loosing his visability because he had the power to bend it to his will. Bombadil I think did the same. If Tom wished to be invisible he could be. As for him seeing Frodo while he put the ring on thats not great thing, any elf could see Frodo with the ring on as well.(as is my understanding) A Maia or a Vala could no doubt see into the "Shadow World" as well. Whatever Tom is he has more power than he shows. Why Tom did not desire the ring as any other on ME would is a mystery to everyone and always will be.

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 03:10 AM   #20
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I don't think that the elves could see into the shadow world.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote