afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

A World Without Black People

this was prompted my an IQ thread on another site

PLEASE NOTE THESE SOMETIMES MODERN ADAPTIONS OF OLDER DEVICES

example the mom says comb but it SPECIFALLY the pressing comb

A World Without Black People

part one

This is a story of a little boy name Theo, who woke up one morning and asked his mother, "Mom, what if there were no Black people in the world?" Well, his mother thought about that for a moment, and then said, "Son, follow me around today and let's just see what it would be like if there were no Black people in the world." Mom said, "Now go get dressed, and we will get started."

Theo ran to his room to put on his clothes and shoes. His mother took one look at him and said, "Theo, where are your shoes? And those clothes are all wrinkled, son. I must iron them." However, when she reached for the ironing board, it was no longer there.

You see Sarah Boone, a black woman, invented the ironing board, and Jan E. Matzelinger, a black man, invented the shoe lasting machine.

"Oh well," she said, "please go and do something to your hair." Theo ran in his room to comb his hair, but the comb was not there. You see, Walter Sammons, a black man, invented the comb.

Theo decided to just brush his hair, but the brush was gone. You see Lydia O. Newman, a black female, invented the brush.

Well, this was a sight: no shoes, wrinkled clothes, hair a mess. Even Mom's hair, without the hair care inventions of Madam C. Walker, well, you get the picture.

Mom told Theo, "Let's do our chores around the house and then take a trip to the grocery store." Theo's job was to sweep the floor. He swept and swept and swept. When he reached for the dustpan, it was not there. You see, Lloyd P. Ray, a black man, invented the dustpan.

So he swept his pile of dirt over in the corner and left it there. He then decided to mop the floor, but the mop was gone. You see, Thomas W. Stewart, a black man, invented the mop. Theo yelled to his Mom, "Mom, I'm not having any luck."

"Well, son," she said, "Let me finish washing these clothes, and we will prepare a list for the grocery store." When the wash finished, she went to place the clothes in the dryer, but it was not there. You see, George T. Samon, a black man, invented the clothes dryer.

Mom asked Theo to go get a pencil and some paper to prepare their list for the market. So, Theo ran for the paper and pencil but noticed the pencil lead was broken. Well, he was out of luck because John Love, a black man, invented the pencil sharpener.

Mom reached for a pen, but it was not there because William Purvis, a black man, invented the fountain pen.

As a matter of fact, Lee Burridge invented the typewriting machine and W. A. Lovette the advanced printing press. Theo and his mother decided just to head out to the market.

Well, when Theo opened the door, he noticed the grass was as high as he was tall. You see, John Burr, a black man, invented the lawn mower. They made their way over to the car and found that it just wouldn't go. You see, Richard Spikes, a black man, invented the automatic gearshift, and Joseph Gammel invented the supercharge system for internal combustion engines. They also noticed that the few cars that were moving were running into each other and having wrecks because there were no traffic signals. You see, Garrett A. Morgan, a black man invented the traffic light.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.

Last edited by afro-elf : 12-16-2002 at 11:22 PM.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 11:21 PM   #2
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Part two

Well, it was getting late, so they walked to the market, got their groceries, and returned home. Just when they were about to put away the milk, eggs, and butter, they noticed the refrigerator was gone. You see John Standard, a black man, invented the refrigerator. So, they just left the food on the counter.

By this time, Theo noticed he was getting mighty cold. Mom went to turn up the heat, and what do you know? Alice Parker, a black female, invented the heating furnace. Even in the summertime, they would have been out of luck because Frederick Jones, a black man, invented the air conditioner.

It was almost time for Theo's father to arrive home. He usually takes the bus, but there was no bus, because its precursor was the electric trolley, invented by another black man, Elbert R. Robinson.

He usually takes the elevator from his office on the 20th floor, but there was no elevator because Alexander Miles, a black man, invented the elevator.

He also usually dropped off the office mail at a near by mailbox, but it was no longer there because Philip Downing, a black man, invented the letter drop mailbox, and William Barry invented the postmarking and canceling machine.

Theo and his mother sat at the kitchen table with their heads in their hands. When the father arrived, he asked, "Why are you sitting in the dark?" Why? Because Lewis Howard Latimer, a black man, invented the filament within the light bulb.

Theo quickly learned more about what it would be like if there were no black people in the world, especially if he were ever sick and needed blood. Dr. Charles Drew, a black scientist, found a way to preserve and store blood, which led to his starting the world's first blood bank.

Well, what if a family member had to have heart surgery? This would not have been possible without Dr. Daniel Hale Williams, a black doctor, who performed the first open-heart surgery.

So, if you ever wonder, like Theo, where would we be without black people? Well, it's pretty plain to see. We would still be in the DARK!

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 12-16-2002, 11:24 PM   #3
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Product Inventor Date
======= ======== =====

air conditioning unit Frederick M. Jones July 12, 1949
almanac Benjamin Banneker Approx 1791
auto cut-off switch Granville T. Woods January 1, 1839
auto fishing devise G. Cook May 30, 1899
automatic gear shift Richard Spikes February 28, 1932
baby buggy W.H. Richardson June 18, 1899
bicycle frame L.R. Johnson October 10, 1899
biscuit cutter A.P. Ashbourne November 30, 1875
blood plasma bag Charles Drew Approx. 1945
cellular phone Henry T. Sampson July 6, 1971
chamber commode T. Elkins January 3, 1897
clothes dryer G. T. Sampson June 6, 1862
curtain rod S. R. Scratton November 30, 1889
curtain rod support William S. Grant August 4, 1896
door knob O. Dorsey December 10, 1878
door stop O. Dorsey December 10, 1878
dust pan Lawrence P. Ray August 3, 1897
egg beater Willie Johnson February 5, 1884
electric lampbulb Lewis Latimer March 21, 1882
elevator Alexander Miles October 11, 1867
eye protector P. Johnson November 2, 1880
fire escape ladder J. W. Winters May 7, 1878
fire extinguisher T. Marshall October 26, 1872
folding bed L. C. Bailey July 18, 1899
folding chair Brody & Surgwar June 11, 1889
fountain pen W. B. Purvis January 7, 1890
furniture caster O. A. Fisher 1878
gas mask Garrett Morgan October 13, 1914
golf tee T. Grant December 12, 1899
guitar Robert F. Flemming, Jr. March 3, 1886
hair brush Lydia O. Newman November 15, 18--
hand stamp Walter B. Purvis February 27 1883
horse shoe J. Ricks March 30, 1885
ice cream scooper A. L. Cralle February 2, 1897
improv. sugar making Norbet Rillieux December 10, 1846
insect-destroyer gun A. C. Richard February 28, 1899
ironing board Sarah Boone December 30, 1887
key chain F. J. Loudin January 9, 1894
lantern Michael C. Harvey August 19, 1884
lawn mower L. A. Burr May 19, 1889
lawn sprinkler J. W. Smith May 4, 1897
lemon squeezer J. Thomas White December 8, 1893
lock W. A. Martin July 23, 18--
lubricating cup Ellijah McCoy November 15, 1895
lunch pail James Robinson 1887
mail box Paul L. Downing October 27, 1891
mop Thomas W. Stewart June 11, 1893
motor Frederick M. Jones June 27, 1939
peanut butter George Washington Carver1896
pencil sharpener J. L. Love November 23, 1897
phone transmitter Granville T. Woods December 2, 1884
record player arm Joseph Hunger Dickenson January 8, 1819
refrigerator J. Standard June 14, 1891
riding saddles W. D. Davis October 6, 1895
rolling pin John W. Reed 1864
shampoo headrest C. O. Bailiff October 11, 1898
spark plug Edmond Berger February 2, 1839
stethoscope Imhotep Ancient Egypt
stove T. A. Carrington July 25, 1876
straightening comb Madam C. J. Walker Approx 1905
street sweeper Charles B. Brooks March 17, 1890
thermostat control Frederick M. Jones February 23, 1960
traffic light Garrett Morgan November 20, 1923
tricycle M. A. Cherry May 6, 1886
typewriter Burridge & Marshman April 7, 1885

'Dern Helm"

Old 12-16-2002, 11:30 PM   #4
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Patent numbers can be found here:

http://216.239.33.100/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

'Dern Helm"

Old 12-16-2002, 11:47 PM   #5
gdl96
the greg the admin

I think many of these useful items would have been invented eventually. I'm not racist, but I think these kind of things are a little unnecessary.

But it is interesting to see the many great contributions that blacks have made.

Btw, you don't need to make three posts in a row. See the edit button? Use it. I understand they may not have all fit into one post, but you could have definately done it in two.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 12:09 AM   #6
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Btw, you don't need to make three posts in a row. See the edit button? Use it. I understand they may not have all fit into one post, but you could have definately done it in two.
I probably could have squeezed in the third one

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 12-17-2002 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:34 AM   #7
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

actually, i dont think there is a post limit. think anyone's actually going to read that? I know I haven't.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 12:46 AM   #8
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

You mean like a limit on the number of characters in a post? The limit is 5000 (characters, not words).

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 01:01 AM   #9
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I agree with Greg. I'm not a racist, but many of these things would probably have been invented eventually. And weren't ancient people using types of combs and brushes long before they could write? Or using soaproot to wash their hair (thus, primitive shampoo)?
Old 12-17-2002, 01:20 AM   #10
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Lot's of information there afro-elf......but what difference does it make if an inventor is black, white, or sky-blue-pink-with-yellow-dots?confused:

Erm, the horseshoe invented in 1885?...somehow i think not

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 02:15 AM   #11
Elven Archer
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Lot's of information there afro-elf......but what difference does it make if an inventor is black, white, or sky-blue-pink-with-yellow-dots?confused:
I agree. although i've never seen someone sky blue pink with yellow dots
Old 12-17-2002, 02:44 AM   #12
Nibs
Head Hollara

Neat story, fun facts... but I dislike the overuse (I count twelve) of the words "you see", followed by the explanation of who invented the mentioned item.

It's like I'd say to myself, "yes, yes, I see... yes, yes, I see... yes, yes, I see... yes, yes, I see... yes, YES, I FRIGGIN' SEE ALREADY." - not to be confused with disdain for the aforementioned innovators or their background, only that detail bothered me. Aside from that, I liked it the story.

Now do eskimos! How would we suffer presently without the ingenuity of the eskimos? I shudder to think.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 03:14 AM   #13
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Quote:
agree with Greg. I'm not a racist, but many of these things would probably have been invented eventually.
Again I state that the reason for posting was prompted by conversation concerning the intelligence of Blacks

Quote:
I'm not a racist, but many of these things would probably have been invented eventually. And weren't ancient people using types of combs and brushes long before they could write

No you are not racist but you did read very well when I said

Quote:
PLEASE NOTE THESE SOMETIMES MODERN ADAPTIONS OF OLDER DEVICES
Quote:
example the mom says comb but it SPECIFALLY the pressing comb

Quote:
Erm, the horseshoe invented in 1885?...somehow i think not

Ricks, J. Horseshoe March 30, 1886 No:338,781

Overshoes for Horses June 6, 1899 No: 626,245

I did a VERY quick check at the Us Patent Site

all I could verify NOW is that for the year 1885/6 the number given finds the number slot

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/ac/...f/issuyear.htm

'Dern Helm"

Old 12-17-2002, 08:52 AM   #14
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

An I presume there is a point to this thread but I refuse to go looking for it. Might it be a feeling of inadequacy or reverse discimination? Nah, just more rambling.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:12 PM   #15
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

( Dude this is in jest)

Hey SPOOK, er Spock. Ready for some more banter. And please sharpen your shurikens and don your tabbi boots. And prepare for

Ninja 4: the Humiliation
The Challenge of the Supercillious Bastards

Staring

Afro-Elf as The young (er) Supercillious Bastard Bald Black Dragon of Shoalin. Strentgh able to admit culpability.

and SPOOK er Spock as the Old Supercillious bastard as Crumpy Old Ninja. Strength refuses to admit defeat.

Outside old ruined Temple

CON:

Quote:
An I presume there is a point to this thread but I refuse to go looking for it. Might it be a feeling of inadequacy or reverse discimination? Nah, just more rambling
BBD:

The gun toting ninja master of gloss and ignore, without self culpability and pseudo-erudite omnisciensce returns for another trouncing.

Flashback:

Quote:
YOUR REMARKS DID NOT MENTIONS SPECIFICS THEY WERE OFFHANDED AND DIRISIVE OF THE ART AS A WHOLE
To which I showed you were WRONG because I stated
Quote:
THIS IS UTTERLY FALSE I posted this on 7-30-2002
Quote:
there are those that practice it as an art and it is just like any other martial art. .... then there are those that are flat off the wall and just plain foolish. talking about magic, levitation, being unpeneratable and other such mystic type hollabaloo. so some is real some is fake. depends who your instructor is i guess.
Quote:
It's the latter that i'm truly leary of. Like people who buy books like " Ninja Magic

Your honorable reply was to ignore what I said. I guess that enlightment has fossiled inutero.

"Alas, into the breach once more"

CON throws caltrips

Quote:
refuse to go looking for it.
BBD: useless but flashy wuxia

Its called the 1st line. As you supported on the other thread " line of inference"

CON throws smoking poison ninja death bombs
Quote:
feeling of inadequacy reverse discimination
BBD: use breath of the dragon

Can use please show us with you ninja magic were there was ONE. JUST one derogatory statement about another ethnic group.
Analogy some said Shaolin was a boo boo style. I offered counter evidence.

I did not deride Wu Tang.

Another flash back of someone defeating ninjitsu ( albeit a false attack)

Or Patriotic remarks on other threads about the US.

Was that person feeling inadequate?

Furls brow in mock contempation as he awaits pseudo enlightment quotes.

Quote:
Nah, just more rambling
Then smiles as he reads his signature

Now with your advanced age all, do not get too upset.

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 12-17-2002 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:09 PM   #16
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

That last post was really incoherent, buddy.

I agree that most of those things would be invented eventually regardless.

The thing that bothers me the most is that race is still such a big issue. there's no color ont hese boards, can't we all just forget about it?
Old 12-17-2002, 11:56 PM   #17
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
I did a VERY quick check at the Us Patent Site http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/ac/...f/issuyear.htm
Years of patent means nothing about year of invention.

Afro-elf, you're a cool guy, but it seems like you're beating a dead horse. I'm glad we have the things we have, and I don't care what race the person was who invented, patented, or discovered it was.
Old 12-18-2002, 12:28 AM   #18
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Wayferer that incoherent post was delivered for SPOCK

I should stated clearly the idea was not would such things ever be invented. It was a response made by someone who made disparaging remarks about blacks and intelligence.

Quote:
Years of patent means nothing about year of invention
again as to your earlier response a pressing comb is NOT the same as a comb. what those things are KINDS of, or agumentations to. The motor and horseshoe were around but not particular modifcation for example.The comment was to bolster my own skepticism over some of the claims to make sure that they were not totally baseless.

If I said christians were all intellectally inferior and had given the world nothing in the realm of science/tech from your previous posts, I would think you would provide counter evidence.

'Dern Helm"

Old 12-18-2002, 12:52 AM   #19
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
If I said christians were all intellectally inferior and had given the world nothing in the realm of science/tech from your previous posts, I would think you would provide counter evidence.
Have I ever said that I think blacks, or any other race for that matter, are all intellectually inferior? I don't think I've ever said such a thing my entire life.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:00 AM   #20
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
Have I ever said that I think blacks, or any other race for that matter, are all intellectually inferior? I don't think I've ever said such a thing my entire life.
Me neither.

afro-elf.........I don't know which site prompted you to try this thread here but I don't think you'll find many folks so small-minded on the 'moot

I certainly can't recall any posts about differing IQ between folks of any skin colour in the time I've been visiting as a guest/member. Has there been any?

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote