Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-15-2007, 11:48 PM   #21
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Picked up the first three books yesterday. I've gotten about 60 pages into the first.

Pretty good, I owuld have preferred a map, I like maps of the fantasy worlds to get an idea of the geography.

Otherwise, I am enjoying the read. Quick, not too heavily detailed, moves along nicely. I think I'm going to enjoy it.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:37 AM   #22
Snowdog
DĂșnedain Ranger of the North

I agree. It makes an interesting vision of the world when I put it together in my head based on the text.

I did locate a fan made map here.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #23
Snowdog

The Return of the Black Company is out, and early next year , The Many Deaths of the Black Company' will be out. Rumour has it this last book will end the series. That wont be a bad thing as I think its been wrung out pretty well over the last 30 years. We'll see.

I just finished the third book on my re-read. Good stuff.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:22 PM   #24
Snowdog

Those books were just repackaged onmibus volumes of the ten books. There is rumour that Glen is working on a new book called Port of Shadows tenetively speculated to release in 2018 sometime.

And like the Wheel Of Time book series being made into a what I suspect a 'Game Of Thrones' type TV multi-season mini-series, so too is The Black Company.