Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-10-2002, 08:29 AM   #1
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

The Throne

Why didn't Aragorn was the king when he was 50 years old (example)? why he had to wait for Denethor to be killed? and why didn't he was a king after Denethor's father (don't remeber his name right now) died? he was old then.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 09:37 AM   #2
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

The answer is complicated, and rooted in the past, especially in the way Elendil divided up his kingdom between his two sons, with Arnor in the north and Gondor in the south. In looking through Appendix A to the LOTR, one sees that there were eight High Kings of Arnor, but after that, the realm was divided into three -- Arthedain, Rhudaur and Cardolan -- due to disagreements among the last king's sons. These three kingdoms fought among themselves, hastening their end, as did also a combination of plague and the rising power of the Witch King of Angmar (who later was the leader of the Nazgul), and the last king in the North-Kingdom, Arvedui (who had been trying to renew ties with Gondor), died in a shipwreck far to the north. His son, Aranarth, was the first to take the title Chieftain of the Dunedain, and the line of Chieftains continued unbroken, father to son, down to Aragorn II, son of Arathorn, Elessar, who became again King of Arnor and Gondor.

But Aragorn couldn't just pick up where Earendur, last king of Arnor, or even Arvedui had left off. For one thing, he was born 956 years after Arvedui had drowned and 881 years after the last king of Gondor had disappeared. In almost one thousand years, much had changed and the Dunedain of the north had been forgotten by most people and also had become less respectable, perhaps, to the Stewards of Gondor as their own line continued undiminished and they successfully ruled the kingdom in the place of a king, though never from the throne.

Arvedui had been trying to renew ties with Gondor, but that had been difficult, and had halted with his death. Indeed, Arvedui had claimed the crown of Gondor after the death of King Ondoher down there, but the claim had been rejected, in large part due to the will of Pelendur, King Ondoher's Steward.
Quote:
The crown [of Gondor] was claimed by Earnil...and it was granted to him with the approval of all the Dunedain of Gondor...Arvedui did not press his claim; for he had neither the power nor the will to oppose the choice of the Dunedain of Gondor; yet the claim was never forgotten by his descendants even when their kingship had passed away.
Gondor had also been through a civil war, the Kin-Strife, and nobody wanted another one, especially since Gondor was constantly threatened by Sauron and his allies, and often at war.

So, you see, Aragorn had to somehow endear himself to the Dunedain of the South before he could gain the crown of both kingdoms that even Arvedui hadn't been able to successfully claim. It was probably to this end and also to learn firsthand the situation faced by Gondor and its allies that, under an assumed name, he served first Thengel King of Rohan (Theoden's father) and then Ecthelion II, Steward of Gondor. See part iv of Appendix A under "The Stewards" for a description of his accomplishments and advice to Gondor's steward during this time. They were considerable. Even so, and in spite of his dramatic rescue of Minas Tirith on the day of the great battle there, his claim likely would still have been resisted, had Denethor not conveniently gone crazy and killed himself. Aragorn's healing of the wounded after the battle, and then his going to battle at the gates of Mordor certainly cemented his popularity among the Dunedain of the South, but the lies of Sauron combined with the wounds left from the Kin-Strife of long ago likely would have weakened his rule had he claimed the throne before the evil (Sauron) was completely vanquished.

Once that had been accomplished, he could and did step in and take his rightful place. One of my favorite parts of the book is how he puts Frodo and Sam on his high seat at the Field of Cormallen and then has Frodo bring the crown to Gandalf, and Gandalf set the crown on his head at his entry into Minas Tirith.

Wise he was, in light of Gondor's troubled past, to be patient and wait, and to never take the crown or other symbols of rule with his own hands; in that, I think, we see the training he received from Elrond.
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 11:01 AM   #3
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

There are many refrences to Aragorn's patience being a virtue-see the Palantir and refrences to Aragron's challenge of Sauron.
Old 10-10-2002, 05:08 PM   #4
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by The Lady of Ithilien
Wise he was, in light of Gondor's troubled past, to be patient and wait, and to never take the crown or other symbols of rule with his own hands; in that, I think, we see the training he received from Elrond.
Very good post, Lady! I agree with your last speculation also. Elrond was in fact extremely important for Aragorn in succeeding to win the crown.

The old question pops up in my mind if Aragorn had gone to all the trouble if this had not been his only way to also win the hand of Arwen?
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 08:02 PM   #5
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Thanks, Karinki. Radagast's question struck a nerve, as I'm trying to write my very first story (story in training wheels, so to speak), and it's based on that tantalizing line in the Appendix timeline: "2956: Aragorn meets Gandalf and their friendship begins." Had been thinking a lot about Aragorn lately, and Radagast went right to the heart of his predicament.

Quote:
The old question pops up in my mind if Aragorn had gone to all the trouble if this had not been his only way to also win the hand of Arwen?
Exactly. I wonder if maybe Aragorn himself gave the answer to this when one of the hobbits asked him if he'd often been to Rivendell: "There my heart is; but it is not my fate to sit in peace, even in the fair house of Elrond."
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 04:08 AM   #6
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by The Lady of Ithilien
Exactly. I wonder if maybe Aragorn himself gave the answer to this when one of the hobbits asked him if he'd often been to Rivendell: "There my heart is; but it is not my fate to sit in peace, even in the fair house of Elrond."
It was not a very difficult choice, heir of Elendil or not - if he had had any choice! Aragorn had his own very basic longings and this is not the only place he refers to his own feelings. But a simple peaceful road was not his.

When it comes to the throne, it was not a only a matter of restoring the kingship per se. And luckily so, because I see Aragorn as far from an autocratic man. There were so many loose threads to tie together, old injustices and imbalances to correct, restoration and innovation to be done. I think this also added to Aragorn´s incentive, because he was very just and had a desire for helping and building.
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 10:11 AM   #7
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Very good posts, Lady and Kirinki!!

i also think that Arwen is one of the greater reasons why Aragorn put so much efforts in getting the crown of Gondor. In ROTK, when he has already get the crown he's still uneasy, waiting for a signal that he receives only when he knows that Arwen's coming with Elrond and co.

But the other reason why Aragorn tried to get the crown must be found in the prophecies that began to be accomplished in his time: the halfling, Isildur's bane...
Old 10-11-2002, 05:40 PM   #8
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

okay... can you smarize this? I read english slowly and I gave up.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:55 PM   #9
olsonm
Elf Lord

Aragorn knew that he was destined to contest Sauron and become King; or die trying. He was waiting for a sign. When the One Ring was identified it was Aragorn's duty to reforge Narsil and openly contest Sauron. In doing so he would reveal himself to the people of Gondor and the question of the Kingship would be real for the first time in a thousand years.

To answer your question Radagast; Aragorn was waiting for a sign. It was dangerous to move before a clear opportunity arose.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:59 PM   #10
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

oh. Very very big thank you. So you say that if he would've go to be a king sooner Sauron would've kill him? or trying to? ok. And the other reason is to protect Eriador? And to be in the fellowship? I got it.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:33 PM   #11
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Don't forget Arwen as inspiration to become King!
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 03:45 PM   #12
madeyejay
Hobbit

The way I see it is that Aragorn knew the time of the conflict would come in his time. He also knew to claim the crown and Arwen, he would have to be victorious in the confict. He did not know when the conflict would take place or if he would be victorious. So he waited for the sign and fought the injustice of Middle Earth while waiting.
madeyejay is offline   Reply With Quote