Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: Do you believe in ancient predictions of the end of the world in 2012?
I believe we are approaching the end of the world. 5 19.23%
I do not believe we are approaching the end of the world 16 61.54%
I am not familiar with such prophesies and have no opinion. 5 19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2006, 01:03 PM   #1
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Prophecy for the end of the world in 2012

There is much in historical literature that many societies predicted the end of the world.

Several of the more precise predictions, mention the year 2012.

This poll is to see how many lean towards the belief that these prophecies are coming true.

This isn't for religious dogma, testimonies of faith or bashing.

It is a sincere effort to discuss the exact topic of the thread.

1. I believe we are approaching the predicted end of the world.

2. I do not believe we are approacing the end of the world.

3. I am not familiar with such prophesies and have no opinion on this matter.

Last edited by Spock : 09-23-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:18 PM   #2
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

BTW-THE POLL WILL CLOSE IN TEN DAYS FROM THIS POSTING

Just for background:

Dec 21, 2012 - Mayan calendar expires.

The Sanctus Germanus Prophecies, Events Leading up to 2012 (and the end).

Some American Indian Shamans and leaders have this prophesy also. Some phrase it as "the end of the world as we know it."
Old 09-23-2006, 01:38 PM   #3
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I assume that the poll means we're "near" the end of the world, rather than "approaching," as we've been "approaching" the end of the world ever since it first came into being .

So I voted no, because I don't think we're near the end of the world. At least a few hundred years more, IMO.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:11 PM   #4
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

It's interesting that 2012 has been pointed out by several sources to be the end of the world. I'd love to see more information on this subject! (More info would be good for the further discussion as it might shift some of the focus off the actual poll).

I agree with Lief that "nearing" would have been a better word than "approaching". We've always been "approaching" the end of the world

I voted "no" btw.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Weren't we supposed to be ended already in 1999? Or at least, that's what Nostradamus and some other guys predicted.

Isn't there an asteroid fly-by in 2012? Or is it 2080? I forget...
Old 09-23-2006, 02:33 PM   #6
Jonathan

Hey, Christians during the Middle Ages were perplexed that the world didn't cease to exist after the first millennium (1000 A.D). What are the odds someone in the future will predict the world will end on new year's eve the year 2999?

There's must have been lots of predicted doomsdays throughout history.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:32 PM   #7
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Nothin' like a good doomsday story to brighten up yer day.
That's a no btw.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:37 PM   #8
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

I do believe that it is the end times, so I voted yes. Science is proving that the prophecy might be real as there are sceintificly observable events that will coincide with 2012, that most certainly will mean change for the entire world. Here are 2 links on this issue, they mention 2 key points that can be proven and observed scienticly, the rising cycle of the Schumann resonance and the earths falling magnetic field. Both are predicted to arrive at a critical point in 2012.

http://www.2012.com.au/SchumannResonance.html

http://www.weinholds.org/2012_10.asp

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:23 PM   #9
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I feel quite sure it'll all end in a nuclear holocaust, because I'm a Christian and the scripture says the Earth will be consumed with fire. So that's my thoroughly unpleasant view. My guess is that it's probably rather similar to Spock's perspective. Am I right, Spock?
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 09-23-2006, 04:43 PM   #10
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

The world will be consumed with fire

Well, what I posted above describes a pole shift, if that happens the entire world will be torn apart. The planet will slow down it's orbit and eventually stop, then start spinning in the opposite direction. Instant volcanos will form because the tectonic plates will be ripped into the opposite direction, there will be explosions everywhere. Many islands in the caribbean will be instantly destroyed and gobled up.

Oh, there will be fire alright.

PS. Lief Erikson, your reason for voting no was unpoint.

...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Last edited by The Telcontarion : 09-23-2006 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:46 PM   #11
Jonathan

Of course the earth will be consumed in flames in approximately five billion years when the sun dies.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:33 PM   #12
The Telcontarion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Of course the earth will be consumed in flames in approximately five billion years when the sun dies.
Yes, yes, I am very familiar with this theory as well. The theory states that, the sun is constantly exploding from the inside out from it's thermonucleur reactions. What keeps the sun from being blown apart is it's immense gravity generated by it's mass. So it is constantly exploding apart and it's tremendous gravity is pulling everything back in, in an endless but equal battle of tug n war. At some point in the distant future, the sun will run out of it's fuel and in a final explosion that is greater than the gravity to contain, it will expand out ward and consume the inner planets. Eventually, after lasting for another million years the sun will finally shrink into a white dwarf, a very dull white sun a fraction of it's original size but a tea spoon of it's mass would be more than that of earth.

While it might even be true, the fact still remains that you hear nothing about the falling of the earths magnetic field or the shumann resonants in the media. Also, the real cause of global warming is not human polution. When a there is a major volcanic explosion, like on Montserrat in 1995, it gives off more polution than all the human polution in our entire history combined. The reason the planet is warming up is because the sun it's self is getting warmer. All this has something to do with end times as well. Here is a link to scientific facts on the issue:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...ut_030320.html

Old 09-23-2006, 05:41 PM   #13
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telcontarion
Here are 2 links on this issue, they mention 2 key points that can be proven and observed scienticly, the rising cycle of the Schumann resonance and the earths falling magnetic field. Both are predicted to arrive at a critical point in 2012.
http://www.2012.com.au/SchumannResonance.html

http://www.weinholds.org/2012_10.asp
Most excellent and amazing, Tel and I are on the same page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
I feel quite sure it'll all end in a nuclear holocaust, because I'm a Christian and the scripture says the Earth will be consumed with fire. So that's my thoroughly unpleasant view. My guess is that it's probably rather similar to Spock's perspective. Am I right, Spock?
Also a positive response from Lief, most encouraging.

The valley of Armegeddon is in Israel and with reference to the above quotes, could very well set the stage for the end of times.

BTW-approaching=to come closer or draw nearer
nearer=refers to a relatively short distance

My wording stands; semantic choice not withstanding.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:41 PM   #14
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon
Yeah, and they would have known that around 80 AD!
Quote:
PS. Lief Erikson, your reason for voting no was unpoint.
Huh? I haven't spoken my reason for saying no. All I said is how I think it will happen when it does happen.

The world seems stable to me right now, the major nations are not in conflict with one another, and I'm afraid I don't believe in the theories you brought up, Telcontarion. People have been predicting the end of the world for ages, and I don't see major newspapers, agencies or respected organizations considering these things that you have brought up to be threats, so I don't believe them. I might very well be wrong, of course. I simply don't have time to investigate theories that don't have strong and respectable backing- I've got too much on my plate. So I discard it out of hand, and if I and all the rest of the world die in 2012, so much for that .

So I don't see any reason to think the world is about to end. But the Greenhouse Effect and the break-down of the ozone layer are serious threats to our lives that will unfold over the next few hundred years, or possibly sooner. Our destabilizing environment is a very significant threat. Nuclear holocaust might be more of a threat in the future than it is now, but the technology is there. WMDs will become a worse and worse threat as time goes on because of terrorists and rogue nations- there's no escaping that. There's only delaying it.

I also don't think the world is likely to end soon because of my personal views on End Times eschatology. Although I definitely think that the world is ready for the End Times in terms of technology. In the vision he recorded in the Book of Revelation, John describes some horrendous and mass scale events, and modern technology in our modern times has caught up with his predictions.

I think that some modern events also are prophesied- like the rise of radical Islam in modern times.

But I place the rise of radical Islam in a rather different place than other Christians do. I place radical Islam well before the anti-Christ and I don't really connect the anti-Christ with radical Islam at all in my thinking. I also place radical Islam before Jesus' return from heaven to collect his saints from Earth, and that must happen before the plagues.

I see major events prophesied in the Old Testament and the New Testament which have to be fulfilled before the End Times, and I don't think we're there at all. I think a lot of Evangelical Christians are jumping the gun.

But I do think the technology is there and the world is slowly wandering down its course toward inevitable self-destruction.[/gloom]

Old 09-23-2006, 05:51 PM   #15
The Telcontarion

Quote:
The world seems stable to me right now, the major nations are not in conflict with one another, and I'm afraid I don't believe in the theories you brought up, Telcontarion. People have been predicting the end of the world for ages, and I don't see major newspapers, agencies or respected organizations considering these things that you have brought up to be threats, so I don't believe them. I might very well be wrong, of course. I simply don't have time to investigate theories that don't have strong and respectable backing- I've got too much on my plate. So I discard it out of hand, and if I and all the rest of the world die in 2012, so much for that .
Whatever floats your boat.

Old 09-23-2006, 05:56 PM   #16
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Bears a repeat.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:06 PM   #17
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Maybe YOU intend to die in 2012--by 2009 my spacecraft should be complete, at which point I shall search for the many pants that BoP stole from me and take them away with me to a safe planet where we may live in peace and unnakedness.

But seriously--no, I don't think the world will end in 2012 .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:07 PM   #18
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I also voted no. One reason is that our calendar's years and completely precise and small discrepencies have added up over the course of history.

The other reason is 2012 is a bit soon. We aren't doing that badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
I too feel that when the world ends, it will be because of a devastating world war. I don't know when that would be, but human beings are most likely to end the world, IMO. This is far more probable than an asteroid smashing into the Earth or some other natural catastrophe.

Fire and Ice
by Robert Frost

Some say the world will end in fire;
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

(That is one of my all-time favourite poems, and quite topical too.)

EDIT: Oh yes. And if humans manage not to ruin everything, then I agree with Jonathan, that of course Earth will be destroyed when the Sun becomes a Red Giant.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 09-23-2006 at 07:08 PM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:34 PM   #19
The Telcontarion

I just want to say I love you guys.

Anyway, the world is not going to end, but it will be reborn. Just do me a favor and remember I told you so.

The shumann resonance is not my opinion, nor is the falling magnetic field. It's going to be bumpy, but I can't wait.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:49 PM   #20
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
I just want to say I love you guys.

Anyway, the world is not going to end, but it will be reborn. Just do me a favor and remember I told you so.

The shumann resonance is not my opinion, nor is the falling magnetic field. It's going to be bumpy, but I can't wait.
Good answer! Becuase after all, the first two articles are plainly made by time-cubist-like people.
First off, a pole shift does not involve the Earth spinning down and reversing. That is utterly impossible. The Earth is not a machine: it spins the way it does because that's the way it began spinning when it was created from a cloud of dust orbiting the protostar, our sun. It will continue to spin that way forever because of inertia and other smaller gravitational effects, unless of course a meteor hit the Earth head on with the direction it was spinning, turning the direction it spins (but if that happened, a diminishing electromagnetic field would be the least of our worries). However, it is true that the Earth's magnetic field shifts from time to time, but the effect of that is very minimal in regards to the entire Earth. At most, animals would have trouble re-learning to navigate, compasses would point south, and the Earth would briefly be exposed to charged particles from space.
Second, I've never heard of plasma theory. It takes a lot of nerve from someone to say that the well-established and tested quantum theory is being replaced by some theory no one (including Wikipedia) has never heard of.
And as for the one regarding the sun, I think there is a perfectly non-deadly explanation for that: it's part of a natural solar cycle, just as the Earth goes through natural heating and cooling periods of it's own accord. In fact, I beleive that the sun is the instigator of such "major" shifts.

Anyway, I voted no for these and other reasons. It had better not end while I'm still alive, at any rate. I haven't even appeared in a Spaghetti Western made by Japanese film makers for a Russian Film Festival in Texas.

EDIT: Is the creator of any of these sites named Eugene Ray? That's the guy who thought of the idiotic idea of time cubism. If you want to be insulted and leave the net in a rage, look for his website.

Last edited by trolls' bane : 09-23-2006 at 09:52 PM.
trolls' bane is offline   Reply With Quote