Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-24-2003, 07:27 PM   #1
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Fall of Gondolin...

Ok, I was wondering if this story is printed in full elsewhere outside of what is mentioned in the Sil and Unfinished Tales?

I ask, becuase the story in the Sil seems more like a small portion of it and the story in Unfinished Tales stops before the "Fall of Gondolin" and says to refer to the full story.

Wasn't this Tolkien's first story and writtein in 1916-1917 as well?...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 07:36 PM   #2
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

hehe, I just realized it is in 'The Book of Lost Tales Part II'

Is it the full story though?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 11-25-2003, 01:53 AM   #3
olsonm
Elf Lord

Yes, but it's the old version and can't be accurately related to the later mythology.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:46 AM   #4
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

You should ask Maedhros, he's the FoG expert that I know of.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:04 AM   #5
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

As full as you will ever get it! Love that story.

Doesn't matter if some of the ideas were thrown away later (like hordes of Balrogs on steads, or machines made of Iron), it's a fantastic story.
I find the Tuor-part a bit boring, but that only makes the Fall-part greater.

Last edited by Falagar : 11-25-2003 at 10:41 AM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 10:00 AM   #6
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

The Fall of Gondolin in TBoLT is the most detailed account of the story. The only other completed versions of the story are from the Sketch Mythology and the Quenta Noldorian, both can be found in HoME 4: The Shaping of Middle-earth. The Fall of Gondolin in The Sil is almost word for word with the one from the Quenta Noldorian, which was written in the early 1930's.
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 03:34 PM   #7
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
I find the Tuor-part a bit boring, but that only makes the Fall-part greater.
Awww that sucks! For me, he was the best part of that story

--Linaewen
Old 11-25-2003, 05:29 PM   #8
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Awww that sucks! For me, he was the best part of that story
Well, that's just me. It's (IMO) boring up 'till the point where Tuor reaches Nevrast, but from there and on it gets better (can't remember his speech with Ulmo in that version very well, but I think it was a bit more detailed than the one we get in the Silm.)
Old 11-25-2003, 05:54 PM   #9
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
(can't remember his speech with Ulmo in that version very well, but I think it was a bit more detailed than the one we get in the Silm.)
Yep! Ulmo's speech in the UT version is so great. Love it.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:09 PM   #10
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Yep! Ulmo's speech in the UT version is so great. Love it.
Yeah it is!

Tuor's story is in my top 2 of best stories/books by Tolkien

--Linaewen
Old 11-28-2003, 11:42 PM   #11
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Doesn't matter if some of the ideas were thrown away later (like hordes of Balrogs on steads, or machines made of Iron), it's a fantastic story.
The hordes of Balrogs definitely seems to have been rejected in the later mythos but the mechanical monsters not necessarily so.
From The Shaping of ME: The Quenta
Quote:
At last, and Eärendel was then seven years of age, Morgoth was ready, and he loosed upon Gondolin his Orcs and his Balrogs and his serpents; and of these, dragons of many and dire shapes were now devised for the taking of the city.
Devised sounds like Mechanical to me.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 01:42 PM   #12
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

I, too, find the Tuor part boring, but that is just me. I like the BoLT version better, too, and if JRRT had just edited it a bit, it would have improved the published Sil.