Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2004, 08:27 PM   #1
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Strider Cool article on final screentime for the actors...

Article can be found here:

Farewell to the King

Quote:
Friday, January 2, 2004

Farewell to the King

The principals of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King recall the bittersweet experience of filming their respective final Tolkien scenes.

By Todd Gilchrist

Final shots are often a relief for actors enduring the gauntlet of a film production. It’s the end of their stint on set, and most likely the last time they’ll see many of their colla-borators and co-workers in person. Of course, when you’ve been filming off and on for four years, that feeling is one that seems like it will never arrive.

The Lord Of the Rings’ production originally ran for fourteen months, during which time all three films were shot consecutively. After that, numerous pick-up shots and expansions of scenes were added to flesh out story elements in response to the enormous financial and critical success the first film met. During their recent press day for the film, the actors discussed their final days on the LOTR set, and how they responded to the completion of this life-changing experience.

For once and future king Aragorn, his final shot sadly didn’t even make it into the theatrical cut of the film. Nonetheless, Viggo Mortensen gives us only a taste of his last work, since the extended DVD versions might soon show what director Peter Jackson chose to leave out. “I was running,” explains Mortensen. “It was an extension of the Paths of the Dead [sequence] where I’m speaking to the ghosts and then all hell breaks loose. In the movie as you see it, there’s a cut and then you don’t know what happens. But there’s a bunch of other things that happen.”

Mortensen’s gentle articulation belied the intense (and seemingly difficult) nature of the sequence. “I don’t want to give it away for when you see it, but there’s a big commotion and Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn are running for their lives basically.” Revealing a few secrets of the trade, he adds, “In reality we were on this raised platform that was about this wide [indicates only a few feet] and we were sprinting and pretending to jump over all these obstacles and then there was just the green screen everywhere.”

Giving his final moments a less than memorable sheen, Mortensen tantalizes his audience without giving up too much information. “When you see that scene, there are hordes of armies of the dead and other things that we’re evading and dealing with. So it was just simply us running along a bar-top or something.”

For Ian McKellen, who plays Gandalf, the steadfast wizard who helps humans and hobbits alike in their time of greatest need, his final scene was little more than a bit of extra coverage for one of his most memorable sequences. “There were a number of last shots,” confesses McKellen. “There was the last shot of the principal photography, and then the shot of the various pick-ups, but the last shot this time around was quite recently in July. I had done some generic fighting as Gandalf, which you see in the film- swinging the white staff, pulling [Merry back to] knock Orcs out of the way.”

McKellen differentiates between the principal shooting set-ups and those finished during his return to New Zealand’s makeshift Middle-earth. “Peter said, ‘That’s the end of principal photography’ [the first time], but this time, when we finished, at the end of the day, the crew and anyone working on the film was invited to the reception that, in my case, took place after dark on the battlements of Minas Tirith.”

Unlike McKellen, who seemed to regard the end of his shots with the resolve of his stalwart character, Elijah Wood found more than a little emotion bubbling to the surface as he finished his responsibilities. “I was completely drained. I had knots in my stomach all day, and it came time to do my last shot, and the last shot was actually too perfect, because it was one of the last scenes in the movie, where Frodo is in Bag-End before he goes to the gray haven. There’s a shot where he’s writing the last bit of the book and Sam comes and says, ‘it’s all over,’ and Frodo says ‘no, there’s room for a little more,’ and it had this whole meaning tied into it.”

Wood indicates that it was as trying a moment for his director as it was for himself. “Knowing it’s my last shot and also the symbolism of the scene and I’m like, ‘oh fu----- hell!’ Everybody came to see it, and I remember we did five or six takes, and they checked the gate, and Peter came over to me and broke down, like gave me a hug and broke down on my shoulder. It was so, so sad- everybody was crying.”

Sean Astin, who plays Frodo’s hetero life partner Sam, was as physically as he was emotionally exhausted by the four-year experience. “I was just so exhausted, so tired. When we were down there, maybe it was that I’d put some weight back on for that last little thing. It was in slow motion and Elijah’s got to fall down, and so there was a lot of falling and getting up and falling and getting up, and slow motion turning and looking at the wind.

As trying as that last sequence was for Astin, his director for that day - writer/co-producer Fran Walsh - clearly wasn’t ready to let her actors go quietly back into the underbrush of Middle Earth. “Fran didn’t want it to be over. She wanted us to run over to the sound-mixer and record this four-page speech of poetry that they could use. She didn’t really need to do it then, but I think she didn’t want to let go of that moment.”

For Liv Tyler, her final moment on set was a particularly memorable, if succinctly described one: “The last scene, where I’m kissing the King.” For Orlando Bloom, her elvish partner in mischief (both in the film and the press day), his last sequence set the standard for what the end-of-shooting celebrations would become as the production came to a close. “My last sequence was running into battle with Gimli and taking down some Orcs,” which he later noted did not make it into the final theatrical version. “I was the first person [to finish], so I had absolutely not a clue what it would mean.”

“I was finished, and then Pete sort of shushed everyone up and I completely forgot what I had to do,” Bloom continues. “I wasn’t sure if I had to join in. So I was standing there thinking, ‘do I join in?’” The actor also reveals that a last-minute prop failure ended up being prophetic it was time to say goodbye to yesterday. “My bow actually broke two takes before my last take in the entire movie, the bow that I’d been using for the whole movie. It’s like a steel rod with like a rubber sort of effect as wood, and, I mean, it’s been eighteen months.”
...continued
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote