Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-20-2003, 09:18 AM   #1
Banshee
Sapling

question

I am trying to find out the name of the horse belonging to the son of King Theoden of Rohan. The horse was briefly featured in a scene in The Two Towers as the people of Rohan were preparing to leave for Helms Deep. Do you know the meaning of this name?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 09:42 AM   #2
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

'Banshee'... you'll find that this thread belongs in the "movie forum", but to answer your question, I believe the name was 'Brego'. I'm not sure of the actual meaning (it might be old Anglo-Saxon) - but they took the name from the second king of Rohan for the horse.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 01:43 PM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Moving to the movie forum.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 04:16 PM   #4
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

It's "Brego," which is Anglo-Saxon (Old English) for "king," or "kingly," as Aragorn says in TTT:EE.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 09:51 PM   #5
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowfax
It's "Brego," which is Anglo-Saxon (Old English) for "king," or "kingly," as Aragorn says in TTT:EE.
Actually Aragorn says "your name is kingly" to the horse, because Brego was the name of the second King of Rohan, he was the son of Eorl the Young, founder of Rohan and first of their Kings...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote