Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-06-2003, 10:58 PM   #1
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Video Game Forum

I will post this here since this would be the place for it now. I don't remember seeing a board dedicated to suggestions or anything on this forum.

Anyway, I assume that the lack of topics related to video games can mean only one of two things; that not enough people are interested in video games here, or that everybody thinks that video gaming would be such a broad and expansive topic (while at the same time remaining very selective) that they are afraid of flooding the regular entertainment board with it.

If the last supposition is the case, then I would like the mods to consider creating one and would ask that anybody interested post their support here. Once again I apologize if this is out of place but I couldn't think of a more appropriate place to put this topic.

. . .Anyway since there isn't a video game forum as of yet, what are everybody's favorite video games/genres of games. Or what are you all currently playing.

My two favorite genres are Real Time Strategy and First Person Shooters. I like the Command and Conquer series and StarCraft. I like almost any FPS, but right now Jedi Outcast is my favorite. I also like RPGs, the best one being ChronoTrigger followed by Bahamut Lagoon.

Please discuss, and offer support if willing.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 11:00 PM   #2
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

My favourites are Strategy and Roleplaying Games, and also one Fighting Game. I play Soul Calibur a good deal, and also a fair amount of Shadowbane, an MMORPG.

I'm a but uneasy about a game forum, it seems to me a bit...I don't know...inapprorpiate?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 11:04 PM   #3
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Oh GOSH! I forgot fighting games completely in my rush to get this topic on the board! I have always been a fan of fighting games. My favorite right now being the Tekken series.

And as for inappropriate I have to say that I agree somewhat, but if StarWars is only a set of movies and number of books then why can't we have a place to talk about the huge amount of video games that are floating around out there? Besides, many RPGs have a great fantasy storyline to them, and a ton of FPSs are sci-fi oriented.

**gosh listen to me trying to make a case for this**

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Old 05-06-2003, 11:17 PM   #4
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

I'm into RPG's, Action, Adventure, and some Strategy games. I'm very picky about games, don't ask me why, just not many games I like, but I play the hell out of the ones I do like.
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 11:17 PM   #5
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

No, the Entertainment forum was created as an amalgamation of Movies, TV, Music and Games discussions that deserved their own space outside of General Messages. There are already plenty of threads on specific video games in this forum (albeit scattered) and creation of a new forum is no more justified than creating separate Movies, TV and Music forums at the same time. Please remember that Entmoot is first and foremost a Tolkien (and literature) discussion board. (There are anomalies, yes, but the Star Wars forum dates back to 1999 and was too comprehensive to relocate, and the Harry Potter forum was created due to the presence of several redundant threads on the subject in excess of 200 replies. Neither case applies to video games here.)

However, I'm quite a video games nut myself, so I'll join in this little discussion here.

I love classic platformers the most - side-scrollers from Super Mario Bros. (the mother of them all) to later ones like Donkey Kong Country and Rayman. It's sad that we hardly ever see these games around nowadays, since I spent so much time with them.

On my computer, I hardly play any games other than some RTS ones like StarCraft and WarCraft III. I used to be pretty decent at StarCraft, but after months of playing, I haven't quite got the hang of WC3 yet. Though I do play a lot of the custom maps and mods.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 11:22 PM   #6
Gwaimir Windgem

Yeah, I love the old Mario games and Donkey Kong Country. That game had amazing graphics for it's console.

Some other games I love but haven't played for quite some time include Lords of Magic, Majesty, and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-06-2003, 11:31 PM   #7
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Hrmm, I dont know about a favorite type. I like all kinds! As for what im playing right now, I keep jumping between Morrowind on computer and Dues Ex. Im mainly a computer game nut I think ..but theres so many games I love, I wouldnt know where to start on my favorites
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 11:41 PM   #8
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Thanks for the consideration IP, I do understand the need to keep the number of forums down and I realized that might be a problem when Gwaimir brought it up.

On to more games . . . This is turning very nostalgic. The only thing better than a traditional sidescroller that I can think of is a sidescrolling shooter, like Contra or any of the numerous ones with ships; like the father of all, Gradius.

Back in the day, I was a huge fan of the entire Zelda series (all the way up until and including Ocarina of Time).

I still play the very original Wolfenstein3D, the father of all FPS, almost religiously.

I quite playing WC3 mainly because my computer died and I couldn't reinstall the game correctly again for whatever reason and I was too lazy to try and figure it out. To me it wasn't worth the effort and still is not as good as StarCraft. I have a lot of issues with Blizzard as a company.

Old 05-06-2003, 11:45 PM   #9
Gwaimir Windgem

I know someone who has a lot of issues with them, too. But I doubt it's the same kind of issues...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-06-2003, 11:58 PM   #10
Anglorfin
Alasailon

[rant]Out of any gaming industry I just find their games to be very very unoriginal. A lot of their stuff is just very clever rip-offs of other games, ideas, names, themes, religions, or books. And IMO if they do make a series out of a game that they have produced, as is the case with most Blizzard games, the "original" is in most cases the best one they have anyway. Blizzard just has a tradition of creating bad story lines in their series.[/rant]

Old 05-07-2003, 12:07 AM   #11
Gwaimir Windgem

While I'm not really that much into Blizzard either way, I'm more inclined to agree with you than with my friend (I think he's a priest in the Church of Blizzard, or maybe a bishop... ) WarCraft 3 I'm not into much at all, though I rather liked the original, horrifically graphicked WarCraft.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-07-2003, 01:43 AM   #12
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

I'm mainly into PS2 games at the moment, as I have converted to a mac, and consequently can't play a lot of my games anymore. But my favourites (pc games) are: System Shock, The Longest Journey, Sam & Max, Monkey Island 1 & 2, Day of the Tentacle (seeing a pattern here?), some of the earlier Tomb Raiders, Fade to Black, Baldur's Gate - Shadows of Amn, Neverwinter Nights, and so on. My favourite genre is the adventure game, followed closely by things like Baldurs Gate which follow the Forgotten Realms worlds.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 02:50 AM   #13
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Oh, we can't forget the old-style adventure games! Sam & Max and Tentacle, which you mentioned, were among my favourites. Now I'm tempted to dig them up again. Grim Fandango was also terrific. Monkey Island I never much got into, but that's only because I didn't own them.

There's a new Sam & Max coming out later this year...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 09:52 AM   #14
Gwaimir Windgem

"Things like Baldur's Gate" would be RPG's. Do you only play Forgotten Realms RPG's, or others as well?

P. S. Elminster rules!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-07-2003, 03:19 PM   #15
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Advanced DnD based games like Baldur's Gate are always fun. I always wanted to get into Everquest or something but I really can't devote the time to something like that.

Old 05-07-2003, 05:05 PM   #16
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Baldur's Gate just makes me laugh.

I think the best game is Tekken.
And most RPGs are really fun for me, but I'm still really pathetic at them.
Bust-A-Move is great to play in class.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:53 PM   #17
Gwaimir Windgem

If you're considering an MMORPG, I would definitely suggest Shadowbane. Positively awesome game. More varied races than EverQuest, much more variety in the class area, and a really cool guild system where you can build (and conquer) a city.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-07-2003, 09:24 PM   #18
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

You know, I *do* believe that we have that installed on the computer. I'll have to set up an account sometime.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 09:28 PM   #19
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

anyone have lord of the rings:two towers. how far are you.
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 12:54 AM   #20
Gwaimir Windgem

BoP: Which, EverQuest, or Shadowbane?

Gimli: I have it (or rather, my brother does more than I). He beat it, and I got to like the gate at Helm's Deep before I mosied on. I don't usually stick with games too awfully long.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle