Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-01-2004, 07:05 PM   #1
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

What were the 'Mallorn'?

I least i think thats what there called if i remember. My mate was talking about them but he didnt what he was talking about.

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 07:31 PM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Treebeard Pretty!

The beautiful golden trees of Lothlorien, where the elves built their flets. Galadriel gave Sam a Mallorn seed in the box with the soil. He planted it to replace the destroyed "party tree" and it became the only Mallorn to grow outside of Lothlorien.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:17 AM   #3
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Weren't they in Numenor as well? I believe they were...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 01:27 AM   #4
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

My guide to Middle-earth says that there were mallorn trees in Aman as well, but nothing about them in Numenor.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:23 AM   #5
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

That could be....I'm just a story reader!
Old 02-02-2004, 11:59 AM   #6
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
My guide to Middle-earth says that there were mallorn trees in Aman as well, but nothing about them in Numenor.
I think originally they were from Aman and the Elves brought them to Numenor when it was first created and the Numenorians in turn brought them to Middle Earth but the only place where they would grow was in Lothlorien I think.
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 04:20 PM   #7
Elf Girl
Lurker

But Haldir said no one had mentioned mellyrn across the Sea. He might've just been misinformed, but I suspect he'd know.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 04:26 PM   #8
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

I don't recall reading anything about Mallorn growing in Numenor.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:04 PM   #9
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I'm 99% positive that I've read they were in Numenor as well
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 02-02-2004, 05:48 PM   #10
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
I'm 99% positive that I've read they were in Numenor as well
They are described in UT: A Description of Númenore. They were brought by Elves from the West. Some nuts were given by the sixth king Tar-Aldarion to Gil-galad of Lindon, but they did not take root there. But he gave some to Galadriel, and they thrived in Lothlorien. And at long last, one came to grow in the Shire...
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 05:59 PM   #11
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirinki54
They are described in UT: A Description of Númenore. They were brought by Elves from the West. Some nuts were given by the sixth king Tar-Aldarion to Gil-galad of Lindon, but they did not take root there. But he gave some to Galadriel, and they thrived in Lothlorien. And at long last, one came to grow in the Shire...
Thanks for the confirmation

P.S. I rule

--Linaewen
Old 02-02-2004, 06:05 PM   #12
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain

P.S. I rule
In Numenore... as your title declares. Sure hope you can breathe water!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 07:49 PM   #13
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Well for starters you may want to check out the original name for the tree; the correct Elvish plural is mellyrn.

NÃ*simaldar :
The country around the haven of Eldalondë on Númenor's western coasts. The name means 'fragrant trees', and it was so called because of the great variety of rare and beautiful trees that grew there. It was the only place in Númenor where mallorn trees grew, and it was from the stock of these that the Golden Wood of Lórien came.

Last edited by Spock : 02-02-2004 at 07:58 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 09:56 PM   #14
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

IIRC, somewhere in the HoME is a metion of Mallorns growing in or around Gondolin.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 11:34 PM   #15
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I don't know where in HoMe it says that, but it is certainly stated in Unfinished Tales that the mellyrn could be found in Gondolin. It's in one of J. R. R. Tolkien's texts that maps out the continuation of Tuor's story.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:41 PM   #16
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
Nice.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:13 PM   #17
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
LOL!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 06:34 PM   #18
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

I can definetly imagine Mallorn in Aman and Numenor. Haldir did say he didn't know of any, but as someone said, he might have been misinformed.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:50 PM   #19
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

But he does not have to be misinformed in order to not know anything about mellyrn across the Sea. Judging from his speech with Merry (I think it was Merry), Haldir was not on regular speaking terms with anyone who had seen the Sea--he therefore was not on regular speaking terms with Galadriel, who could have told him all about it (she having dwelt off and on in the seaside city of Alqualondë). Galadriel, also, would have been able to tell him about the mallorn trees of Aman, but as I have said, she apparently did not speak frequently with Haldir.

In other words, Haldir simple didn't hear about mallorn trees in Aman. He wasn't mistaken on this point, in fact what he told the Fellowship was very true--no one could tell him about Aman mellyrn.

There were other Ñoldor in Lothlorien, from the fallen land of Eregion, but I do not know how old those Ñoldor were who came to the land of Lórien. In any case Haldir did not know anyone personally who could tell a great deal about the Sea, and so was not on speaking terms with anyone who could tell him a great deal about anything across the Sea.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:31 AM   #20
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

..probably got it from the guy who ran the coffee truck....