Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-18-2004, 01:47 AM   #121
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Hey mark: you discovered the advantages of being in the cult, I see. Good ol' sand trout.

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Stern
what's with all the women??
I'm not sure, but I think that it's got to do with removing both removing threats from his persona, and also to do with the Breeding Programme that he is undertaking with regards to his Golden Path. You do find out where the Fish Speakers come from, and their purpose later on in the book. And don't worry - Leto's day of reckoning does come about.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:21 AM   #122
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

BOP: Leto's day of reckoning does come about.

Oh, man! Why did you have to go and reveal that!

I hope this reckoning doesn't come about through Siona (though I'm sure it will no doubt)... but don't tell me! I already dislike Siona. She reminds me of Jessica post Dune book 1. I never thought Herbert would take her in that direction. Like abandoning Alia wasn't bad enough, she had to shack up with Gurney too!
Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.

Last edited by Captain Stern : 05-18-2004 at 02:27 AM.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 02:52 AM   #123
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Hey, I didn't say what happens. chill. Besides which, it's mentioned all the way through the book - by leto himself.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 05-18-2004 at 02:54 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 05:37 AM   #124
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

Siona... what a heartless, cold, stubborn, pretentious, horrible old cow!

And Duncan Idaho was hardly any better.

I know Leto had to die sooner or later, but like that?? To kill him in the full knowledge that she could be dooming the race all over again just so that she could get her revenge?!

I'm so angry!

I only wish that Siona had her comeuppance, but it's obvious by the last chapter that she won't and that the sequel will skip that period of the story.

*take's deep breaths*
Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 10:27 AM   #125
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

They only functioned exactly as Leto intended. He manipulated avery aspect of their lives in order to bring them to that ultimate moment. Only the God Emperor could destoy himself but suicide would destroy the plan of the Golden Path. I seems like the interrim period is being covered in retrospect in Heretics.

I like Heretics so far. It's like cycling back to the contentious days of Dune but on a larger scale. Historical cyles of expansion through periods of competition, control, dispersion, (repeat)....

Heretics:
Finally someone figured out hoe to synthesize melange.

So, is melange God poop?
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 05:13 AM   #126
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
So, is melange God poop?
Well, Shai'hulud (the sandworms of Dune) were considered gods...

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 03:27 AM   #127
olsonm
Elf Lord

Well, I just finished Dune. I don't really have anything to add other than "me likey!" But if anyone can give me some spoiler-free opinions about the next books in the series (basically what you thought of it in comparison to Dune) it'd be appreciated.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:39 AM   #128
BeardofPants
the Shrike

My harem grows ever bigger.

edit: Oh, and as a completely impartial bystander(), yes, read them all. They get better and better.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:42 PM   #129
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I resurrected this thread so I could see what people liked/disliked about Dune.

I finished it, and the quick one-sentence review is that it's interesting, imaginative, a page-turner at points, but there's no heart in it I tried and tried to really like it, because I like BoP (whose sig inspired me to read it), but I just didn't connect.

I'll post more next week - weekends are notoriously bad for me to Moot - and I'll read some more posts here.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 08:34 PM   #130
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
I resurrected this thread so I could see what people liked/disliked about Dune.
LOL!!! You Christians... 3 days of inactivity and the first thing you think of...

Just finished Chapterhouse. The ending just left me wanting for more. The epilog caught me by surprise. I think Heretics was my favorite... just couldn't put it down. I found Chapterhouse a bit of a slow starter but just enough mystery to get through to the ending. The commentary about governments and democracy were pretty funny.
I was hoping to see more of Sheeana and the offspring of Murbella and Duncan Idaho.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 06-19-2004, 08:50 PM   #131
old scholar
Hobbit

i loved the dune book especially the first three
i heard that herbert planned to write a sequel were an unsen evil came from the borders of the galaxy and that the project may me resurected by his son
Old 06-19-2004, 10:29 PM   #132
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
LOL!!! You Christians... 3 days of inactivity and the first thing you think of...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 06-19-2004, 11:36 PM   #133
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Just finished Chapterhouse. The ending just left me wanting for more.
Yes, the bastard had the gall to die before finishing off the series. His son is supposed to be writing the 7th dune book sometime, but oh.... sacrilege!

Rian, don't worry, I won't take it personally that it didn't grab you. I'm interested in hearing why, though.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:02 AM   #134
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
His son is supposed to be writing the 7th dune book sometime, but oh.... sacrilege!
Since he chose to write the prequels first I'm not holding my breath for a masterpiece, useless he was just honing his skills.

How about Sheeana gets pregnant by Teg and then undergoes the Leto II transformation and spawns a race of worm people who battle for control with the the Face Dancing Honored Matre Bene Gesserit witch whores for control of all the Universes?

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 06-20-2004, 12:05 AM   #135
old scholar
Hobbit

i heard somewhere that the 7th book envolves some evil that pursued the honored matres out of their homes after the scattering and that the beneg and the honored matres need to join forcees to save the day
but yours is good too
Old 06-20-2004, 12:25 AM   #136
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:

LOL!!! I'm a Christian and I like Dune. My favorite's God Emperor and then Dune and Heretics of Dune.

Maybe you meant American Christians. <ducks>

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 12:26 AM   #137
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by old scholar
but yours is good too
Thanks... but I still haven't worked in the Duncan Idaho ghola. It just wouldn't be the same without him. Maybe something twisted with Scytale converted into a cross-dressing axlotl tank?

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 06-20-2004, 12:58 AM   #138
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
LOL!!! I'm a Christian and I like Dune. My favorite's God Emperor and then Dune and Heretics of Dune.

Maybe you meant American Christians. <ducks>
hehe. Yea, those are my favorites, too. People seem to love or strongly dislike God Emperor. I went to Amazon to look at customer reviews. All 2, 4 or 5 stars. Barely any three.

I loved the layout of Heretics with time compressing as the plot lines multiply until the passage of the last day takes quite a few chapters. The only complaint I had was that it seemed that he decideed it had gotten long enough and wrapped up the story too quickly. Ah weel, leave them wanting more.

PS I just like to tease Ri. Although I can see where Herbert is kind of hard on the concept of religion. But he's pretty evenly cruel to all aggregations of power.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 06-21-2004, 12:30 AM   #139
Rían

Quote:
PS I just like to tease Ri.
(um, actually I didn't even get what you meant by 3 days of inactivity - the thread had been inactive more than 3 days, so I don't know what you're referring to - I'm in one of my dense moods, I guess (no snide comments about that mood being permanant, please! ) - but of course I knew what you meant re 3 days and resurrection and appreciated the spirit of fun!)

I'll put up some details prob. tomorrow, BoP - hoping for a bit of Moot time.

Old 06-23-2004, 05:23 PM   #140
Rían

OK, let me try to express my thoughts about Dune, since you wanted to hear, BoP. It might take a few go's to get across what I mean, so be patient and ask me if it doesn't make sense.

What I meant by "no heart" is the biggest flaw in the book, IMO. It's the whole feeling I get that people are almost ... consumed, in a sense. They're only good for whatever they can give someone, then when they're used up, they're tossed aside like an empty can. It's almost ... ogre-ish, if you know what I mean.

Mentats are good - why? - because they're super-intelligent.

If someone can be BG-trained so they're useful for the BG goals, then great - if it ruins their life, so what? Our goals are furthered.

Would telling someone something hurt their heart? Well, go ahead and tell them, if it furthers your own goal.

Would marrying Jessica or Chani be an act of self-sacrificing love that might ruin my future alliances and chances at the throne? Yes - so don't marry them. Instead, marry the emperor's daughter, in the full knowledge that you'll never love her or even try to love her; so what if HER life is ruined. After all, gotta go for my goal!

The whole still-suit thing made me kinda gag, too! (every time it was mentioned, it made me realize how much I swallow my own saliva, and it somehow tasted bad! ) But I think it's kind of an analogy, intentional or not, of the whole book - me, me, me; use, use, use. Altho I fully understand the importance of it in an environment like that, and am sure it was a technological marvel.

The few glimpses of non-goal-oriented choices were like a breath of fresh air. I'm sure that's why so many people liked Duncan Idaho. I also liked Leto - better than his son, Paul.