Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-31-2004, 05:45 AM   #1
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Well... most of you probably know, the release date is July 16, 2005. You also probably know that J.K. has proclaimed that another major character is going to be killed off. Just for the fun of it, I thought that maybe we could toss around some predictions as to who it might be. (Since my family and I are going to be debating it until the day the book comes out.)

First, let me just say that, after killing off one of my two favourite characters in OotP, she'd better not kill of Lupin in this one.

Now, I think that the character could be someone like one of the Weasleys, a rather innocent character. My Grandmother (who is just as into the books as I am) seems to think that maybe Percy could be trying to redeem himself by saving someone else's life with his. I don't particularly agree, but that's because I can't stand Percy.

My father, on the other hand "has his money on Dumbledore." I don't think, however, that J.K. would kill him off just yet, would she? I mean, she could, but then the last book would be almost completely pointless, considering good ol' Voldie could probably just walk into Hogwarts and kill 'em all off, eh?

Well, there's my two bits for this early morn'. Comments, thoughts?
Old 12-31-2004, 11:49 PM   #2
inked
Elf Lord

Rhudhaglarien,

I must say that thy Dad and me, we agree!
Dumbledore it MUST be!
Only then can JKR King crown Harry!
Who leads the OoTP, reclaiming Sovereignty!
From Voldemort, half-blood principality,
Usurper, governing malignantly!
'Til Harry redeems wizardry -
Fitting end to this septology!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 12-31-2004 at 11:51 PM.
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 11:00 AM   #3
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I think it could be Percy for the reason your grandmother said. I think Dunbledore will die in the last book.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 11:53 AM   #4
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Great poem Inked! But I think Rûdhaglarien is right. If Voldemort was dead Harry would be screwed! Think of how many times Dumbledore has saved him. The prophecy might be about Harry, and though he is brave, talented at magic, and lucky, he's still no match for Voldemort, a powerful and unscrupulous veteran of magical wars.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 04:11 AM   #5
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Only then can JKR King crown Harry!
Who leads the OoTP, reclaiming Sovereignty!
I don't think JKR will ever have Harry leading the OotP. Dumbledore's not going to die until the last book... and I agree, Rudh, if JKR kills off Lupin I'll have a conniption or something. I'm thinking one of the Weasleys. I really, really hope it's not one of the twins. That'd be too terrible.
In dark green ivy, and among wild larches?"

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum.
Minielin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 01:31 PM   #6
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I think it could be Snape. Either him or Percy. If Snape dies I think he will die saving Harry from Voldemort, or Voldemort will ind out that Snape is ndercovver for the OotP.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 01:59 PM   #7
Elf Girl
Lurker

I'm SURE it's Victor Krum. He has to get out of the way so Ron and Hermione can get together. He's a good guy and totally dedicated to her,so he can't dump her or turn to the Dark Arts, so he has to die. It'll be a noble death, possibly defending Hermione.

Last edited by Elf Girl : 01-02-2005 at 05:12 PM.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:23 PM   #8
Manveru
Elven Warrior

it'll be Harry
Where the shores are sheer and dim
He launched his bark like a silver spark
From the last and lonely sand;
Then on sunlit breath of day's fiery death
He sailed from Westerland
Manveru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 08:50 PM   #9
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minielin
I don't think JKR will ever have Harry leading the OotP. Dumbledore's not going to die until the last book... and I agree, Rudh, if JKR kills off Lupin I'll have a conniption or something. I'm thinking one of the Weasleys. I really, really hope it's not one of the twins. That'd be too terrible.
Yeah... Dumbledore is definitely gone the last book, though, and one of my friends even has this entire plan where Harry must die in order to kill Voldemort. See, her theory (parody?) is this: Harry's scar is like the One Ring, and Voldemort is drawing power from it just as Sauron did from the Ring, so Harry must be destroyed in order to kill Voldemort. I dunno, I wouldn't be surprised, but I'd be upset.

I hope that it's not one of the twins either! But, it could be. I mean, think about it, they may goof off most of the time, but they're completely dedicated to their family and friends, I wouldn't put it past them to go down defending Harry or something.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:05 PM   #10
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manveru
it'll be Harry
lol!!

JKR: I lied, it's a six book series. Sukkahs!! *evil chortling*

And anguished cries of "Nooooooo" can be heard around the globe...

I don't usually make death predictions, but I will be choked if Neville, George, Fred, Ron, Dumbledore, or Hermione dies.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 09:57 PM   #11
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

lol!

Anyway, I highly doubt that Hermione'll go down. Ron I think is likely, as is Dumbledore and Harry. The rest of the Weasleys are also likely, I think, especially Bill, Charlie, Arthur and Molly, since they're the most likely to be in trouble or hurt, being in the Order, or Fred or George.
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 05:48 AM   #12
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirigorn
The rest of the Weasleys are also likely, I think, especially Bill, Charlie, Arthur and Molly, since they're the most likely to be in trouble or hurt, being in the Order.
Yes, my bets are on one of them (most likely not Molly... though that'd be an interesting twist.)

Old 01-03-2005, 01:29 PM   #13
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I reckon that it may be someone from the order, like maybe Tonks or something. Perhaps Moody.

Btw, I correctly predicted Sirius last time.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:19 PM   #14
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
I reckon that it may be someone from the order, like maybe Tonks or something. Perhaps Moody.
Tonks, maybe... but I don't think Moody. Not yet, anyway. I'm betting there's more to come about him- he's just the type that could have a lot more character expansion and background history. JKR hasn't really dug into that yet, and it seems like she's setting him up for it. But maybe that's just me...

Old 01-03-2005, 02:45 PM   #15
BeardofPants
the Shrike

You could be right... However, it always felt the same for Sirius as well.

I haven't read any of the interviews, but does the person that dies have to be good? I'm wondering if maybe it could be wormtail?
Old 01-03-2005, 02:51 PM   #16
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
I haven't read any of the interviews, but does the person that dies have to be good? I'm wondering if maybe it could be wormtail?
That's certainly possible, especially since she said, I think, that we would see him in the sixth book. When she says "someone dies" I think it is a tendency that I, at least, have to assume that it's a good guy.

Old 01-04-2005, 12:02 AM   #17
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

That's what I think, too.... we wouldn't complain or be sad if it was a bad guy. I for one am hoping for a) Wormtail or b) Bellatrix.

Moody is likely, I think. I don't know why, really... but I think that he's getting so old, he might be losing his touch, and you can't expect to be unscathed after spending 10 months in a trunk, stunned. It most likely slowed him down. Tonks is possible, but I hope not.

Okay, maybe not Molly...
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 09:18 AM   #18
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirigorn
That's what I think, too.... we wouldn't complain or be sad if it was a bad guy. I for one am hoping for a) Wormtail or b) Bellatrix.
I'll go with that... death to Bellatrix!

Old 01-04-2005, 09:29 AM   #19
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Is Bellatrix a major character though? I don't tihnk so... she doesn't do much in any of the books. And in the fourth, didn't Crouch torture the Longbottoms? Why did Rowling change it to Bellatrix?
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 09:32 AM   #20
Minielin
Elven Warrior

There were four accused/convicted of torturing the Longbottoms... Bellatrix, husband & brother (the Lestranges) and Crouch Jr.