Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-07-2004, 06:17 PM   #121
Janny
The Blobbit

EDIT: Oops. This is not the Christmas Blobbit, this is sun-star - unable to log out of Janny's account. Also much less keen on French cheese than the fat one, as should be self-evident from his photo

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.

Last edited by Janny : 12-07-2004 at 06:46 PM.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 06:45 PM   #122
sun-star
Lady of Letters

(I finally got it right)

Quote:
Let them eat cheddar
Ha! What a slogan

I don't really know why British food has a bad reputation. It's just food like any other food...
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:21 PM   #123
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Anyone know how to make proper calamari without making it taste like rubber?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:52 PM   #124
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
The basic secret is NOT to overcook them.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:22 PM   #125
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

well... theres a fine line between tire tread and fish bait I have found... and you cross the line rather quickly. It seems to be an art...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 05:36 PM   #126
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Sun-star, it might have to do with how everything's mushy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
If you find out, let me know...
Old 01-10-2005, 08:08 PM   #127
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Probably has to be "tentacly" fresh! I sort of like some chewiness...the same with clams. My fave is steamed (with a little wine+herbs) mussels. Hard to get good seafood in Indiana though....
Old 01-11-2005, 06:56 AM   #128
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizra
. Hard to get good seafood in Indiana though....
You don't need to tell me that. Here, when I was little, we lived on the shore - so we went right to the docks and got our fish as it was coming off the boats in Pt Pleasant (I went to school 3 blocks from the ocean). Can't get much fresher than that.

Calamari is difficult to make - but it's similar to most seafood I think. You just want to cook it for a very short time. Calamari should melt in your mouth and that's how I usually judge a good seafood restaurant. If they can make calamari - then they know how to cook seafood. In Indiana - we never had lobster or any kind of seafood out because they didn't know how to cook it and it would always be tough - especially lobster.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-11-2005 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:37 AM   #129
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Melt in your mouth calamari!? THAT I would like to try...asap! ....Wonder what kind wine will be best with that....
Old 02-17-2005, 11:56 AM   #130
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I've heard white wines go best with seafood. But I'm not a wine expert. Mmmm Calamari... so, when's dinner?

My cookbook has been a source of endless hilarity. Allow me to present the best quote of the Five Roses Cookbook - A Guide to Good Cooking, reprint of 1967 edition.

From the heading of the "Pastries and Pies" section... (p.74)

Every woman wants to make that perfect "melt-in-your-mouth" pastry that the family will brag about. Follow these simple but important rules, and a light, tender pastry will result.

That happens to be one of my goals in life, but it's not exactly the be-all-end-all of my existence...
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 01:32 PM   #131
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I've heard white wines go best with seafood. But I'm not a wine expert. Mmmm Calamari... so, when's dinner?
Well that isn't always true actually. If it's a maranara sauce or a red sauce (such as with fried calamari or linguiini and red clam sauce) then red wine should be served. It has more to do with how the fish is prepared that determines the type of wine and not the fact that it's fish. Broiled flounder or scallopini is defintely a white wine dish.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-17-2005, 05:16 PM   #132
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Interesting... any connection between red sauce = red wine and white fish = white wine? What would you have with bar-be-queued salmon?

Here's another question for everyone. I'm very confused. Is one cup 225 mL or 250mL?
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 02-17-2005, 05:23 PM   #133
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Interesting... any connection between red sauce = red wine and white fish = white wine? What would you have with bar-be-queued salmon?
Wel if it's a red spicy barbeque sauce - then you can have red. If it's basted with seasoned olive oil - then white.

It depends on the flavor of the food that you will be eating as to what kind of wine you serve.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-18-2005, 03:41 AM   #134
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I think I'll have a freshly caught BC salmon in olive oil, pepper and garlic, wrapped in tinfoil and cooked over a camp fire. But with campfires, food must be served with beer!

My dad answered the cup thing - it's 250 mL.
Quote:
Old 02-18-2005, 04:19 AM   #135
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
I had these huge, rubbery lumps of indigestible kak lolling about in my gob.
Know any South Africans?

Nurv, the hard & fast rules of the past when it comes to matching wines with food (red meats = red wines / white meats = white wines) are a thing of the past, nowadays it's pretty much a question of what you like and how it compliments the food (you don't want the taste of the wine to overpower the dish you are serving).

For instance I love red wines, especially Shiraz and on the odd occasion a merlot or pinot noir, but these are all rather robust wines so it wouldn't do to have them with a delicately flavoured dish such as saffron-yoghurt chicken (saffron is a very delicate flavour and you wouldn't taste a thing if you had a heavy red with it) - in that case I'd rather go for a light dry white or if you prefer a semi-sweet (ugh) maybe a fruitier off-dry. Not to say that I don't drink red wine with fish dishes though.

To me the weather also plays a big role - if I am entertaining outside in summer I'd rather serve white wine than red, it just 'feels' lighter, in winter I'd rather serve red or gluwhein (spiced wine).

Whatever you do though, make sure you know the wine you are serving (test a few different types and decide on your favourite before serving them to anyone else), the worst thing is to open a bottle of wine and no-one can drink the stuff. Oh and have more than one bottle of wine on hand when entertaining, make them of different types too as everyone doesn't drink the same thing.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:56 AM   #136
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i drinks whatever i got in the kitchen *hic* *hic,hic*, lol
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:01 PM   #137
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Baby-K... You have exquisite taste in wine. Anyone who likes shiraz roxxors the oneoneone in my book.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:34 AM   #138
Baby-K
Corruptor

I'll have to invite you to share a glass of Fleur du Cap.....still my favourite Shiraz ever.

(Maybe you & Natalie should venture to this side of the world & we'll go do the wine route )
Old 02-26-2005, 02:55 AM   #139
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby-K
Nurv, the hard & fast rules of the past when it comes to matching wines with food (red meats = red wines / white meats = white wines) are a thing of the past, nowadays it's pretty much a question of what you like and how it compliments the food (you don't want the taste of the wine to overpower the dish you are serving).

For instance I love red wines, especially Shiraz and on the odd occasion a merlot or pinot noir, but these are all rather robust wines so it wouldn't do to have them with a delicately flavoured dish such as saffron-yoghurt chicken (saffron is a very delicate flavour and you wouldn't taste a thing if you had a heavy red with it) - in that case I'd rather go for a light dry white or if you prefer a semi-sweet (ugh) maybe a fruitier off-dry. Not to say that I don't drink red wine with fish dishes though.

To me the weather also plays a big role - if I am entertaining outside in summer I'd rather serve white wine than red, it just 'feels' lighter, in winter I'd rather serve red or gluwhein (spiced wine).

Whatever you do though, make sure you know the wine you are serving (test a few different types and decide on your favourite before serving them to anyone else), the worst thing is to open a bottle of wine and no-one can drink the stuff. Oh and have more than one bottle of wine on hand when entertaining, make them of different types too as everyone doesn't drink the same thing.
Good post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurv
But with campfires, food must be served with beer!
I've tried, but I still don't like beer
I like to cook sausages in beer, tho!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 02:55 PM   #140
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

That was a great post Baby-K. I like Shiraz too, I've had some nice Australian ones.

I'm going to go see what my trainwreck of an attempt at baking bread turns out.

Just so you know, if you use older flour, use much less than what the recepie calls for because it soaks up the moisture much more. Let the dough speak to you. Only enough flour to make the dough not sticky is needed. If it's not sticking to your hands, stop adding flour, even if you've added much less than what the recepie calls for. That's what I learned today.
Quote: