Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-14-2002, 09:19 AM   #1
zavron
Chieftain of The Order of The Blue Flame

Dragon Info

here is some info on dragons for your hearts delight!!

enjoy!

dragons
here is some info on dragons for people out there who are interested:

Dragons

Dragons was the heaviest of all Morgoth servants they were also his last. There was two kind of Dragons, the firedragons, who were hot and had no wings, and then cold dragons who had fire too, but not as hot and in the same amount as the Fire-Dragons. Instead they had wings and were able to fly. Morgoth`s first attempts in making these huge and cruel creatures were the serpents. , but the winged dragons were the last of his beasts he createt. Morgoth had long tried to breed winged creatures and many a bird or eagle had lost its life in the caves of Angband where Morgoth and his servants had tried to squize the secret of flying from them. The winged Dragons was not ready before the end of the First age. But at that time Morgoth was so overwelming that only the host of the Valar could save the world from his evil reign.

Dragons are cunning and cleaver creatures with a razorsharp mind. How they precisely were breed and of what is nowhere told but we may suspect they were made by sorcery and fire. In the early tales it is told how the serpents had hearts of fire and bodies of steel. The later Dragons had.....

Dragons had sharp and keen eyes, an exeptionel sence of smell and a memory beyond imagination. If they once had senced a smell it was never forgotten, and no matter how great a treasure they had stolen and were guarding they would, by the penny, know the exact amount and furthermore know if just the tiniest jewel were missing. Dragons loved to speak in riddles and one of the few ways to get close to living dragon without loosing your life instantly were to tease it with puzzles and riddles but the highest level of awareness was needed for they are inteligent creatures and one could soon be under its spell.

Related links.: Battles.: War of Wrath.

Dragons.
Ancalagon.
Glaurung.
Smaug.
Scatha.

Ancalagon.

Ancalagon the Black, a winged Dragon, he was the Lord of the winged Dragons. Morgoth brided and let loose in the last Battle of Beleriand "The war of Wrath" it is told that Earendil slew him and in his fell from the sky he broke Thangorodrim.

Related Links.: Battles.: War of Wrath. Encyc.: Ancalagon.

Glaurung.

The father of all dragons, he first time appears between the 2 and 3 battle of Beleriand 260 years after the raising of the Sun and Moon, slain by Turin F.A.499. Glaurung was a hot Dragon without wings. In F.A.260 issued Glaurung for the first time. He came from the gates of Angband by night but he was scarce halfgrown but the Elves fleed before him to Dorthonion and Ered Wethrin but Fingon rode against him with archers upon horseback, and hemmed him round with a ring of swift riders. And Glaurung was dismayed, for he could not endure there darts, being not yet come to his full armoury and he fled back to angband. Glaurung sacked Nargothrond in F.A.495. He came from Angband with a host of Orcs into Hithlum and did great evil, and he came over the mountains Ered Withrin and down at the other side, destroyed the Pools of Ivrin and came into the realm of Narog where he found the caves Nargothrond because Turin had pursuaded the Elves to abandon there stealth / ambush strategy they used for open war. In that battle; the battle of Tum-Halad Glaurung are victorious and he enters Nargothrond. In F.A.496 comes Morwen and Nienor with a small host of Elves commanded by Mablung out of Doriath to seek Turin but instead they meet Glaurung who bewitched Nienor and she ran lost into the wood, Morwen escapes but are also lost. Mablung returns to Doriath. In F.A.499 assailes Glaurung Brethil but is slain by Turin.

Related Links.: Battles.: Battle of Tum-Halad. Encyc.: Glaurung.

Smaug.

A winged Dragon known from the Hobbit.

Smaug came from the Withered Heath in the Ered Mithrim when he heard of the treasure Thrór, the King under the Mountain had gathered in the Lonely Mountain in Erebor. Smaug descented upon the Lonely Mountain and drove Thrór out, ruined Dale, and devastated the whole region in Third age 2770.

Killed by Bard from Esgaroth in Third age 2941. He used his black arrow who was forged by the Dwarves in the smithies beniath the Lonely Mountain in happier days.

Smaug was a huge redgolden and exeptionel greedy, strong and cruel Dragon and he had a liking for eating young girls.

Related Links.: Encyc.: Smaug.

Scatha.

Dragon in Ered Mithrim.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gil- galad was an elven king.
Of him the harpers sadly sing:
the last whose realm was fair and free
between the mountains and the sea.

His sword was long, his lance was keen,
his shinig helm afar was seen;
the countless stars of heaven's field
were mirrored in his silver shield.

But long ago he rode away,
and where he dwelleth none can say;
for into darkness fell his star
in mordor where the shadows are.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
zavron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 02:16 PM   #2
L@ur@y Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Gollum

Thankz of the info.
L@ur@y Elven Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 04:17 PM   #3
Nilore
Elven Warrior

Location: I am every where and I am no where, I am everyone and I am no-one! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
dragons rule, well the good ones. that reminds me, would any of you like to join dragons rpg?

Raise the Phial of Galadriel and let the Star Glass of Lothlorian cast out the Darkness of Shelob's Lair.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Naur an edraith ammen! Naur dan i ngaurholth!

There was a roar and a crackle, and the tree above him burst into a leaf and bloom of blinding flame. The whole hill was crowned with a dazzling light!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bhûl latu dûmp

Accept Your DOOM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DIE MERE MORTALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh NO I AM A MERE MORTAL

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Stop the NUKE Stop the NUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nilore writes last will and testament.

Gets on knees

And begs God for Mercy.

Realizes He's already dead

Flies up to heaven ( By the power of Red Bull) and lives happily ever after. THE END

( It's a MINI adventure)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nilore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 05:59 PM   #4
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Cool stuff, but where did it come from? I don't widh to nit-pick, but I did notice one fallacy - it says in the first paragraph of this post that Morgoth created the Dragons. Remember, Morgoth can't create, he can only twist things(like Elves to Orcs)

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 05:36 AM   #5
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

Cool info! That's a great help for my fan fic thankyou! Mx
Old 01-09-2003, 06:17 AM   #6
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

I love all the dragon info, cos hey, i love dragons. As for dragons RPG, i've never tried RPG, so i would be like a lost little dwarf in the west. What did hey use to create dragons then? I cant think of anything similar to mangle into one. No offence zavron but your grammar could be better, i know this is me talking but still...

Dont heckle the supervillain

Note to Self: Remember that sarcasm is hard to detect from text.

What ever you do, don't click this link!

my LJ
Dwarven Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 12:21 PM   #7
Fingolfin_1st
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

i noted that you did not have any info for scatha the dragon but i do so here it is:

SCATHAragon of the grey mountains.Scatha the worm was a dragon who in the second millenium of the thrid age of the sun led his brood of Cold drakes into the gold-rich kingdom of the dwarves in the Grey mountains.There they slaughtered the dwarves and took their hordes of gold.In time prince fram son of frumgar of the eotheod entered the grey mountains and slew scatha the worm and took his hoard.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:49 PM   #8
Guardian_of_the_Forest
Enting

Treebeard

thanks! learned a couple new things. Glad you included Ancalagon as that was one of my past e-mail addresses.
Guardian_of_the_Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 09:55 PM   #9
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

i love dragons. when i went to ireland i got this crystal dragon on a bed of gold from waterford crystal. it reminded me of smaug in the hobbit.

anyway thanks for the info
Old 02-04-2003, 03:44 PM   #10
The Warden of the Keys
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by zavron
here is some info on dragons for your hearts delight!!
Where did this 'information' on dragons come from? Some of the information is false if the author is trying to pass this off as info about JRR Tolkien's dragons.

A couple of points:

Quote:
The winged Dragons was not ready before the end of the First age.
Ancalagon the Black was a winged dragon that fought in the War of Wrath before the end of the 1st Age.

And some of this stuff seems to have been completely the work of the authors imagination or is not relative to Middle Earth:

Quote:
Morgoth had long tried to breed winged creatures and many a bird or eagle had lost its life in the caves of Angband where Morgoth and his servants had tried to squize the secret of flying from them.
Where did the author get this bit of info

Quote:
In the early tales it is told how the serpents had hearts of fire and bodies of steel
This is from the Book of Lost Tales which was Tolkien's very early attempt to create a mythology for England. These stories had nothing to do with Middle Earth eventhough some parts of the stories re-appeared in the Silmarillion mythology. The Book of Lost Tales stands on its own and is not part of the Middle Earth mythology. Middle Earth dragons did not have bodies made of steel...dragons in the story of the Fall of Gondolin (Book of Lost Tales 2) did.

Last edited by The Warden of the Keys : 02-04-2003 at 05:51 PM.
The Warden of the Keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 03:14 PM   #11
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Wow, good info.

One question . . .

After Morgoth created, or twisted, the dragons into their permanent shape, where did they go? According to LotR timelines, they appeared around 2570 Third Age and began 'plaguing the Dwarves'. What were they doing before?

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 12:28 AM   #12
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

They were always there. Dragons were recorded in the silmarillion. In 2750 the dwarves moved north into their territory and stirred them up again.