Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-04-2002, 04:17 PM   #1
Imladris
Elven Warrior

Vote For The Best Crime Book- Ever!!!

Some people prefer, Edgar Allan Poe, Sir. Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie and other famous late nineteenth early twentieth century crime writersa. Some prefer more of the modern ones such as; Ian Rankin, Rendell and Cornwall.

Which crime book, do you think, is the best and why?
My favourite collection is that of Sherlock Holmes (by Sir. A.D. Doyle). I think they are the best in crime due to the fact they have the element of dedection. Not dedection in which it is impossible for the reader to solve the mystery: but detection in which we have only the clues that the sleuth has and, if we possess the logic we can solve ourselves!!

So, begin the voting, the best crime book(s) and author(s), and, why?
Old 04-04-2002, 05:21 PM   #2
Jadera
Elven Warrior

Wow, that's really hard, especially since I like so many crime novels....(what does this say about me, I wonder?)

Conan Doyle is an excellent author, but sometimes the Sherlock Holmes stories can get a little dry. (Not that I don't love 'em!)

I would have to vote for Rex Stout, the creator of Nero Wolfe. In all of his NW books, you can count on a good mystery, humor, drama, and the chemistry between Wolfe and Archie Goodwin. I mean, what other dectective steps out of his house only six times in the series? It's great.

~Chivalry isn't dead, it just transferred to women~
Jadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 02:43 PM   #3
Imladris
Elven Warrior

I believe Mycroft Holmes, a rarely seen and as far as I know the only brother of Sherlock Holmes, is a brilliant "armchair detective".
"Surpassing Holmes in logic but not energy."
Old 04-05-2002, 03:15 PM   #4
Jadera
Elven Warrior

True, and it's a shame that Doyle didn't use him more, since there was a lot of tension between Mycroft and Sherlock. But Doyle wrapped him up in government work.

Old 04-08-2002, 03:15 PM   #5
Imladris
Elven Warrior

Does no one like crime; come on have your say in a heated debate! Oops forgot to turn the radiator off!
Old 04-10-2002, 12:56 AM   #6
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep.

Hammett might have invented the stereotypical hard-boiled private eye in The Maltese Falcon with Sam Spade, but the moody first-person narrative of Chandler's Philip Marlowe really set the gold standard for the P.I. novel.

Among "cozies", I prefer Christie over Conan Doyle. And Then There Were None is in all respects a classic, and Murder on the Orient Express was the height of the Poirot series.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 08:35 PM   #7
Jadera
Elven Warrior

My mom and a friend of mine enjoy Agatha Christie a lot. Well, for my mom that isn't saying much, she reads everything! I always had a hard time reading Christie's books. The Poirot character is great, but I found the books tedious to read for some reason. The movies are great though. Especially the Murder of Roger Ackroyd, because Jamie Bamber was in it.

Old 04-12-2002, 10:47 PM   #8
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I haven't read much crime/mystery, but The Hound of the Baskervilles is by far my favorite Sherlock Holmes story. I love the "supernatural family legend" element of the story.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 03:54 PM   #9
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
I say Ceremony in Death by J.D. Robb, it's actually got and ending that you don't geuss immediately.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 03:58 PM   #10
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Re: Vote For The Best Crime Book- Ever!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Imladris
Some people prefer, Edgar Allan Poe, Sir. Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie and other famous late nineteenth early twentieth century crime writersa. Some prefer more of the modern ones such as; Ian Rankin, Rendell and Cornwall.

Which crime book, do you think, is the best and why?
My favourite collection is that of Sherlock Holmes (by Sir. A.D. Doyle). I think they are the best in crime due to the fact they have the element of dedection. Not dedection in which it is impossible for the reader to solve the mystery: but detection in which we have only the clues that the sleuth has and, if we possess the logic we can solve ourselves!!

So, begin the voting, the best crime book(s) and author(s), and, why?
THat's not exactly true. We only have the clues that watson sees, and Holmes is a lot more observent than Watson. You don't always get all the clues. Well you get them all at the end, but then you want to keep reading, not mull over the clues.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 04-19-2002, 04:19 PM   #11
Imladris
Elven Warrior

There are always a few exceptions to the rule, I agree, but, in nine and a half out of ten stories (19/20) you always get the only clues that Holmes uses. He does have background information on the criminals but these are the stories in which there are no clues to get, but merely a criminal to catch. For example the idea of the short story called, "The Adventure of the Dying Detective," is to realise that Holmes is faking the illness.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:41 PM   #12
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

I haven't read all the books so you may be right. But i think i like easy mysteries, like Trixie Beldens.

Old 04-19-2002, 08:30 PM   #13
Jadera
Elven Warrior

Oh my gosh, I didn't know anybody else even knew about Trixie Belden. I found some of those books at a used book store and loved them! I even did a report on one for school I liked it so much. Did you notice that the author changes partway through the series?

I forgot about 'teen' mysteries, like Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys. I always preferred Hardy Boys myself (die hard Frank fan here) but that's probably because I inherited the entire collection from my older brother.

Last edited by Jadera : 04-19-2002 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-21-2002, 11:28 AM   #14
Imladris
Elven Warrior

10 more votes needed before I place any statistics!!!
Get voting now!!
Old 04-27-2002, 07:43 AM   #15
Imladris
Elven Warrior

Come on...I'm waiting...
Old 04-27-2002, 07:14 PM   #16
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Jadera
Oh my gosh, I didn't know anybody else even knew about Trixie Belden. I found some of those books at a used book store and loved them! I even did a report on one for school I liked it so much. Did you notice that the author changes partway through the series?

I forgot about 'teen' mysteries, like Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys. I always preferred Hardy Boys myself (die hard Frank fan here) but that's probably because I inherited the entire collection from my older brother.
i've read every book in the series. I found them right when my library was selling the entire collection. I got a discount since I bought almost all of them. I didn't realize that the author changed. I love the one when they inadvetently accuse their fav author of murder then find out that not only had they done so, but that he was also the same authors that both Trixie and her brother were constantly arguing about. I don't suppose any one read Mrs. Polifax too? i always like the Hardy boy and Nancy drew combos. They always had fun. Remember when they got Frnks brother in the Lie Detcector when they were on opp. sides of the case? With Hardy senior as the prosecution and nancy's dad as the defense attorney?

Last edited by TwirlingString : 04-27-2002 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-03-2002, 04:40 AM   #17
Imladris
Elven Warrior

Hello? is nobody replying doesn't anyone else like crime books?
Cxome on...don't be shy.
Old 05-04-2002, 02:57 PM   #18
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I got a Dashiell Hammett passage on an exam on Thursday, on which I had to write an analytical commentary. That was a gift from above.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 02:25 PM   #19
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
P D James is my favourite Crime author (I've just begun reading "A Mind To Murder" and have 15 more to go). She truly writes thrilling "who-dunnits".
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 08:16 PM   #20
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Imladris
Hello? is nobody replying doesn't anyone else like crime books?
Cxome on...don't be shy.
Well... I like Bobbsey Twins, Clues Brothers, In Death, Emma Victor, One For the Money (etc.), Sherlock Holmes, and that's all I remember right now. (Does Dick Tracy count?)