Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

The LAST meeting of the White Council

Appendix B of LOTR shows 2953 as the last meeting of the White Council.

However - I think they met one more time. At least the major players. Although it was not a regularly scheduled, pre-announced meeting.

In late August of 3019, Gandalf, Galadriel, Celeborn, Elrond - and other prominent Elves of Elrond's household - met Saruman while traveling with the Hobbits back to all their own homes.

I only just realized that with this meeting happening in north Dunland, which is just south of Eregion - where the Elven Rings were made, all those long years before.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:42 AM   #2
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
Appendix B of LOTR shows 2953 as the last meeting of the White Council.

However - I think they met one more time. At least the major players. Although it was not a regularly scheduled, pre-announced meeting.

In late August of 3019, Gandalf, Galadriel, Celeborn, Elrond - and other prominent Elves of Elrond's household - met Saruman while traveling with the Hobbits back to all their own homes.

I only just realized that with this meeting happening in north Dunland, which is just south of Eregion - where the Elven Rings were made, all those long years before.

Hmmm- would that be official, though? I thought the White Council was set up for the specific purpose of dealing with the Necromancer/Sauron.

Unless it was a wrap-up- "if there are no 'nay' votes, I officially declare this committee dissolved."

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
Niffiwan
Sapling

How many members have to be present for it to officially count as a "meeting"? Cirdan and Radagast were not present in the one you describe. Although actually, I'm not sure WHAT happens to Radagast. He isn't really mentioned at all after he delivers Saruman's message to Gandalf.

Last edited by Niffiwan : 01-22-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Niffiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

I suspect he was eaten by a pet bear.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

I would say it was a meeting of the members of the Council, but not a meeting of the Council - because, as you say, it was not a regularly scheduled, pre-announced meeting.

But it would be the last time so many of the Council members met each other.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niffiwan View Post
How many members have to be present for it to officially count as a "meeting"? Cirdan and Radagast were not present in the one you describe. Although actually, I'm not sure WHAT happens to Radagast. He isn't really mentioned at all after he delivers Saruman's message to Gandalf.
Yes - I think we've had a thread or two on that. I forget what some of the views were. I suspect Saruman done him in.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Alcuin
Salt Miner

The Council dealt with its last order of business: what to do with Saruman? Out of pride, he rejected their proposal of clemency, repentance, and forgiveness, then stormed out, turning his back on them and what was a most reasonable, gracious proposition. He died 66 days later, and was refused re-admission to Valinor.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote