Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-2005, 05:47 PM   #11
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
PYTT: they were most certainly Mearas

well excuse me bud but i totally disagree: how many mearas WERE THERE???
were they ten a penny?

Steal a (rare anyway) black one from Rohan and get one free???

NO!
IMHO the Mearas were (please correct me if there is evidence to the contrary anywhere) the Mearas were both rare and even rarer in these days, and the black horses AS raided and stolen rather than given in any tribute were rarer still.

Shadowfax was the last of his kind the Rohirrim think and say. He was Chieftan: were then EVERY rare Blackhorse carted off to Sauron and Mordor ALL Lesser Mearas?

Gordis:
My general (initial to be sure) take is that they did take a lot of training and selection for sure: but THEY would SURELY have back-ups: IF it was SO hard and SO MASSIVELY AGAINST THE ODDS TO ACTUALLY BE ABLE TO TRAIN ANY HORSE TO BE RIDDEN BY A RIDER

* presses caps lock*

then they would just NOT consider riders on horseback at all.

Therefore the facT that they DID suggests that WHILST NOT any easy exercise it wasn't totally impossible at all.

I am open to your original idea: but to be fair would need therefore some serious convincing!

PS PYTT: didn't mean to be rude or anything with above post! just the way it rolled off the typer!
best
BB
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote