Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-30-2003, 06:12 PM   #1
Ninquelote
Elven Warrior

Is it just me or are people exceedingly stupid?

Ah, just ranting... Kind of pissed off at the "roleplayers" at the RPG board...

XIAN- for hating Wiccans.
MURDERER- for hating vegetarians.
PREP- for hating Goths.

These are a few of my favourite things, the hypocritical stylings of the most "liberal" groups.
Ninquelote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 06:21 PM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Well......Why? (Just being nosey!)
Old 03-30-2003, 06:26 PM   #3
Ninquelote
Elven Warrior

-takes deep breath-

They think they can make characters so out of wack with the stories and still call it Lord of the Rings. It makes no sense and when I try to tell them this they go off and say 'well it's rp we can do whatever the hell we want' and I'm like, "no you can't this it Tolkien and there are rules!" and they're like "whatever, (insult here)."

Ah, insults, the last cries of a beaten man.

These people are making Tolkien turn over in his grave because they're misinterpreting his stories and yelling at the people who try to stick with the book because IT'S MUCH MORE FUN THAT WAY.

PREP- for hating Goths.

These are a few of my favourite things, the hypocritical stylings of the most "liberal" groups.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:27 PM   #4
Ninquelote
Elven Warrior

I mean, if you want to make characters who don't fit into the books then don't make them LoTR characters at all!

Put aside, characters related to characters in the book should be put to death on the spot for trying to butt their way into the books.

PREP- for hating Goths.

Old 03-30-2003, 06:35 PM   #5
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I must say I agree. What is the point of making a roleplay character who is inconsistent with Tolkien, and calling it a LOTR character? Why not just say it is something else.

I remember I did freeform LOTr roleplay once (once!) with someone from a LOTR chat room. It was in an inn in a forests (She didn't know where, just a forest). Her character wore pants and a tank top. And she was a Blade-style vampire. No creature of Morgoth, nor Thuringwethil; a human-looking being who's eyes glowed red occasionally and who sucked blood from necks.

That permanently turned me off of that.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 08:11 PM   #6
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Ninquelote, Gwaimir, I'd very much enjoy seeing one or both of you in one of the RPGs my friends and I are doing at the moment. I was in the RPG forum for a year or two before I entered General Messages and other forums, and the RPGs that we play are utterly different from the others I've seen around, and they're FUN. They are free form, but probably a more limited free form than you're used to.

Balderdash, my family's turning a movie on in the background that I haven't watched yet, so I can't continue this description. I'll describe our RPGs more to you after the movie's over.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 08:51 PM   #7
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Ja, Whiteflower, sometimes people do that. It bugs me too . . . although somehow I don't think the RPGers in question will appreciate being called stupid.
I guess it's one of those issues of what people prefer. What's the saying? De gustibus non disputandem est? There is no disputing matters of taste.
I, personally, agree with you. I was, for a while, part of an RPG, and we wanted to go by canon. When I screwed up my facts by mistake, somebody straightened me out and things were changed. But there's always going to be people who don't care. As some folks on FF.Net say in their summaries, "Don't like, don't read."
Listen to Lief. I'd trust any RPG he was a big part of.
But Whiteflower, I definitely agree with you.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 09:28 PM   #8
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Okay, generally our RPGs have one Game Master, and that Game Master invents the plot. The plot is flexible but is still structured. The players invent their characters and their characters' histories, and they can invent plots around their characters as well. If they invent a plot, it's best that it be submitted to the Game Master, so that he can see what it's like and if it'll mess with his or her own plans.

Anyway, although our RPGs do invent things which Tolkien didn't invent sometimes, we don't ruin Tolkien's work at all.
Some of the RPGs that we've played are "The Great Quest", "The World of Danger", "The Pentagrid Net", and the one we're doing now, "Hytorax". You can do searches for any of them and read parts of them to see if you'd likely enjoy that kind of RPG, but I assure you that it's different from the rest of the RPG forum. Actually that's a factor that generally turns quite a few RPG players off from them, because they're so different from the others that are going on.

I could post links to those RPGs, if you can't find them.

I'm just posting this advertisement because I'm very interested in roleplaying with you two, and I don't want you to be put off from our kind of RPG because you don't like other peoples'.
Old 03-30-2003, 09:30 PM   #9
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurelyn
Ja, Whiteflower, sometimes people do that. It bugs me too . . . although somehow I don't think the RPGers in question will appreciate being called stupid.
I guess it's one of those issues of what people prefer. What's the saying? De gustibus non disputandem est? There is no disputing matters of taste.
I, personally, agree with you. I was, for a while, part of an RPG, and we wanted to go by canon. When I screwed up my facts by mistake, somebody straightened me out and things were changed. But there's always going to be people who don't care. As some folks on FF.Net say in their summaries, "Don't like, don't read."
Listen to Lief. I'd trust any RPG he was a big part of.
But Whiteflower, I definitely agree with you.
Now I want to roleplay with you too . Have you played RPGs before?

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 03-30-2003 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-30-2003, 09:54 PM   #10
Gwaimir Windgem

I just might look into that, Lief.

Quote:
although somehow I don't think the RPGers in question will appreciate being called stupid.
Yes, I agree, I did think that was a bit unnecessary. But I definitely agree with what Ninquelote is saying.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-31-2003, 03:38 AM   #11
Baby-K
Corruptor

There's a Venting Thread for a reason you know...

But like the title of this one Yeah people are getting exceedingly stupid, seems to me like the more we progress the less we move forward.

I'm not going into details, but check out the Darwin Awards for a few examples.

Human stupidity is deadly, I tell you.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:40 AM   #12
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I was reading the argument in the "characters" thread in the RPG forum, and after reading it I thought it would be good that I clarify my position on that particular issue. In the RPGs I'm talking about, so long as characters don't go overboard on power for their creatures, I don't mind their having new creatures. I advise against it, for when someone invents a species I do demand that the species have a history to it.

I don't think that it is too badly distorting Tolkien's vision to add things into it. The Ents seemed a rather off the wall addition, and then he had Beorn shapeshifting, he had talking eagles with their own society, he had giant intelligent spiders, he had various kinds of spirit creatures and beings of magical power and power levels. He had magical items, and Gollum wasn't even strictly a hobbit. He was a hobbit like creature, which implies that similar species to the original species are possible in Tolkien's world. There were of course also the species of orc, human, dwarf and elf, and the evil foes were constantly making revisions on their combatants to improve them. There were the silent watchers, the stone giants, there were also of course various kinds of spirit creatures and beings with innate magical power.

Tolkien frequently added things to his world, even though he had a lot of it planned up beforehand, when he was writing the Silmarillion. Continuing in that path for the enhancement of our own enjoyment of the RPGs doesn't seem out of line, so long as such a relatively large change is done carefully. Changes of this sort can be minimized by additional plot background, to show that this is a singular change. I think the only species I've ever invented in RPGs is the Nrakes, and they're a completely logical species. They're designed for tracking and hunting and were probably invented by Morgoth. He was certainly making different species for the enhancement of his armies, so that addition isn't misplaced. It's simply poetic license.

So we're not changing Tolkien's world, we're really more expounding upon it for our own enjoyment.

So anyway, yes I do tolerate new species in our RPGs. Best that you know it, but don't necessarily judge by it. You might want to check out one of the RPGs I mentioned first before drawing a conclusion, for doing that would give a good example of what they're like.

Mmm, only one thing might not be extremely clear. Our RPGs do sometimes slow down quite a bit, because of lack of people in the RPG forum who like to play the kind of RPG that we do. We're sort of in a section by ourselves, for the moment.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:54 AM   #13
Gwaimir Windgem

Question: Is the Hytorax set in Middle-earth? I was looking at it, and I didn't see any names/places I recognized.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-31-2003, 12:50 PM   #14
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

The Hytorax does take place in Middle earth, GW. Mainly in Enedwaith, though we also had a little excursion to the Barrow Downs. You can find Enedwaith between Greyfloodriver and the Misty Mountains on your map.

Quote:
Now I want to roleplay with you too . Have you played RPGs before?
Laurelyn was with us in the Nârmacil-saga, if you remember. And Laurelyn, you should visit the role play forum more often. *coughTLAmissesyoucough*
Old 03-31-2003, 12:54 PM   #15
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Well if Gwaimir Windgem would run one here, I would play.

Hint, hint, nudge, nudge.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 02:08 PM   #16
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Ninquelote
I tend to agree with you. I just posted on that thread and posted a new one you might want to check out.

What I said to Gwaimir Windgem ( above) applies to you also.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-31-2003, 02:10 PM   #17
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I would have to agree that many of the newer RPGs are rather off the wall, but if you take a look at the ones that people like Leif or AF make/made (Mathron too, although I don't recall if he actually 'started' one) you will find that they are very good and well thought out.

The problem is with the people who really want to do an RPG but have no idea how to make one. But that's ok, because sometimes it takes a screw up or two to become a master.

I know that I went lots of places and screwed up plenty of times, but when I came back here for the Hytorax Lief wasn't even sure it was really me as first . I'm certainly no master *snickers at the thought* but my writing style was made better by messing up.

So try to be nice to the newer people. Oh and calling us idiots is not a good idea considering how creative writing things like RPGs can make you.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 02:23 PM   #18
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
but if you take a look at the ones that people like Leif or AF make/made (Mathron too, although I don't recall if he actually 'started' one) you will find that they are very good and well thought out.

Thanks!

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-31-2003, 02:24 PM   #19
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
Thanks!
No problem

{edit}

And how could I have missed him?

Arat is also a great RPGer.

Hang on... It just occured to me that we have two AFs who are good rpgers... Hehehe.

And of course the Frog eating Admin, although I don't recall her starting an RPG *pout*

Last edited by Tessar : 03-31-2003 at 02:26 PM.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 03:17 PM   #20
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Ninquelote

Check this out

http://www.decipher.com/lordoftherings/rpg/index.html

don't forget to see the RPG products

'Dern Helm"