Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-12-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Book Covers

Okay, it is really shallow of me, and certainly goes counter to the old tried and true "can't judge a book by its cover" adage, but:

If a sci-fi/fantasy book has a really dull cover, I tend to pass it right by. I know I am missing some really good books. case in point: George Martin. I've passed these right by for years, because the cover just was so plain.

For me, the visual "hook" of an intriguing cover at least gets my attention to look deeper. Then, I look at the blurb on the back (or inside cover) to see what about it I would find interesting. A lot of books just rely on a short excerpt from the story, and then one or two sentences, to get you to buy it. For me, it is poor marketing.

However, the fact is that I have also seen some really cool covers but have not been drawn to purchasing the book. I guess it has to be a combination of a good cover, an intriguing blurb, and story material that appeals to me. It is a confession of a weakness, but then again, we all have our own criteria for what we find interesting.

How do the rest of you feel about the visual presentation of a cover in going further into finding whether you want to buy/read a book?
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I use to do the same thing with book covers for fantasy novels...not so much these days since I don't read much fantasy anymore...not enough time you know

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:24 PM   #3
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I try not to ever judge a book by it's cover. I used to when I was younger, and it always turned out that the ones my mom forced me to read were far better than the sparkley covered girly books.
Another example: I'm trying to get my little sister to read good books, but she insists on reading junk because it has a cute puppy on the front. She's learning though, when I point out that the ones she rereads 100 times are the ones I told her to read, and the cute junk goes in the trash.
So I try to read the books with the boring covers first, so I don't lose interest before giving it a chance. Of course you can never tell, just because it has a good cover doesn't mean it's bad.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:06 PM   #4
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

A cool cover will definitely draw me to a book. I remember buying this book:
Code:
http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/tekken/100/jpgs/jshadows.jpg
(the site doesn't support hotlinking, so you have to copy/paste the url)

just because I liked the cover, and it turned out to be a great story as well.

Interestingly enough, this cover is a much more common cover for the same book, and I'll admit that my eye probably would have never been drawn to that one.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I must confess I am led by eye-catching covers too. It's perhaps silly to think that books that have gorgeous or intriguing covers have ditto stories, but there you go. Those books are not necessarily what I end up buying, but they're usually the first I take off the shelf to read the back-text. That text and what I may have heard of the author or the book itself determine whether I take it home or not.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:07 PM   #6
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

What I hate is the recent trend not to tell you what the book is about on the back cover blurb, but listing a group of glowing praise from this one or that one instead of telling us what the story is about.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:34 PM   #7
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by bropous
What I hate is the recent trend not to tell you what the book is about on the back cover blurb, but listing a group of glowing praise from this one or that one instead of telling us what the story is about.
I agree. Though sometimes you can tell a bit about the book by how obscure the sources for the quotes are.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:57 PM   #8
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by bropous
Oh, yes! That is really annoying.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:02 PM   #9
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I agree. I tend to pick up a book if the title looks interesting, then I glance at the cover art, and from there I tend to look for a blurb.

Then usually if any one of those things catch my interest, I pop the book open to the middle-ish and glance over a few paragraphs, then skip a few pages, and do that three or four times. That usually gives me a feel for whether or not I'll like the writing style at least.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:56 AM   #10
Mari
Elf Lady

I usually read books from the library, so you mostly see the title first. The title is what determines for me whether or not I am going to read the back of the book.
If the information on the back is appealing, I try it.
Come to think of it, I usually don't look at the cover at all untill it is on my desk.

I do agree that it is utterly annoying if there is no proper information about the book on the backside...

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #11
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

I think everyone goes through the stage of looking at the covers and other such gimmicks that are used.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Last edited by The Telcontarion : 04-03-2007 at 11:24 PM.
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote