Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 09:57 PM   #101
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I'm reading a lot of books at the moment.
I'm in the middle of J.R.R Tolkien's letters. Then I'm reading 5 plays of Lessing (if anyone of you knows him) and these days I'm going to start reading Aristoteles and Sophokles. Yah. Yah.

But so far I can tell that "Die Juden" (The Jews) and "Minna Barnhelm" are very good (both plays of Lessing).
Old 12-27-2004, 12:05 PM   #102
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenya
Do you like Asimov's works? I find it a bit hard to get into, but that can simply be because I like long stories with good explanations for every thing. In one book of his (can't remember wich one) the guy keeps on using this high teck stuff - like radio active detecting devices - and I have no idee how it works. I don't like that.
I totally forgot to reply on this one. They're okay, IMO. But apart from 'Magic', I have only read the foundation series of Asimov.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:23 PM   #103
inked
Elf Lord

Chaucer's THE CANTERBURY TALES translated by Neville Coghill - an Inkling forsooth!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 12-28-2004, 12:11 PM   #104
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
I'm reading Lawrence James' The Rise And Fall of the British Empire and Tom Clancy's AIRBORNE: A Guided Tour of An Airborne Task Force.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:44 AM   #105
Lenya
Elentári

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
I totally forgot to reply on this one. They're okay, IMO. But apart from 'Magic', I have only read the foundation series of Asimov.
Oh, I hear the foundation series is quite good actually. thanx for replying
Old 01-03-2005, 09:20 AM   #106
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Currently reading a book called Arabian Sands by Wilfred Thesiger for my English class. It's the true chronicles of an Englishman's travels in Arabia.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:25 AM   #107
inked
Elf Lord

Hey, Beren3000, did you get the philosphy series read? What did you think? I could use a little help on the Narnia threads and the HP - Chrisistian themes in HP? - thread. The conceptualizaton of good in these threads is being opposed by radical secularists bent on the destruction of the obvious...NO, wait, that goes in the Venting thread !
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 01-03-2005, 06:13 PM   #108
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren3000
Where are you on the series so far, pytt? What's your favorite moment so far?
I shall start on book 6, the Lord of Chaos soon, when I get it from the library.

SPOILER FROM THE WHEEL OF TIME, BY ROBERT JORDAN

When Rand gets Calandor, that was a moment I had longed to see also when he battles Asmodean. Really smart move. when Perrin(goldeneyes ) fights the trollocs back in Two Rivers, when he leaves Tair. his wolfdreaming I find really intriguing, and I thought it was sad he was not mentioned in book 5
more than just one...
how about you?

Edit for EB
Yes, Robert Jordan. I think 11 books at the moment...

Last edited by Pytt : 01-03-2005 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:12 PM   #109
Mercutio

Finishing up Greyfriars Bobby by ?

Reading sections of Dorothy Sayers: Her Life and Soul by Barbara Reynolds

Skimming (to refresh my recollection; I read this a few years ago) Washington Square by Henry James

For school: Book VIII of The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky

Getting from the library: Woman in White (by ?), and something by Wilkie Collins (on reccommendation from a teacher; I forget the name now), Portrait of a Lady by Henry James (maybe).

And some poetry (T.S. Elliots cats stuff, some Keats, Donne, and Dickinson).

then just toss in some Wodehouse for good measure, and voila: book casserole.

I need to keep a record of what I read. Some college applications ask things like, what books have you read in the last 12 months. 12 MONTHS!!!! How do I remember!!! I guess its good tho if I have trouble w/ the question because of my reading excess, not lack there of.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:54 AM   #110
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Currently I am reading more than I should (I tend to read too many books at once!) I am reading; Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, I am finding this book to be as good as I had expected. Don't misunderstand me I am no pedofile it is a great book and I would suggest it to anyone interested in a well writen book. A nice psychological book that can be quite difficult to read at times due to the excelent vocabulary used. I am also starting to read The Tessaract by Alex Garland, and The Dubliners by James Joyce, of these books I can say little at the moment. I am also continuing my ongoing and neverending reading of The Lord of the Rings and other Tolkien works including the Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien which I purchased this evening infact!(A very exciting pruchase for me)I am also trying to read... or study more like, my Japanese instruction books. I think that is all for the moment.

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Old 01-05-2005, 08:17 AM   #111
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Hey, Beren3000, did you get the philosphy series read?
Whoa, SERIES! Go easy on me I haven't even finished the first one (the LOTR one); although I have 3 more essays to go. But I thought it was great so far. My absolute favorites: the Uberhobbits essay and the essay that compares Sam to Gollum. Great stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytt
I shall start on book 6, the Lord of Chaos soon
Best WOT book I've read so far (although everyone keeps telling me that the 9th one is the best). Most of my favorite moments are from book 6 (you'll find them out for yourself soon): I especially like the ending.
From the other books: I loved that scene with Callandor in the Stone of Tear.
Most of Rand's scenes with the Aiel in books 4 and 5 are also great. The ending of book 5 was great too (I wonder if Rand could later turn Lanfear to the good side!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
and Dickinson
Maybe we'll see you in the fan club, then!
Old 01-05-2005, 04:58 PM   #112
Pytt

what do you mean, turn Lanfear to the good side? you mean she didn't die in the door along with Moiraine? actually, I thought about that she might have not when someone killed Asmodean.
yes, the Aiel. love them, and the since are magnificent
I got the book today, so I will start today or tomorrow, when I have finished The Da Vinci Code.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:55 AM   #113
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytt
what do you mean, turn Lanfear to the good side? you mean she didn't die in the door along with Moiraine?
We don't know that, but there are many hints (later in the series) that lead one to assume that Moiraine is not dead, so I assumed that Lanfear isn't also dead. Besides, I think that RJ didn't build up her complex realtion to Rand just to finish her off this way; she "still has some part to play before the end"
Anyway, I've gone off topic here (sorry ) if you want to continue this discussion, post in my WOT thread in the fantasy forum.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:20 PM   #114
Pytt

ok. sure will.
I guess I have gone off topic myself
Old 01-09-2005, 04:40 PM   #115
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Started another book of the Philosophy and Popular Culture series: The Simpsons and Philosophy: The D'oh of Homer
Old 01-13-2005, 04:47 PM   #116
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren3000
Started another book of the Philosophy and Popular Culture series: The Simpsons and Philosophy: The D'oh of Homer
Don Quixote (still...but only 350 more pages! getting there...) and the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. I recently finished The Hound of the Baskervilles, and the first three books of A series of Unfortunate Events.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 01-13-2005, 05:55 PM   #117
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
i am reading The Justice League Exterminators by Cristopher Golden
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
Old 01-13-2005, 07:13 PM   #118
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

I am reading an extremely factual, and interesting collection of essays about Jan Svankmajer and his participation in czech surrealism in film.

My DA page
Old 01-13-2005, 07:16 PM   #119
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
I recently finished The Hound of the Baskervilles, and the first three books of A series of Unfortunate Events.
Isn't that a great book? At least it is compared to the rest of the Sherlock Holmes books (except perhaps the Valley of Fear).
Old 01-13-2005, 07:35 PM   #120
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
I recently finished The Hound of the Baskervilles, and the first three books of A series of Unfortunate Events.
Isn't that a great book? At least it is compared to the rest of the Sherlock Holmes books (except perhaps the Valley of Fear).
Hmm, what was it...
Phosphorous, P, used in fertilizer, solid at room temerature, non-metal, melts at 44.1 °C, boils at 280 °C.
Edit: sorry, didn't mean to double post. I though pressing "stop" would work.

Last edited by trolls' bane : 01-13-2005 at 07:36 PM.
Closed Thread