Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-23-2004, 12:30 AM   #1
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Gandalf Introduction: Reading the Sil for the First Time

As you probably noticed, I don’t make any posts in the Silmarillion forum. Right, because I never read the book. Just like countless other people, even other Tolkien fanatics, I’ve picked it up time and time again, but never got far past Valaquenta. It’s been lying patiently at my desk for over a year, but when I touch it, it’s always so confusing, so historical, and so in-depth that it blows my mind to nervous little pieces.

I’m finally changing that. I’ve decided to keep a reading journal this time, to express all of my thoughts and feelings on the story. I’m starting this week with a really old copy of the book. After each reading session, I’ll post my reaction in a new thread on Entmoot. You guys can take it from there, comparing my thoughts to yours (if you remember what you had been thinking), guessing how I’ll be surprised, making fun of my naivety , sympathizing with me, reliving the scenes, rereading it with me, whatever, SPOILERS ALLOWED. I will avoid your posts until I’m finally done, so don’t hold back any discussion.

I want to point out the reasons I made this decision.
  • for Entmoot. I was inspired by this old thread. Everybody seemed to like that idea a bit, and I thought it was the coolest idea ever. Why didn’t I think of that? Then I could look back and… but I didn’t expect LotR to be so good. I hope you all enjoy this to the fullest extent.
  • This guarantees fun for everyone. Like the other projects, it will stay up and available for comments once I've moved on in my reading. Then I can retrace my own thought processes. I'm going to love it!
  • Everybody says it rocks. I expect it to rock.
  • to help me actually understand it. English Teachers always blab about what a benefit this could be. I know they're right. In writing about a passage, I am more likely to comprehend it.
  • for motivation. Now I'll read it, okay? I promised you guys, so here goes.

The one thing I can’t do by myself is a schedule. Since these entries are for you to read, what is most convenient? The LotR Discussion Project has two weeks between each few chapters, so would a weekly piece be too often?
Your input needed. DISCUSS! Who else is looking forward to it?

Last edited by Bombadillo : 11-23-2004 at 12:33 AM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:05 AM   #2
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Good luck! I'll join you, when I get back...

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:40 AM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

The earliest chapters are the most difficult to get into, IMO. So those are the ones you should set aside the most time for. Once you get to the "epics" (Children of Hurin, Beren and Luthien, etc), you'll be powering through them a lot faster.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:43 AM   #4
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Unless you're my brother.

Don't worry, though, we'll get you through them...

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 03:45 AM   #5
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
The earliest chapters are the most difficult to get into, IMO. So those are the ones you should set aside the most time for. Once you get to the "epics" (Children of Hurin, Beren and Luthien, etc), you'll be powering through them a lot faster.
I agree. These were the ones that initially put me off the SIl until last year.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:04 AM   #6
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

You'll need a sharp stick to keep poking yourself with as you fall asleep....
Old 11-23-2004, 09:11 AM   #7
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I think you should read each chapter at your convenience, but if you take too long, we'll poke you so you don't give up. I read several entries in the original insipiration and it was very cool. Maybe some day when I read HoME I'll do the same thing.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 11:04 AM   #8
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizra
You'll need a sharp stick to keep poking yourself with as you fall asleep....
Hey, I can help with that.

Bombadillo, BoP is correct. The first few chapters are the toughest. I suggest that if you find yourself getting bored or frustrated, put it down for a bit and then go back to it. Also, at this point, try to avoid distractions so that you get the most out of what you are reading. These beginning chapters may need a couple readings to get a full understanding of them. Once you make it past that, it is pretty smooth sailing, and most enjoyable.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 03:23 PM   #9
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I did after a acouple of readings but at first it was a bit slow to start.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote