Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-24-2004, 08:42 PM   #1
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Reading Lolita in Tehran

Has anyone read "Reading Lolita in Tehran" by Azar Nafisi? It has recently jumped onto the best-seller list in America, so I thought it might be known. I've been reading it for a seminar class, and the debate has gotten fairly heated, and I thought I'd like to see what some mooters thought about it. The objections that have been surfacing have been largely concerning Nafisi's style, that she writes in a way that doesn't emfasize what she intends, that most people will simply read the book to confirm what they feel about the Middle East. It has a problem because it is a pro-Western book, focusing on the repressions of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and, for readers in America, could be read as nothing more than a confirmation of Western ideals. What do you think? I'll post my own ideas if anyone's read the book.
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:41 PM   #2
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I just saw this thread yesterday and didn't respond because I haven't read the book. However, the latest issue of The Christian Century arrived yesterday and had a very interesting review of it. It was included in an article comparing 3 books about reading and the effect of the books read on the readers. It sounded worth reading and I'll look for it at the library next week.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote