Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-19-2004, 04:44 PM   #1
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Themes in Harry Potter

What do you think are the main themes of the Harry Potter series? Do you think there is a moral framework underlying the books? I was re-reading the end of Order of the Phoenix and I was interested by Luna and Harry's conversation about the dead beyond the veil, suggesting an after-life of some kind is part of the Potter universe. Do you think the Harry Potter books show many Christian influences?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 05:02 PM   #2
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I think there is a moral framework. Of course you have the classic good vs. evil theme throughout the books. I also think you have themes such as family, friends, loyalty, betrayal, death, love, life.... the list could go on for a while.

That's a good point to make about the veil. The description given to the veil certainly showed that there was something 'un-dead' about the shadows behind it. (I must re-read these books - my mind has gone blank.... ). She must have included some Christian views, but I'm not exactly well versed in the Bible, so I can't think of any good ones off the top of my head. Pretty much all the themes I wrote above are included in Christianity in some way. (Arn't they? ).

Well you have me intrigued now so later I'm going to catch up on my Harry Potter and maybe the Bible.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 05:58 PM   #3
sun-star
Lady of Letters

*Bump* with an added comment that I like JKR's choice of the veil as a metaphor for death. I found it in Tennyson the other day too, and I think it's a good one.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 07:31 PM   #4
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Wouldn't it be ironic if there were Christian themes? Well, ones that Jo purposely included as she wrote. I mean, the whole "Harry Potter is the devil Argh Run away!" thing. I don't think that there are intentional ones. Mostly, books like this don't really have actual themes to teach a lesson, they just are there. It's just to entertain.

However, I think the books do tell us a lot. Life, death, friends, family, knowledge...things like that.
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 10:26 PM   #5
inked
Elf Lord

An excellent discussion consideration. I happen to think that JK Rowling writes very much as an INKLING born out of time so to speak. And because the literature of Britain has been a Christian literature for over a millenium, there is not one whit of doubt she incorporates Christianity into her work! The question becomes how much is intentional and how much cultural?

I think she incorporates specifically Christian themes in very overt ways. Just re-read the CHAMBER OF SECRETS last couple of chapters for one example that is extremely obvious IMHO. But I think it is designed to not be obvious and very much part of her story in the ususal run of events. Then after reflection one sees the connections. (Very much as in reading TCON or LOTR one does not see all the connections on the first read.) In fact, JK Rowling herself says that the books are designed so that one cannot grasp all she intends on the first or even third read through. That's why we all enjoy them and discuss them so much.

JKR's use of Christian themes is ironic since some Christian groups have condemned her use of the magic background and incantations. But they did the same to CS Lewis and JRR Tolkein in their day. Another mark of the Inkling connection, I think.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:02 PM   #6
Vadskye
Sapling

Just remember that not all Christians oppose HP. Christian am I, yet enjoy HP I do.

(sorry if that confused you. )
Vadskye is offline   Reply With Quote