Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-28-2005, 05:07 PM   #1
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Experiencing JD syndrome and my experiences on the moot

Experiencing JD syndrome and my experiences on the moot
(this being my 500th post even if it still says 499?)

In times of adversity, in times of emotion and stress i wearily and somewhat accidently stumbled across the Entmoot. Having but today overcome the terrible and deadly on-line virus that could well be the scourge of the 21st century, and wishing JD well with this crippling syndrome (Jd-itis) I am now free for another 500 posts before I get another (much lesser) case of this disease than the great man himself even now is heroically fighting.

This then is my story: it is my small victory against JD syndrome: may it be a hope to those in dark places … or new Joisey … or wherever in the world they are sadly afflicted … Our communal Moot thoughts go out to you.

This 500th post is therefore dedicated to jersey devil, who on the moot has been on occasions a friend in need and an unofficial mentor (who, having sometimes to put up with some incredible rambling rubbish from me always found the time to get back with some good advice) and it is also a personal piece on my moot experience from unsuspecting entling through to Elf Lord.

My experiences…

While still having to deal with heartfelt loss and bereavement, one pale slightly washed out day I stumbled across the Entmoot. I had never posted on a board before, had in my earlier days read Tolkien quite extensively (though i was soon to find not half as extensively as some on here!) and like Bilbo without a hanky or knowing where the road ( that goes ever on … ) would lead me, I ran down the metaphorical lane into the world-wide community that all you here now reading this, make the place it is. Entmoot.

I have found it a great diversion, a good place to chat, laugh, rant … get angry…. Be surprised why I was getting angry…. Begin to learn how it works, how things can be read in many different ways depending on perspectives, moods, beliefs, assumptions and how they can be read a completely different way with some further information or explanation! To enjoy the banter, the discussions on topics Tolkien based through to subjects from religion, lifestyles and morality! As an ex philosopher (apples stopped falling on my head – don’t ask!) these I have enjoyed a lot.

Looking through some of my posts just now I think perhaps I have tended to more light-hearted (shall we say) posts or frankly silly posts than is perhaps representative of me: but really I can say what I have enjoyed about being on the moot is the chance just to play (for lack of a better word) which when you are stressed, busy, have a ton of serious and emotionally delicate things to deal with all the time, is a truly worthwhile thing!

I have had some fiery rides too: as a person who is reasonably grounded and very hard to get angry I have been surprised just how angry and even upset I have got on here a couple of times: in hindsight i think what with personal experiences the anger was just there and needed a release …. This too in its way has probably been a healthy thing. So, apologies to anyone I have upset in my time here.

So far I can honestly say theres no one here I dislike or have any problems with: and indeed I’d like to share some of my enjoyable moments on here - with an apology now to anyone I forget to mention! I’d like this thread to be about the moot: what you have enjoyed, what has made you laugh, the best posts, worst posts (if you like – but please try to be positive about it!), who you have had good laughs or arguments with or ‘debates’ enjoyed observing and why etc ….

Where to start … well anywhere seems like a good place to me so here goes …

Firstly a mention to me9996, called by me ‘the immortal one’ .. he /she? was the first person on here to reply to me! Me9996 is also the word’s worst spella I av’ evr come akross! And author of some of the wierdest most free-form rpg scenarios I have seen here: now I am cured I look forward to jumping in to one sometime!

Rosie and TD really made me laugh (among others) in the lyrd of the rings rpg … I initially spent ages reading drunk elf pirates discussion thread hoping to join it only to realize I had started reading it exactly to the day (I think) one YEAR behind … and so gave up on any attempt to join.

A quick mention should be made here of earthbound, without whose 18 or so posts today (!) I would not be able to have overcome my disease (we were both on 499 posts and had agreed mainly out of respect to Jd and to try and establish a cult x99 post tradition here on the moot had a competition to see how long we could hold out posting … EB lost! However I may say: what happened to making the 500th one a bit special????
EB has made me laugh many times too.

So heres my far from exhaustive or even that well thought out: Moot Oscars

Top 3 Great debates& diametrically opposed mooter fests (off the top of my head):

Debates:
The eye of sauron
Nazgul horses
Did the ring betray ilsudir
IF….

Opposing viewpoints

JD v Rian
Forkbeard v Gordis
Olmer v the Elves (and most of entmoot): my respect by the way.

Other mentions …
The archive thing where jd forms an army (spectacular) .. and is jd French? (for humour)

Of special mention:

Valandil’s letters of firiel … I have started on them finally and am more than impressed so far.

Most over the top Rant : Myself in charles and Camilla (sorry Spock!)

Friendliest and probably the nicest person on the moot: Nurvingiel

Who’s made me laugh or have I enjoyed some fast posting with (apologies as I am bound to miss some people out!) : Gordis, LCOU (also an award for weirdest drink on the teacup café) , Rosie, Telcontar Dunedain, EB, Sun-star, CS, Spock, Lotesse, Pytt, …. And many more .. i’ll edit some in later …

Well it seems the strain of my recouperation from my recent JD disease is still with me .. as I am now tired beyond thought .. so I shall leave it there for now for my 500th post!

Please add your thoughts to this thread: what or who or why the moot means to you or your own awards for anything under the sun on here …. Remember only this: this is NOT a ranting thread ….

Oh and a special mention to Tessar who has always been fair and reasonable beyond the call of duty with me and also managed to keep fletch alive in the gates of mirkwood rpg while I was laid low! Hi also to Earniel who shared a cup of mead with a newcomer!

All the best and thanks for all the fun and much needed diversion you have given me here on entmoot!

My best to all the mooters

BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 06-28-2005 at 06:11 PM.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:20 PM   #2
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Hah!

well that was a spectacular failure to make my 500th post a bit meaningful - it doesn't appear to have registred! Well i call that funny oh well if this is my official 500th post, as they say in the british parliament, i refer you to the (post) given before!

you gotta laugh haven't you?

EDIT: have checked : this now being my official 500th post! well i'm off to the teacup cafe to see if any cakes still left for me after Earthbound literally threw herself onto it! (thanks nurv by the way)

* voice of marvin from hitch hickers guide to galaxy*

Irony? Don't talk to me about irony ...

Last edited by Butterbeer : 06-28-2005 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:32 PM   #3
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Congrats on the Elf Lord status BB! Thanks for the lovely compliment!

You did list some really great debates there! I really enjoy Gordis, Olmer and Forkbeard because they have such informative posts. We don't see them in GM much, but the good wishes are out there.

I really enjoy your posts too! You're very thoughtful and have a great sense of humour. Plus it's nice the way you sign your posts "Best, BB". Your could start writing "BBB"!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:56 PM   #4
inked
Elf Lord

My beery best to ya, O Great Elf Lord BUTTERBEER!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:08 PM   #5
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

cheers guys!

what are some of your entmoot experiences, memories, laughs, cries, wonder and woe?

what are your moot oscars? (they don't have to be extensive .. mine certainly weren't )

BBB
Old 06-28-2005, 06:49 PM   #6
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Congrats, BB!!

It's been a pleasure posting with you You're thoughtful and FUN! (which I like a lot!)

Entmoot was my first message board experience, too - hey, we both lost our Internet virginity here

Any ideas for your new title? (I know "Beery won't be an option - sorry I didn't know what that meant! )

We need to get you started on the History of Middle Earth books ... the sign of a true Tolkien addict!

What's your Tolkien history, btw? Hobbit or LOTR first? Movies or books first? (it looks like books from your post) How many times have you read them? etc.

Again, congrats, and nice to have you here! *hands a glass of BB's favorite beer and munchies to him*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:57 PM   #7
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

thanks Rian: i had meant to post ( i got tired) that i had always warmed to both you and JD and yours and jd's struggles .. it was one of my early experinces following that, mainly because of the great epic nature and longevity of the JD v Rian posts .... do you miss it?

Rian:
Quote:
hey, we both lost our Internet virginity here
but not at the same time ... nor in the same place

best
BB

oh yeah ... read the books first, long before the films ... (don't start me on the films) .. read the hobbit first, me dad starting reading it to all us kids ... then we all read it one by one.. then the lotr etc...

Last edited by Butterbeer : 06-28-2005 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:18 AM   #8
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

finally made it then
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:55 AM   #9
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

Uh, yeah about the 500 special post I was gong to do....well, I was reading a post by SGH and completely out of habbit I responded and didn't realize what I had done until I had hit the [submit reply] button.....soooo, from there I went straight to the teacup cafe and posted a silly little tidbit.....

My story 'would have been' similiar.

Nurv certainly is the sweetest! But there's plenty of sweetness to spread *retching heard in background from Noi Jursey*...

SCG is the best,
TD is a genious,
GW is the 'rawk' in rock at the Lyrds Hole,
LCOU is smart & funny and I've always enjoyed his post,
Eärniel....always good to see your post
Lotesse must be cool,
Spock....the name says it all,
Starr.....willing to get "real" and say what's on her mind, I respect that.
Lenya is a nutter ,
Beor needs to keep safe!,
even BoP was a wise-cracking sweety to me,
R*an is fun to debate with (also a sweety),
Valandil.....has a great avy....reminds me of prince valiant cartoon
Tessar is a fun nut,
and Lief....thanks for smearing a little cute destruction at the cafe...
inked.......Thanks for opening the door, I always read your posts
JD....Post already! LOL And thanks for the advice you've given
Pytt...always good to see ya in the cafe
IRex...good poster not afraid to tackle difficult subjects
and I know I've left someone out....

Butterbeer...your humor is "scary" right on track with my own brand of mirth...we should write a few humorous novels and be done with it so we can retire.....lol

The moot has indeed became a favorite part of my life! Too much to say, but Thanks to bmilder for the site, sincerely.

Sorry if in my morning-sleepy-eyed state I forgot anyone....you all rule!

PS....Special note.....notice how I used an already appropriate thread to post in to instead of creating a new one.....it's like I'm almost grown up or something right here at the moot [sheepish grin]

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!

Last edited by EarthBound : 06-29-2005 at 12:26 PM.
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:37 AM   #10
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Thanks guys. Well Done on your 500's.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:48 PM   #11
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Hi also to Earniel who shared a cup of mead with a newcomer!
*raises bottle of mead* We're happy to have you here, BB! Congrats on the 500 landmark. 500 down, another 8000 to go?

Quote:
I’d like this thread to be about the moot: what you have enjoyed, what has made you laugh, the best posts, worst posts (if you like – but please try to be positive about it!), who you have had good laughs or arguments with or ‘debates’ enjoyed observing and why etc ….
Entmoot was the first messageboard I visited too, now already *checks* ye gods! 3,5 years and 6455 posts ago!

There are a lot of things that have changed since then, myself included. There were many fun times to be had. *remembers most fondly* Pink and Purple Day (boy, did I fall for that one!), BoP's scuttling through threads in a box, or yelling 'EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE' and nicking your pants afterwards... The Jonathong incident and subsequently the mud-wrestling! The Entmoot-continent, bringing the RPG-forum under my absolute and evil rule (mwahahah!), speculating about the movies, SGH getting an avatar, the high days of the Tolkien Lover's Anonymous and the Drunken Elven pirates (which are both sadly rather quiet these days), the Entmoot anthology that equally sadly never took off but made me start writing, which I would never have done without.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:41 PM   #12
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
but not at the same time ... nor in the same place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Entmoot was the first messageboard I visited too ...
Hey, Eärniel too!

And a hearty congrats to EarthBound, too, for 500+ great posts!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 06-29-2005, 04:44 PM   #13
Rían

And for my 9,000th post
Some of my favorite threads were the Tengwar thread, and the initial round of the Men of the Silmarillion thread - Fingon and Tuor are MINE! I tell you, they're MINE! *fans self to cool down*
*goes off to write in Tengwar*

Last edited by Rían : 06-29-2005 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:52 PM   #14
Rían

Hey, JD's on - pictures, please! And have SGH hold up today's newspaper so we know she's alive!

Just put up the pictures on SGH's post if you want to save your 10K post for something else.

EDIT - whoops, wrong thread - I thought I was on SGH's trip thread... well, pictures, please, if you can, over there

Last edited by Rían : 06-29-2005 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:57 PM   #15
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
And for my 9,000th post
Ay caramba, woman! If JD doesn't come back soon, he won't be the first one to get a 5 digit post count!
Old 06-29-2005, 05:12 PM   #16
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Rian! 9000th post!

Wow! Serious congratulations! all the very best!

on a serious (?) note: i am both honoured you posted it here ... and ( * serious frown*) disapointed you did not have a ' in honour of JD' or (hopefully - entmoot new tradition) jd-like pause ..... before posting it ... but all is forgiven : maybe that would be asking too much?? )

again, congrats on 9,000!!!

Please tell us more about ( er ... we'll skip the virginity stuff ) experiences on the moot: whatever you would like to tell us, people, posts, laughs, anger, debate, history, ... other things my limited imagination cannot conjure up ....

(jeez i havent even finished and theres 2 new posts ... gotta go and have a coffee - have to admit at this point the 'beery' does apply! - not as a nick-name though! - its been ONE HELL OF DAY - a bad day to live through but a damn good one 9 in tewrms of ...er.. results and work / art paying off ... ultimately a very good one ... when all's said and done .. i.e. like now! )
Old 06-29-2005, 05:36 PM   #17
Rían

Quote:
Ay caramba, woman! If JD doesn't come back soon, he won't be the first one to get a 5 digit post count!
*wonders how fast she can make another 1000 posts... *
So Eärniel, I'm assuming that I get first pick of the Tolkien men because I have a higher post count than you do, right? So Tuor is MINE! (and Fingon, too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
Rian! 9000th post!

Wow! Serious congratulations! all the very best!
Thanks! Maybe I shouldn't have posted it here, tho - I didn't mean to steal your (thread) thunder, I just noticed I was close to 9k and you were asking for Moot experiences from others, so I posted it here.

Quote:
on a serious (?) note: i am both honoured you posted it here ... and ( * serious frown*) disapointed you did not have a ' in honour of JD' or (hopefully - entmoot new tradition) jd-like pause ..... before posting it ... but all is forgiven : maybe that would be asking too much?? )
I didn't think of pausing, because 9k isn't a "landmark" number for Entmoot ... 500 is a big landmark number, because you get your custom title and it shows you've really joined the Moot, IMO. And if I come back from Ecuador, then when I get near 10k I'll make a big deal of it - it's just that 9k wasn't a landmark for me, and I didn't even think about pausing - sorry

Quote:
Please tell us more about ( er ... we'll skip the virginity stuff ) experiences on the moot: whatever you would like to tell us, people, posts, laughs, anger, debate, history, ... other things my limited imagination cannot conjure up ....
I only have a few minutes before heading out for a haircut with the kiddos, but here's a few: when I first joined over 3 years ago, I remember it was like opening the floodgates - I could FINALLY discuss, in excruciating detail, all the wonderfulness of Tolkien, with people that actually felt the same way I did! You could make a reference, like "hroom, hroom", and know people actually KNEW what you meant! You could discover and then discuss the varying accounts of Gil-Galad's parentage. You could discuss things like Eowyn's defiance of the Witch King with other people that weep over it. I could hardly get enough of it! We ate a lot of take-out food when I first discovered Entmoot Now that I've finally talked so much about Tolkien, I'm kind of in a talked-out phase now, and am mostly in the GM forum - I was thinking of starting a thread about that. I've tried to revive/start some Tolkien threads, but am not getting much interest in them - ones on the Lays of Beleriand, for instance, and the Shibboleth of Feanor.

I remember first hearing about the HoME books - what a wonderful new mine of information and beauty! Then I started buying some (I now have 6, I think) and enjoying them for myself. I taught myself English-mode Tengwar, and started a thread on it, and I loved that thread and talking with others and sharing what we wrote! (I love Earniel's stone!)

Mostly it's the people that make Entmoot great, tho - the wonderful women when I first joined, some of whom are still here, and some have left - and the wonderful guys, too. A lot of my favorite people have left but there's some great new ones, too.

Old 06-29-2005, 05:57 PM   #18
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

many thanks for taking the time for that Rian!

that's what i hope this thread would be about:

you've ceratinly opened My eyes to some things there - how do we look up on them?

eg:
Quote:
the Lays of Beleriand, for instance, and the Shibboleth of Feanor?
I'd be interested for one ...
Old 06-29-2005, 08:40 PM   #19
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Maybe THAT's what he's waiting for...

Let Rian get to 9,998, then BAM! Scores his 10,000th!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:27 PM   #20
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Maybe THAT's what he's waiting for...

Let Rian get to 9,998, then BAM! Scores his 10,000th!
Heh heh - he better watch out, this ol' lady can be pretty fast!

BB - I'll go bump those threads for you - they're in the Middle Earth forum

Last edited by Rían : 06-29-2005 at 09:30 PM.