Old 10-29-2005, 10:39 PM   #1
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Artificial Gravity

-Methods of Creating Artificial Gravity

-Stanford Torus

-Bernal Sphere

-O'Neill Cylinder

As many of you unfortuneately know, this has been a big problem on my mind. I need feedback. Help?
Old 10-30-2005, 05:54 AM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

And how is artificial gravity a big problem?

[EDIT]Good god, I can hardly spell anymore! [/EDIT]

Last edited by Earniel : 10-30-2005 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:17 AM   #3
trolls' bane

[Sax Russell]
*blinks*
Good question. It lacks explanation.
*blinks*
Well, it's interesting to me. Very interesting, and I guess I was wondering whether I was not the only other person interested.
That makes no sense, I know.
Anyway, this serves the same purpose as many science-related GM Threads, yet, like the rest, stands alone.
*blinks*
I suppose this is the same as the Terraforming question.
*blinks*
It's like trying to open and understand the human mind...to try to make sense out of thought, to give a process to intelligence, to give an explanation to the Great Unexplainable.
*blinks*
And I sincerely beleive it cannot be explained, hence my phrasing, the thirst for knowledge can only be explained as the fear of ignorance.
*blinks*
[/Sax Russell]

[Anna Russell (unrelated to Sax Russell entirely)]
...Don't ask me why...
[/Anna Russell]
Old 10-30-2005, 06:36 AM   #4
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Oookay, that possibly made even less sense....

So basically, if I get this right, you're interested in the problem of generating artificial gravity, which is a necesity for people living permanently in space.

And you want to know what people think of the three current, but still mostly theoretic (at least on bigger scales), methods of generating artificial gravity?
Old 10-30-2005, 06:38 AM   #5
trolls' bane

*blinks*
Well put!
*blinks*
Old 10-30-2005, 11:09 AM   #6
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
All three will work on permanent stations around a planet.

When I think of Space and the exploration of it I usually ponder the use of something that looks like huge shuttle external tanks in which there will be housed the different rooms in which the astronauts will live.

In Buzz Aldrin's Encounter with Tiber and Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars this method is used for the ships going to the stars and to Mars.

Perhaps it could be used for permanent stations as well.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 10-30-2005 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:09 PM   #7
trolls' bane

Are you referring to the Ares?
Old 10-30-2005, 05:39 PM   #8
Janny
The Blobbit

tb, I was under the impression that these things weren't going to be tested, because people go to space to test things without gravity, and because of the cost of rotating parts?

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:49 PM   #9
trolls' bane

Huh?
Why wouldn't they be tested!? Weightlessness is extremely harmful. And we already know they would work, but to what extent?

I recently heard of something that is a total waste of time! It's a dumb version of the Bernal sphere called Globus Cassus. It is so pointless! Why would we want to turn Earth inside out! There is absolutely no point...It would take forever, have no purpose, and cost trillions. Why???? The F***ing planet works fine being with the outside out! Why reverse it?
Old 10-30-2005, 05:55 PM   #10
Janny
The Blobbit

Eek, got you off on something there. :P

I thought that the people with the money had no interest in making artificial gravity... not that I'm terribly well informed.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:03 PM   #11
trolls' bane

Well, I appreciate the thought, but I'm not one of the people with the money.
I know many of the major space agencies are researching it. Rotation seems the only practical way I can think of, so that's why all of my links are towards rotation-based structures. I think, looking at it, my favorite is the torus, because it can be wrapped around something.
I would like to ask a mod to change the title of the thread, if possible, to "Artificial Gravity and Space Elevators." I'm sure the mods would like it more than if I just created a Space Elevator thread. I'm not posting that right now, but I will later.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:29 AM   #12
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
Are you referring to the Ares?
Indeed. I thought that was a terrific solution for the shipdesign issue.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:41 AM   #13
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

This reminds me of the invisibility joke in Hitch Hiker's Guide, which was something like:

"Although technically possible, the difficulties involved in making something invisible were so great that 999,999,999 times out of a billion it is far easier just to get rid of the thing you were trying to make invisible and do without it instead."
Old 11-02-2005, 10:51 PM   #14
trolls' bane

LOL!
Old 11-03-2005, 01:58 PM   #15
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

I hate to admit...but admit I will.....I'm a total "geek-inventor-in-the-basement' type...completely love physics and tech. and hope to retire to my laboratory years from now to play and create.....mwaahahahahahah

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
Old 11-04-2005, 04:33 PM   #16
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

artificial gravity, i hadn't even considered how we achieve artificial gravity, facsinating, thats what i love about you TB your always on the cutting edge.

the death star must have some type of centrifugal core, i'm not sure about our star destroyers though, hmm...the engineer position is still available are you interested EB?
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:54 AM   #17
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirrim TR
artificial gravity, i hadn't even considered how we achieve artificial gravity, facsinating, thats what i love about you TB your always on the cutting edge.

the death star must have some type of centrifugal core, i'm not sure about our star destroyers though, hmm...the engineer position is still available are you interested EB?
Nope, Rohirrim. I'm way ahead of you here.
The Death Star's gravity was controlled by the most powerful Gravity field generator ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Wars Expanded Universe Databank
Aboard the first Death Star, a working prototype of an incredibly powerful gravity well projector was nearing the final stages of development. The device, small enough to be carried by two men, required a power source 10 times more powerful than that of a Star Destroyer's main tractor beam. The resultant gravity well, however, was immense -- much larger than those generated by the G-7x.

This prototype projector survived the destruction of the Death Star, and floated for a time within a large chunk of debris. This debris became the center-point of the floating Ugor junkyard in the Paradise system. The gravity well projector was somehow reactivated, and became the center of a vast junk asteroid field. The Ugors, who worship trash, referred to the Death Star fragment -- the new center of their system -- as the Holiest of Holies. The projector itself was known as the Prime Mover. The gravity well projector was removed by a Rebel strike force assisting a Squib mission to disrupt the Ugor trash-hauling racket. With the removal of the projector, the Paradise system fell apart.
I'd also like to add that the Death Star had a shopping mall for the residents. It's true!

Star Destroyers use gravity well generators as well.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:22 PM   #18
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

oh wow....

note to self: must read more SW databank.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:54 PM   #19
trolls' bane

You need the site? You have to go through a lot if you go directly from www.starwars.com. I could link you directly to the databank page.
http://www.starwars.com/databank/category/
Old 11-08-2005, 12:27 AM   #20
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Isn't the Death Star itself massive enough to create its own gravity? Or am I mistaken?
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Closed Thread