Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2000, 12:21 PM   #1
Taimar

US Presidential Election

I live in the UK (Glasgow) and have been watching the BBC`s coverage of the forthcoming US Presidential election with interest. Knowing that many US citizens are regular visitors to this board, I would be interested to sound out your opinions on the apparent inaccessability of the US political system to the ordinary American.

The perception over here is that the financial muscle required to run for political office (not just the Presidency) makes this an impossibility for the overwhelming majority of the population. I also get the impression that many Americans have a deep love for their country, but are extremely cynical towards their leaders. I have never visited the US and can therefore only rely on the reports I read in the press and see on television, but I`d be very interested to hear what the people who really know (that`s you guys) have to say on the matter.

One last point, my intention is not to start a heated political debate on this thread. I`m interested in the perception ordinary Americans have of the US political system, not opposing views on the Presidential candidates.

(PS: Darth Tater, I made a flippant remark on the Creation vs Evolution thread a while back. I wasn`t meant to be taken seriously, but I`m sorry if I offended you.)