Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2004, 06:54 PM   #1
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Ice Village, Chapter Four: Of Wizards and Beasts

First off a quick thank you to you guys who've been encouraging me to keep writing this and wanting to see more of Ice Village. It really means a lot to me that some people are actually interested in what I'm writing, and without you guys (Lief, Frog girl , AE...) I doubt that I would've kept writing it.

I've been trying to write another chapter, and today I finally managed to get this down. I think I'm happy with it, and I hope you guys will be to.

Ice Village, Chapter Four: Of Wizards and Beasts

The quiet shuffling of feet on stone was muffled, quieted along with the soft murmur of voices discussing and debating many matters. This was the most famous library out of many notable collections, and although it was never empty, it was large enough that there was always room for a little area of peace and quiet.

Dust motes swirled in torch, lamp, and sunlight, each place seeming illuminated by a different source. The floor was made from many slabs of colored marble, each one cunningly jointed and interlocked to form patterns and designs. Rising up high overhead, fluted pillars supported the massive roof, forming graceful archways from which gargoyles hung, peering down with nasty grimaces and frowns on anyone who might dare to so much as leave an ink mark on a book.

Muted, like the sound of feet and voices, a soft snore filled a little side area. A plain table had been set up, along with a comfortable chair and a small copper lamp, which could be conveniently lit as it grew darker outside. Even during the day the lamp was often needed as the large windows were mostly hidden by bookshelves of carved oak and mahogany, adorned heavily with fanciful frills and ornate designs.

The snore came from a man with a long white beard, his forehead resting gently on a book of great size and pillowishness. The book was about the Powers, and how they were sectioned away into certain talents that developed and changed over time. Not many people were at all interested in the Powers, unless of course they were training in them. It was rumored that Power Theory was a required course for Psionics and Wizards. But then again that hardly concerned the old man at the moment.

His name was Abanor, and although few knew him, many had heard of him in one form or another. He had written several books, and was in fact a teacher. He taught in class rooms, and in the library where he was currently napping, although by this time of day all his students were finished, and either at home or reading books more to their own interest. No one was near him… except for one creature.

Eyes of a shocking blue, filled with a sort of electric intelligence and energy, watched him closely, sharp teeth bared in a glimmering ivory smile. Its skin was a dark gray color, which tended to shift between a paler gray, and an earthy brown. Although it weighed little more than a human, it was easily the size of a large pony, and could carry larger burdens. It had arms and legs, although it really preferred to walk on all fours, and its cleverly joined limbs allowed it to move like a cat, and hang from walls like a monkey. Lastly, its tail was long and powerful, ending in an arrow-tip shape that went well with the membrane wings connected to its arms. A demon by all appearances.

Chuckling deeply it itself, it clung to the side of a bookcase and watched the man, every muscle tense and ready to pounce. It would not miss its target this time.

Silent as a wrath, it leapt forward, strong claws extended and ready to strike, its tail streaming behind it as it half glided and half fell towards the man. It knew its target, and it knew the job that must be done. With the barest whisper of claws sinking into soft wood, it landed in front of the man and its smile widened, sharp teeth bared as it leaned forward with mouth wide open.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote