Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-01-2000, 06:51 AM   #1
Morkhon

Bakshi movie review

This movie review is hilarious, everyone should definitely read it. www.speakeasy.org/~ohh/bakshi.htm
Old 10-01-2000, 12:46 PM   #2
Eruve

Re: Bakshi movie review

This whole site is just hilarious! It's one of the first Tolkien sites I came across when I first got on-line, and it had me :rollin:
Old 10-01-2000, 01:57 PM   #3
Grand Admiral Reese

That is a great site. The Art Gallery there is hilarious as well.
Old 10-03-2000, 03:18 AM   #4
Ghost of Gilthalion

That was great. Really great! I actually must admit that I was able to enjoy parts of the movie, but I can't disagree with a thing this guy has said!
Old 10-04-2000, 02:09 PM   #5
GlaurungTheGold

The sad thing is, that review is completely true
Old 10-05-2000, 01:31 AM   #6
RovingTurtle

7. The Ring-inscription.
In Bag End, Gandalf asks Frodo if he sees any inscription on the Ring. Finding none, they throw it into the fire. After a moment. Gandalf pulls the Ring back out of the fire. Frodo comments with surprise that it is still quite cool. But they never bother to look for the Ring-inscription, which makes the whole business of throwing the Ring into the fire kind of pointless.

Not the funniest one but just so great as to the fact that they actually left that out, priceless
Old 10-05-2000, 10:38 AM   #7
Ghost of Gilthalion

I took the frames showing Gandalf spinning (and furling his cloak over his head) and made a little animation for one of my RPG friends.

I did doctor this up some (obviously) but I thought that Gandalf played with his cloak over his head there to heigten the suspense...

In other words, I thought the scene was deliberately clumsy.

What we had in this movie, was a brilliant conception of how to animate a story like this. The execution was quite poor however. Tasteless and "tacky" as we would say in the South. Perhaps it was best left unfinished.
Old 10-06-2000, 09:34 PM   #8
Wizard of the Secret Fire

I love that site.
Old 10-07-2000, 01:45 AM   #9
Finduilas

I've probably said it before, but I like some parts of the Bashki movie (such as some of the animation), but I agree in general that it needed some work.

However, the way the orcs and some of the Nazgul were animated was really good (also the Rohirrim army).
Old 11-20-2000, 01:57 AM   #10
SahanaElf

Tis strange... some parts of the movie were actually quiet good, but the review is 100% true... I like these parts:

4. Late '70s Hair.

Everybody in this movie has unspeakably big hair. Pounds and pounds and pounds of it. I swear, I keep waiting for Gandalf to fall over under the sheer weight of it. And Saruman... it's perhaps better not to even talk about Saruman. I mean, he shouldn't have even been able to stand up.

9. Sam the Aborigine.

One of the side-effects of making Gandalf and Frodo go for a walk in the night air is this: when Gandalf discovers Sam eavesdropping, Sam isn't just outside the window (a sensible place for a gardener to be); he is, in fact, hiding behind a lone bush next to a stream where Gandalf and Frodo happen to walk. My question is this: what was Sam doing, in the middle of the night, hiding behind a bush, next to a stream?
Or do I really want to know?

11. Saruman's Voice.

It's their business, I suppose, if they want to cut everything referring to Saruman's melodic and persuasive voice; but did they have to make him sound like a gecko with a sore throat?

16. Strider.

Like Saruman, Aragorn also sounds inexplicably like a gecko with a sore throat. I don't care if it is John Hurt; he still sounds like a gecko with a sore throat. (Though not as sore a throat as the gecko playing Saruman.)

20. An Interesting Look.

Once Frodo recovers from the wound of the Morgul-knife, there's a scene where he lies in bed while Gandalf tells him of his escape from Isengard. At the very end of the scene, Gandalf leans over Frodo and tells him to rest. Intriguingly, Frodo turns away from Gandalf and looks directly into the camera, his eyes curiously tortured and beseeching. It's almost as if he's saying to the audience: "Please, please find a way to get me out of this ludicrous movie."

36. The Eye Of Sauron.

According to the Mirror of Galadriel, Sauron's watchful Eye is in fact a kaleidoscope.

40. Gollum.

Difficult as it is for me to say anything good about this movie, I actually think that Peter Woodthorpe did a good job as the voice of Gollum. Intriguingly, Gollum did not sound like a gecko with a sore throat (in spite of the fact that he's the one character who safely could have).

44. Wormtongue Looks Like A Jawa Straight Out Of "Star Wars".

You'd think George Lucas' lawyers would have filed a complaint. (I kept expecting him to say, "Uttini!")

50. Sam's Concern For His Master.

"After that?" Frodo asks sadly, when Sam asks about how they'll eat after reaching Mount Doom. "If the Ring goes into the Fire, and we're at hand? After that? Dear Sam! I wouldn't worry. Just to get there... just to get there! Oh, the Ring is so heavy now, Sam..." And Frodo casts his eyes downward, feeling again the acute weight of his burden.
After a moment Sam gets bored, stands up and begins to walk about whistling to himself.

52. Sam Peckinpah.

The orchestra now begins playing Christmas music as Gandalf rides Shadowfax through the Orcs, slaying at will. He begins killing them in hideous detail, and in gruesome slow motion at that. Two Orcs fall dead over the camera, the backs of their heads spraying blood. What the hell! Since they've already gone this far, they may as well make Lord of the Rings into a slasher flick too! Why not just give Gandalf a chainsaw and be done with it?

Yes, I know it was long. Who cares? It's funny!
Old 11-26-2000, 06:10 AM   #11
Loopy

:lol: I love that site. The "interesting look" one is my favorite.