Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-15-2000, 05:25 PM   #1
SilvaRanger

Where can I get a map of Lord of the Rings?

Hope I have posted this subject in the right place?! Sorry if not.
I am about to re-read LOTR yet again and I would like to have a map on which I could mark the travels of all the companions, as I read the book. This is something I have always wanted to do, as I struggle a bit with Middle Earth geography, and doing this might make things clearer in my mind. It'd also be fun I think. But I can't find a suitable map.
Ideally I would like a map of whole of middle earth, or at least whole area covered in LOTR. I would hate to have a really beautifully painted poster map or something and spoil it by drawing on it, so I think I need maybe a black and white map, or pale coloured, and simple but functional. I'd like one that shows all the places mentioned in LOTR, if one exists?
Ideas anyone please? Thanks.
Old 12-15-2000, 09:16 PM   #2
Grand Admiral Reese

Re: Where can I get a map of Lord of the Rings?

Try an online bookstore, or the Maps section of a regular one.
Old 12-15-2000, 09:31 PM   #3
Eruve

Re: Where can I get a map of Lord of the Rings?

There's one on-line you can consult, but just to warn you it's not perfect.

<a href=http://www.xkq24.dial.pipex.com/maps.htm>Click here.</a>
Old 12-16-2000, 08:20 AM   #4
anduin

Yowsers! Big file! Sorry folks.

I have the perfert map for you.....black and white with red lettering.
E-mail me your addy and I will send it to you.
I'll also post it here, but I think you will get a better image if you print it directly from the file.
BTW, you do have a printer, right? Also, it is quite large and I doubt it will fit on a 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper,
(maybe 11 X 17 if your printer will handle it)
but if you have photoshop or an equivalent you could make two seperate images and then tape them together or something.
My e-mail addy is mcasto@bellsouth.net.

Old 12-16-2000, 07:01 PM   #5
SilvaRanger

Lord of rings map

Thanks for help everyone.
Map looks great Anduin, thanks, I'll check my printer paper size, thanks for offer to email it to me
Old 12-16-2000, 08:15 PM   #6
anduin

You're welcome! :)

Does anyone know which publication of LOTR that map comes from? I know it is the fold out map from a hardback.
Old 12-17-2000, 12:34 AM   #7
Eruve

Re: You're welcome! :)

I don't know where that map is from but I can tell you which one it isn't. The first hardback edition of Unfinished Tales came with a fold out map, but I don't think there was any red on it. Also it had Lond Daer, Eryn Vorn and Druwaith Iaur on it, and those aren't on your map. OTOH I did notice a thing or two in red that I haven't seen before: like the "Nen" something or other (can't read it, it's too small) near Isengard and what seems to be the location of the Pillar of the White Hand.
Old 12-17-2000, 01:22 AM   #8
anduin

Re: You're welcome! :)

The map is from a somewhat recent publication.....within the last 10 years at least. My friend's hardback has that map inside FOTR.....I just can't remember what the front looks like.

LOL! I just decided to check my copy of LOTR and sure enough I have the same map. I have paperbacks (with dust jackets illustrated by Lee) published by Houghton Mifflin in 1987. The map is the same only it is not a fold out and it is only in black and white.