Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-13-2003, 04:57 PM   #1
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Fanfic Contamination

Now, I love reading Harry Potter fanfic, but I'm starting to wonder if it might affect my reading of the next books. I mean, you get used to liking someone like Draco in fanfic and then you find he's supposed to be evil again in Book 5? It's too confusing for me! Seriously though, I do wonder how it will change Book 5 for me. Anyone else got any thoughts?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 07:24 PM   #2
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

How bout all those Harry/Draco love relationship fics. Or Ron/Harry, or even Draco/Harry. They're pretty stupid for the most part.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:44 PM   #3
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

I agree. I mostly don't read fan fic. If I get a Potter craving, I just read the BOOKS, man!
Old 03-14-2003, 12:09 AM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'm a Fan-Fic virgin.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:05 AM   #5
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Bah, you people! Harry/Draco rules all! *points at avatar*

Okay, I know. Slash is belrgh to some people, but I read it because it amuses me. It makes me happy when I'm bored. It's only there for us to play about with the characters anyway, that's all fan-fic is about. But H/D is the only slash I read. We're all waiting for book 5 and need something to do in the meantime.

As for it contaminating your view of book 5, Draco *is* evil. Everything you read in fanfic is to be termed an alternative universe. The books rule the fanfic after all.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 11:51 AM   #6
Daughter of Elros

fanfics are great- their characters are far more humn than in the books, plus it allows you to look at HP from different veiwpoints. and of coursem JKR doesn't write slash. I would say that we'll probably be able to separate books from fanfics when we read OOTP. June 21, baby!

-DoE
Daughter of Elros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 05:06 PM   #7
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfmaster XK
Bah, you people! Harry/Draco rules all! *points at avatar*
*laughing hysterically* is that what your avatar is of? Draco? LOL! I thought it was girl! lol! thats too funny!

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 10:43 PM   #8
Sailor Saiya-Elf
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Daughter of Elros
fanfics are great- their characters are far more humn than in the books, plus it allows you to look at HP from different veiwpoints. and of coursem JKR doesn't write slash. I would say that we'll probably be able to separate books from fanfics when we read OOTP. June 21, baby!

-DoE
I agree with the different viewpoint thing. But that's not nessisarily (sp?) a bad thing. The thing you need is to be able to think of them as the origional characters and the mutilated fic versions. (eg Legolas. Real-not girly False-very girly) It's not all that hard, and mutilated characters are good fun :P.

PS-JKR writing slash? It'd be a great twist on things, but there'd be a revolt of angry parents. Dang.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:54 PM   #9
Daughter of Elros

there's a funny fanfic about the 5th book being delayed because people were trying to close slash fanfiction websites, and JKR was writing OOTP to be slash. was improbable, but very funny.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:13 PM   #10
Elfmaster XK

Quote:
Originally posted by eowyngirl14
*laughing hysterically* is that what your avatar is of? Draco? LOL! I thought it was girl! lol! thats too funny!
Yeah, the whole thing is a Draco/Harry pic, but, well, Draco is girly isn't he?

Quote:
PS-JKR writing slash? It'd be a great twist on things, but there'd be a revolt of angry parents. Dang.
Too true. It's sad that it'd make people angry though, why should it?

Quote:
there's a funny fanfic about the 5th book being delayed because people were trying to close slash fanfiction websites, and JKR was writing OOTP to be slash. was improbable, but very funny.
I wish it were so, and I think JK is secretly a closet slasher. Subtext...so much subtext...

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 03-17-2003, 06:41 PM   #11
Sailor Saiya-Elf
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfmaster XK

Too true. It's sad that it'd make people angry though, why should it?
Blame society.
Old 03-18-2003, 04:07 AM   #12
Elfmaster XK

Quote:
Originally posted by Sailor Saiya-Elf
Blame society.
Well I blame it for everything else, why not?

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 03-19-2003, 07:34 AM   #13
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Draco is so not girly....

The thing I don't like about fanfic is that usually the characters and personalities are mangled beyond belief. Sheesh, you'd think people who read the books obsessively would have a better grasp on the main characters at least ...

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 12:40 PM   #14
Daughter of Elros

Quote:
Sheesh, you'd think people who read the books obsessively would have a better grasp on the main characters at least
We were commenting on her avatar, sweet. And Draco did look a bit girly. But I'm amazed that people didn't have it pegged as Draco- I did, but thought I was simply too obsessed and said "It can't be- No one else is as obsessed with him as I am!"

-DoE
Old 03-21-2003, 04:53 PM   #15
TolkienGurl
Hobbit

Harry Potter fanfics are good as long as they aren't slash (as in Harry/Draco). It bothers me to think of the characters like that. *winces*

I suggest reading the Draco trilogy by Cassandra Claire on Fiction Alley.
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 04:58 PM   #16
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally posted by TolkienGurl
I suggest reading the Draco trilogy by Cassandra Claire on Fiction Alley.
I love that! It's fantastic
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 05:07 PM   #17
Jadera
Elven Warrior

I don't usually read HP fan fiction simply because of the amount of slash fiction, especially on ff.net. It's either that or HP/HG (Harry/Hermoine) fiction, and I'm not a big fan of that pairing either. Ocasionally I'll find something I like, but I don't think fan fiction has ever altered my views on the books.

~Chivalry isn't dead, it just transferred to women~
Jadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 05:12 PM   #18
Elfmaster XK

Quote:
Originally posted by Daughter of Elros
We were commenting on her avatar, sweet. And Draco did look a bit girly. But I'm amazed that people didn't have it pegged as Draco- I did, but thought I was simply too obsessed and said "It can't be- No one else is as obsessed with him as I am!"

-DoE
Well, now you've met me! As completely obsessed as you then. I thought people *knew* how obsessed I was, but apparently not. Oh well. If you ever want to see any good pics, I can point you in the right direction!

Quote:
I don't usually read HP fan fiction simply because of the amount of slash fiction, especially on ff.net. It's either that or HP/HG (Harry/Hermoine) fiction, and I'm not a big fan of that pairing either. Ocasionally I'll find something I like, but I don't think fan fiction has ever altered my views on the books.
There are a lot of amazingly well written fics out there, with unusual pairings. You should check some of them out if you like HP, as it is just fun to look at characters in other ways that you do in the books. And no, not necessarily am I talking about slash. I like it, but others are allowed the opinion to not like it. There's stuff out there about the Lestrangers, Lucius/Narcissa, Sirius/Lily (obviously before James came to be on the scene.) Some of it is great! I don't think you should not read just becasue you think most of it is slash fiction. There's a lot, but there's an equal amount of het fics.

Want any recs for specific pairings?

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 03-24-2003, 10:54 AM   #19
Daughter of Elros

Quote:
Wow. I could reccommend a really good fanfic that my friend V wrote- it added an original character- kinda a mary-Sue, but she was a really good one. anyway- she was close to harry, but ended up falling for draco- really twisted, and still amazingly sweet. Everyone who read it loved it, she was going to post it. problem was, it was stored on her computer, and her computer was destroyed in a fire this summer. so it's gone forever now.

On another note- i don't have any problems with Slash- though femmeslash for HP just doesn't work. I only read HP m/m. favorite pairings- harry/Snape, Harry/Draco, Sirius/Seamus, Snape/anybody. "Course, I also like het. (m/f)

Anyone want to post links to fics or sites?

-DoE
Old 03-25-2003, 04:58 PM   #20
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
Draco is so not girly....

The thing I don't like about fanfic is that usually the characters and personalities are mangled beyond belief. Sheesh, you'd think people who read the books obsessively would have a better grasp on the main characters at least ...
The thing is, other than Dumbledore, Sirius, Remus, and Snape, we don't really know their characters. That's what make it such a fun story to make a fanfic. Think about it, do we really know Harry's motivation for doing the things he does, she doesn't go into it...so why couldn't he be just doing what the world expects of him and putting up a front. draco is a favorite character to write in the fandom because we know next to nothing about him except that he calls people names, he has an empty character to fill.

Thats also a reason why i don't think it'll be hard to seperate the actual story from the fanfics, a fanfiction writer normally leads you into revelations, they won't just jump into your head when there isn't any reason for them to just pop in there now is there?

Oh yeah liking Draco. i don't think It'll be weird because think about it when you didn't like him was it because he was evil or because he acted like such a bigotted jerk?

edit: coming back later with a looong list, but right now i'm not on my home computer.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”

Last edited by TwirlingString : 03-25-2003 at 04:59 PM.
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote