Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-30-2003, 12:21 PM   #1
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

ROTK traaaaaaaaaailer!!!

Go to TheOneRing.net now to pick up your copy! Not the official release yet, so it's not perfect quality... on the other hand, I'm still downloading mine (really slowly) so I haven't seen it yet... but I'll post thoughts when I do!
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 12:37 PM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Okay, it's official - TOR.N just crashed the Internet.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 07-30-2003, 12:43 PM   #3
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

grrrr!!!! those links don't load.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:01 PM   #4
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

well. It's downloading now (the 22MB version). *cross fingers and waits 1h 10 mins.* this is going too slowly!!!
Old 07-30-2003, 01:24 PM   #5
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I got one, I got one! Will post comments as soon as I watch it...

Old 07-30-2003, 01:53 PM   #6
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Initial thoughts:

Well, first of all, I really do have to see a much bigger version of this. There's so much going on, and it just isn't right to see it in so small a frame.

- This trailer definitely features Merry and Pippin more than any that we saw for the first two films. Hopefully this carries over to the film. We do see a shot of Gandalf riding away with Pippin, as well as Merry and Pippin parting just before.

- We see nothing of the confrontation at Isengard... yet.

- The look of the Mordor orcs is appropriately much grimier than the Uruk-hai. Very Mordor-ish.

- As I suspected, the inclusion of Osgiliath in TTT was indeed a way to lead into Faramir's flight back to Minas Tirith (as opposed to having it be a "background event" as in the book).

- More Eowyn is a good thing.

- Minas Tirith looks great. In one shot, they all ride out of Minas Tirith with Aragorn in the lead with the White Tree on his armour - this looks very much like it is after the defence of Gondor, and on the way to the Morannon.

- Eomer leads the Rohirrhim in the charge! Woohoo!

- The catapult siege looks beautiful. I can't make out if the projectiles they are using are actually human heads (not that they'd show this in a trailer, of course) as is the case in the book, though.

- Shelob's lair looks really creepy. Already makes the Aragog scene in The Chamber of Secrets look like child's play (and that was a good scene).

- Aragorn waving a torch and Legolas in the background, in what seems like the Paths of the Dead...

- Gandalf appears to be facing a mounted Nazgul on the walls of Minas Tirith rather than at the gates... I hope they don't shaft the gates, though - that's one of the great climaxes of the events in Book V.

Old 07-30-2003, 01:59 PM   #7
elf queen
Hobbit

Arwen Undomiel

I got it about half an hour ago and OMG
quick it could be deleted soon!!!!!!!
(since it isnt offical )
elf queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 02:18 PM   #8
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Got it!!! Let's see it
Old 07-30-2003, 02:57 PM   #9
Sween
im quite stupid

can anyone show post me a link for it here?
Old 07-30-2003, 03:34 PM   #10
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

wow! wow! wooooow!!!
I really love the trailer. Great. Does PJ direct the trailers himself? I doubt it. All the trilogy trailers have been far better than the movies... a pity

Sween: not here, please. TOR.N have retired it, you know
Old 07-30-2003, 04:32 PM   #11
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Actually, he's directly involved in editing the trailers, and directing which effects shots are to be rushed in post-production in order to meet trailer release deadlines. And besides, all of those shots were directed by him (or his ADs) in the first place, no?

Old 07-30-2003, 04:51 PM   #12
Warrior
Hobbit

of course the one day this week i had to work early, this comes out and then vanishes. grrrr - there must be some way...whos got this thats on AIM right now? haha
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 05:13 PM   #13
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I got the 10MB trailer, and I downloaded the 22MB, but I wasn't able to unrar it. But the small version still looks good.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:48 PM   #14
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! The trailer is amazing. I especially loved Gandalf's conversation with Pippin.

I was blown away by the grand sweep of the war. This movie is going to blow people away!!!!!
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 11:02 PM   #15
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

wow that was amazing now i cant wait for the movie
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 11:07 PM   #16
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

I just noticed something interesting after my umpteenth viewing of the trailer.

It begins with the ring in the palm of Frodo's hand....then I realised IT'S NOT FRODO'S HAND!!!!!
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 11:31 PM   #17
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

is it sams?
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 11:51 PM   #18
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Whoa!

As a matter of fact, the hand might be Smeagol or Deagol's! Think about it... look at the shot carefully... looks like we're getting a flashback on Gollum's past!

Old 07-31-2003, 04:03 AM   #19
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
- Gandalf appears to be facing a mounted Nazgul on the walls of Minas Tirith rather than at the gates... I hope they don't shaft the gates, though - that's one of the great climaxes of the events in Book V.
... and Pippin is riding with him when he faces the Nazgul!!
Old 07-31-2003, 09:30 AM   #20
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

If anyone is looking for the trailer it is now being traded on Kazaa. There are many fakes, the real one is 30,390KB.
squinteyedsoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote