Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-17-2003, 09:57 AM   #1
Sween
im quite stupid

American War Of Independance

Ive been reading the thread about indepedance day in realtion to Britian! But i am not really that sure of the war myself. It wasnt really touched on that much in my history classes i suppose it isnt there because we tend to be more intrested in our vicotys rather than defeats.

How much do other Brits know about the acctual war and if the American mooters could (unbiasedly) tell us some information like how much of an effort did we make to keep it? legistcally it must of been a nightmare for us to fight i mean that big ocean to cross etc!

Much apperciated i feel this is one of the few areas of the world where my knowledge is limited lol
Old 07-17-2003, 10:24 AM   #2
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Intersting yer should mention the logistics Sween there was a program on telly the other night that said that logistically the only other war to even vaguely compare to the War of Independance was the Vietnam war.

The prog is continues next week (Tuesday, BBC2 9 pm).

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 12:09 PM   #3
Elf Girl
Lurker

I don't believe the Brits made much of an effort. They were fighting a war over in Europe with Spain, I believe, and of course it was difficult to get troops over here.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 12:25 PM   #4
Radagast
Elven Warrior

Indeed, and had we devoted our full power toward those upstart colonials we would have undoubtedly crushed their spirited rebellion!
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 01:02 PM   #5
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Gee General Cornwall must have made a mistake in giving up then?
England had some great leaders to guide the fighting in the colonies and greater still because at one point one realized they were fighting a losing battle. One that would deplete their ranks before resources could be replaced.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:31 PM   #6
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

Like Elf Girl said, they probably weren't making too much of an effort. They had troops all over the place, their armies far too stretched out. King George planned on taking the Colonies back if he lost them. Even on his deathbed in 1820 I think he mentioned them. Plus, near the end the U.S. had France.

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 02:32 PM   #7
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Although the Brits had the numbers and discpline, Americans still had more on their side. Wars fought on home turf usually tend to make the home team fight more desperately and with all they have. I know that I don't have to explain the psychology behind that.

And at some point the British realized that the cost of the war was going to far outstretch the worth of the colonies, so for that reason and for other reasons regarding the stability of Europe they strategically pulled out.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 02:37 PM   #8
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Which explains why it's so difficult to get a good cup o tea in the colonies. Oh, except for "sweet tea" down home way.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:00 PM   #9
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
Which explains why it's so difficult to get a good cup o tea in the colonies. Oh, except for "sweet tea" down home way.
I'm wondering what 'colonies' your talking about mister. And I hope for your sake your not talking about America.

I like my tea on ice, thanks. Too hot here for any warm drinks anyway.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 07:42 PM   #10
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
I'm wondering what 'colonies' your talking about mister. And I hope for your sake your not talking about America.

I like my tea on ice, thanks. Too hot here for any warm drinks anyway.
HEY lighten up. I am a Southerner in the CSA of this country USA. I call us "the colonies" when speaking to my friends in the UK and I also call the Atlantic Ocean "the pond".

Sweet Tea is a Southern specialty and is the best iced tea you can get anywhere.

So for your sake I hope you're not starting the war of Northern Aggression all over again.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:40 PM   #11
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
HEY lighten up. I am a Southerner in the CSA of this country USA. I call us "the colonies" when speaking to my friends in the UK and I also call the Atlantic Ocean "the pond".

Sweet Tea is a Southern specialty and is the best iced tea you can get anywhere.

So for your sake I hope you're not starting the war of Northern Aggression all over again.
You silly little weevil , I happen to live in the South myself. I happen to know what Sweet Tea is and you probably live in South Carolina or Georgia (guessing). But WE do not call ourselves 'the colonies' at all. That is a derogatory term that Brits use to refer to the USA, in an attempt to make themselves seem superior to us, because they're all pissy over us breaking away from them and stomping their butts.

So, NO... I am not trying to start a war with you.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:14 PM   #12
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I have no problem calling us the colonies as it's not a declaration or an endorsement. Merely it is a point of contention with my friends most of whom don't like to be reminded we were once colonies.

I'm also proud to be a guardian of Lee and S.Jacksons resting place.

And a sacred book is "The South Was Right".

Last edited by Spock : 07-17-2003 at 10:16 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 11:23 PM   #13
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I will get into the debate about ther Revolution and challenge some of the erroneous statements - such as those made by Ef Girl stating that the British didn't try that hard to keep the American Colonies.

Right now I will respond to this...
Quote:
I have no problem calling us the colonies as it's not a declaration or an endorsement. Merely it is a point of contention with my friends most of whom don't like to be reminded we were once colonies.
I will not use the term colony to refer to the United States. I have been to England and the only time it was used was as a deragtory term. I have also heard it used by British people in the US as a way of putting down American and acting superior. This is from PERSONAL experience. This was one of the MANY things that showed me that I can like some of the people of Britain, I can like it's history, but as far as living there - that is out of the question.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 12:08 AM   #14
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
I'm also proud to be a guardian of Lee and S.Jacksons resting place.
Robert E. Lee was buried in Lexington, Virginia. Then I guess that's where you are.

Quote:
And a sacred book is "The South Was Right".
Sorry, never heard of it. Just now looked it up.
[strained voice]I will refrain from comment so as not to provoke a fight.[/strained voice]

ACK!!! .. must ... be.... GOOD!!!
Old 07-18-2003, 12:51 AM   #15
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Colonies, eh? Ooh, good: something new to annoy JD with.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 01:08 AM   #16
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

If I remember U.S. History One correct the Battle of Saratoga was the turning point in the Revolutionary War (American Victory). After that the British continued their campgain in the South and eventually General Cornwallis is surrounded at Yorktown and surrenders. Pretty much after that the British withdrew their troops.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 03:22 AM   #17
Hemel
Elven Warrior

About colonies ...
Quote:
That is a derogatory term that Brits use to refer to the USA, in an attempt to make themselves seem superior to us, because they're all pissy over us breaking away from them and stomping their butts.
Well ...... as a Brit (and being English probably the worst type of Brit ) I don't agree with that

And to answer Sween's original question? I know very little ... 'cept again it had something to do with tea ...

Last edited by Hemel : 07-18-2003 at 03:27 AM.
Hemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 05:00 AM   #18
Radagast
Elven Warrior

It always makes me laugh at how decidedly unpatriotic most English are. I'm the most patriotic Englishman I've ever met.

Brits- when have you ever seen a major celebration for St. George's Day? How many of you know the full words to our National Anthem? Yet when St. Patrick's day wheels around we all don the green suits and sing old rebel songs about people who tried to blow up our grandfathers! Mad, eh?

To contrast- apparently (don't know if its true) American schoolchildren sing their anthem after morning in school, there's a flag in every classroom and (although I don't want to say it and no I don't want to flame) Americans have very little patience and/or sense of humour when it comes to non-American or anti-American jokes (even when obviously so)

Lighten up.

So, speaking of stereotypes, I simply must get my morning suit on, pop down to Eton, get my country casual gear and go off hunting with Prince Charles what, what?!
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 07:54 AM   #19
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

brumph, brumph, quite rite ol chap. do them good to laugh a bit, what.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:30 AM   #20
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast
It always makes me laugh at how decidedly unpatriotic most English are. I'm the most patriotic Englishman I've ever met.

apparently (don't know if its true) American schoolchildren sing their anthem after morning in school, there's a flag in every classroom and (although I don't want to say it and no I don't want to flame) Americans have very little patience and/or sense of humour when it comes to non-American or anti-American jokes (even when obviously so)

Lighten up.

It was true! I love those old songs! Hard to sing too! My faves...America the Beautiful, and This land is Your Land. The Star Spangled Banner was/is really tough! Alto?....soprano?.... I'm glad they quit playing the Kate Smith "God bless America" though...got tired of her!
I love all that flag stuff too! I liked it when you just did it..(the pledge every morning, and at sports events and scout meetings) On Army bases, (where I lived for a fair amount of years) I enjoyed the ritual of stopping the car when taps was played (I think it was daily at 5 PM, can't remember) and the flag lowered, and my dad would have to get out of the car and stand and salute. Not like today, when apparently some children (and adults) decide to "think" about whether they want to salute and respect their country first! (are you gonna start that thread Elf Girl? ) Also, I noticed last year in my son's first grade room, no flag.. but every morning, after announcements, they look up, to the televised flag on the screen that is suspended from the ceiling, in the corner, and recite the pledge along with the students in the office who are leading the announcements.

I'm glad BBC has that cable channel BBC America. I need more "British" in my life! I really like several of the shows...Changing Rooms, Bargain Hunt, Graham Norton.....British people are even funnier than I thought! I love the accent of the pretty little frail blonde designer on "Changing Rooms"...she sounds so lovely, no matter what she's saying!

Last edited by Lizra : 07-18-2003 at 08:31 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote