Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

Writing Preferences

I did a search for this and I didn't see anything like it... but if there's a similar thread that's been hidden away in some dark and dusty corner, then by all means, do away with this one

I saw a post on another forum about the preferences of writers in terms of what they use to write.

So, which way do you swing: You like the feel of clacking those keys or you prefer the rhythm of writing it out by hand? And why is that your preferred method?

Or do you prefer different writing mediums for different kinds of writing? Why?

Do you think the style you use says anything about your writing? Do you feel that it has any effect on your finished product? Or is it just an arbitrary decision based on what's available at the time?

My preferences to follow in a later post. Assuming this thread makes it to later posts

"Even a mirror will not show you yourself, if you do not wish to see."

"But remember... clowns make two things around here: balloon animals... and enemies."

"If I loved you then I would love you in any way I could, and if we could not touch, then I would draw strength from your beauty... And if I went blind, I would fill my soul with the sound of your voice and the contents of your thoughts until the last spark of my love for you lit the shabby darkness of my dying mind."

Empress_Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
ElizabethAnnRoger
Elven Warrior

I prefer to write with a pencil, not a pen because it is too slippery. I prefer to write because it gives me time to think. I'll only write five minutes worth of writing in one hour because I think of everything. I like to listen to a soundtrack that relates to my writing and it helps move it along and form the story.
So that's how I do.

Vive l'Empereur! Now and for always...

Elizabeth Ann Roger

ElizabethAnnRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
katya
Elven Maiden

I like to type because I like the feeling of it and I can type fast. I like typing on a computer because it's very convenient and I can erase and rearrange very easily. But, I like a notebook for the feeling of it. Ideally, I'm going to start looking for a typewriter. I don't like writing by hand very much. You can tell from my writing because it's very small and slurred together, showing that I pretty much move the pen as little as humanly possible.

That's mostly with creative writing in mind. For papers for school and stuff like that I vastly prefer typing. I'm a pretty fast typer, and that's necessary for me because I like to get my thoughts down as fast as I can think them. For taking notes in class it's gotta be pen/paper though. I have to be able to draw pictures and stuff, and especially in math.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
ElizabethAnnRoger
Elven Warrior

yeah i have to agree
with school-computer, its faster and idk...more umm, well easier to put thoughts down on quickly then pencil
creative writing- always pencil

Vive l'Empereur! Now and for always...

Elizabeth Ann Roger

ElizabethAnnRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

Guess it's time for me to write in my own darn thread!

Okie... when it comes to short things or poetry I typically enjoy physically writing it out on whatever is at hand... with pen, pencil, on scraps of paper, notebooks, napkins... whatever is around.... lest I forget it before I have it down...

This is why my fiance got me a little moleskin notebook to carry around with me for my birthday lol....

My handwriting is incredibly sloppy and I take pride in this lol.... most of my handwritten rough drafts have loads of cross outs and margin notes and scribbles everywhere.. I think it lends some sort of character to the piece.

When it comes to longer works, I almost always type it out. I can type reasonably fast (though I don't type in the actual sense of the word, it's more like hyper hunt and pecking). This is mainly for practical reasons as longer pieces are just easier to manage on computers.

However, most of the ideas for my longer pieces start out as written scribbles somewhere else...

"But remember... clowns make two things around here: balloon animals... and enemies."

"If I loved you then I would love you in any way I could, and if we could not touch, then I would draw strength from your beauty... And if I went blind, I would fill my soul with the sound of your voice and the contents of your thoughts until the last spark of my love for you lit the shabby darkness of my dying mind."

Old 10-04-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
katya
Elven Maiden

My ideas for longer stories start out on paper too, so I can outline with a picture and stuff like that. And cross-outs and margin notes definitely add character.

We both have moleskin notebooks too! I carry mine everywhere. It took soooo long to come in too. They had a selection at the bookstore, but I wanted a specific size and type. I have the small-ish plain journal thing I think it's called. Not the sketchbook with the thick pages but the thinner pages without lines. I like no-lines for poetry and drawings. I write pretty straight and also I like to be able to write very small and in whatever patterns I want.

Oh and I type properly. It's a lot faster....
Old 10-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

Yes! Mine is no lines, thin pages, and flexible moleskin! Lol... I was so excited when he got it for me because I've wanted one forever...

I prefer no lines for poetry as well... I prefer no lines for most things because I like to doodle (even though I can't draw at all) and because it feels less constricted.

I carry it everywhere

Old 10-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #8
katya
Elven Maiden

Yes, exactly, less constricted. I can't draw very well, but when I do I hate drawing on lined paper, and that's pretty much what I usually have with me, before I got the moleskin. Very nice. I draw 4-panel comics about teachers and co-workers and stuff like that in it. Among other things. Mostly poetry.

You should post something in the poems thread.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #9
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

Lol oh dear... me posting poems... oh dear...

Most of mine are kinda dirty lol...

Or at least lovey...

That or really depressed.

Well... I'll think about it at any rate

Old 10-05-2008, 04:23 AM   #10
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I prefer writing my stories on computer. I tend to edit and rewrite heavily and computers are more practical in that aspect than paper. If computers didn't exists, I most definitely wouldn't have started writing, or rather, as I already take years to finish a story on computer, I would never ever get anything finished properly with only paper at my disposal.

I do still use pen and paper but as an aid. I've got a old note-book at my bed that I use for out-lines, time-lines, name lists, rough scenes and impromptu poems for the larger stories that hang around to be developed but have never been written down apart from the notes or snatches of dialogue. And may never get written either, funnily enough those are mostly fanfiction too.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:41 AM   #11
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress_Flynn View Post
Lol oh dear... me posting poems... oh dear...

Most of mine are kinda dirty lol...

Or at least lovey...

That or really depressed.

Well... I'll think about it at any rate
LOL.. Oh my... I think I like you.

(2500 posts! 1/4 of the way to 10,000!)
Old 10-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #12
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

Yay, I'm liked!

I missed you at the Moot yesterday too!

Fiance finally gave me my moleskin notebook, even if it's not quite my birthday yet hehe

Old 10-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #13
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

If it has a deadline I type all but the outline because it's faster and I procrastinate.
Everything else I do in long-hand using the cheap Top Flight notebooks and black R.S.V.P pens because I hate the scritching that pencils make and other pens don't write smoothly when used left-handed. I like handwritten drafts and notes because they're much more portable and less likely to be stolen and because I like writing in cursive and can be certain that no one can read it without my help.
Recently I've started keeping notes, sketches and hardcopies of rough drafts in a filing drawer so that I can find them and so that I don't have to keep a pile of embarrassing sketchbooks just to have a visual record of character development.
On my computer I've started keeping my files alphabetized and coded according to what they're for. It's a bit OCD, but it works.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:26 AM   #14
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

Hey, we like OCD here! Especially when it comes to organization of notes and sketches and files!

Quote:
and can be certain that no one can read it without my help.
Haha! One of the best reasons to write it out if you have messy handwriting (like moi). Yes, a very good side benefit.

Last edited by Empress_Flynn : 10-12-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:30 PM   #15
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Who said my handwriting was messy?
My handwriting is very good. I've taken great pains to bring my cursive to the point of being so elegantly spikey that no one but me can tell what it says.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #16
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

Lol, well excuse my misunderstanding, I beg you!

My own handwriting is horrible... they made me do extra penmanship work in elementary school but gave up when I didn't improve much...

Isn't there something about geniuses having messy handwriting?

Old 10-18-2008, 12:40 PM   #17
katya
Elven Maiden

Haha, my handwriting is really messy too. I get impatient and like I said, only move the pencil around as much as is necessary. I have a habit of leaving out letters. Quite a lot. I can write well if I put my mind to it, but I never have the patience.

Pet peeve: pencils that aren't dark/crisp enough.