Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Did Théoden recognize Aragorn as Thorongil?

Disguised as “Thorongil”, Aragorn served Thengel King of Rohan (Théoden’s father) and Ecthelion II Ruling Steward of Gondor (Denethor’s father) from 2957 until 2980, about 23 years. Appendix A to the Lord of the Rings strongly hints that Denethor discerned that “Thorongil” was in fact the Chieftain of the Dúnedain and thus the Heir of Isildur and rightful King of Gondor; this fed Denethor’s distrust of Gandalf.

Denethor was two years older than Aragorn. Théoden was 17 years younger. He was about 9 when Thorongil arrived in Rohan. If Thorongil spent about 10 of the 23 years in Rohan, then Théoden was about 19 when Thorongil went to Gondor. However you slice it, he was probably a teenager when Thorongil left. They must have known one another well since Thorongil probably lived in Thengel’s household.

It appears that Thorongil was rather fond of Théoden: when Théoden leaves with Éomer and Merry to ride to Dunharrow after Aragorn has looked into the Stone of Orthanc, Aragorn tells his cousin Halbarad, “There go three that I love, and the smallest not the least.”

Tolkien presents Théoden as intelligent, wise, and insightful. Did Théoden recognize Aragorn as Thorongil? Might Gandalf have told him who Aragorn was when he removed Wormtongue’s bewitchment on the stairs before Meduseld? Did Théoden figure it out on his own? (In the Peter Jackson films, Théoden tells Éowyn that Aragorn served her grandfather, something she has trouble believing.) Might this have influenced his decisions to go to war himself, and to trust Éomer again?

Last edited by Alcuin : 03-06-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:28 AM   #2
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I think quite possibly so. Maybe the recognition grew on him though, instead of coming all at first. It may have even settled a mystery in his own mind. It had been 50+ years since Thorongil had left Rohan. I wonder how much Aragorn's appearance changed in that time. Not just the years - but transforming from a soldier of Rohan then Gondor - to a man who lived in the wild for long periods. And maybe he came to Rohan that way to begin with. His voice might have helped stir the memories.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I lean towards the idea that Théoden did not recognise Aragorn as Thorongil. I think he would probably have mentioned something or alluded to their shared history if he did, especially if there was an old friendship there. Théoden was less keen on secrecy as Denethor.

But I don't rule out that Théoden recognised something familiar, trustworthy even, about Aragorn that made him trust the stranger more than he might have done otherwise. Whether he made the concious connection between the memory of a past warrior and this new-comer... I assume not.

I doubt Gandalf would have said anything about Aragorn was to Théoden. It was not his secret to reveal. Gandalf worked diffferently.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:24 AM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I think you're probably right, Earn.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #5
Alcuin
Salt Miner

This thread has been quiet a couple of days, so I’ll push this a little further, but not too far. Appendix A, in the section on the Stewards, says (bolding mine)
Quote:
Thorongil men called him in Gondor, the Eagle of the Star, for he was swift and keen-eyed, and wore a silver star upon his cloak
Assuming that Aragorn dressed the same was in Rohan, compare that to this in RotK, “Passing of the Grey Company”,
Quote:
[T]he Rangers sat, silent, in an ordered company, armed with spear and bow and sword. They were clad in cloaks of dark grey… There was no gleam of stone or gold, nor any fair thing in all their gear and harness: nor did their riders bear any badge or token, save only that each cloak was pinned upon the left shoulder by a brooch of silver shaped like a rayed star.
That star was the designation of the Dúnedain of the North, I believe. In Appendix B, under the entry for Shire Year 1436, we find that Aragorn makes Sam an honorary Ranger:
Quote:
King Elessar rides north. and dwells for a while by Lake Evendim. … He gives the Star of the Dúnedain to Master Samwise…
So if on the morning of March 6, Théoden sees the Rangers sitting “silent, in an ordered company, armed with spear and bow and sword … clad in cloaks of dark grey… each cloak was pinned upon the left shoulder by a brooch of silver shaped like a rayed star,” would be be suffering memory loss to fail to recall that Thorongil, or whatever the Rohirrim called Aragorn during his sojourn with them, was dressed in the same garb?
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I wouldn't call it memory loss persé. Do you remember every eye-catching detail of garb from people you haven't seen or maybe even thought of during majority of your life? (I know I wouldn't, but I won't claim to be particularly observant in that field...) In any case we are talking decades here. And I think it would require that the custom, or the jewel in question, is really only specific to the Dúnedain and that Théoden knows this.

I daresay the silver rayed star was a fairly recent symbol for the Northern Dúnedain, perhaps even started by Aragorn himself, although I may be wrong at that. Feel free to hit me with quotes in that regard.

And even if the sight did stir an ancient memory of an old acquintance, it doesn't necessarily mean that Théoden connected the memory of Thorongil with Aragorn. If it reminded him at all of Thorongil, he may just have thought that long-gone Thorongil was of the same people thate were now sitting before him.

I still maintain that (in my opinion) if Théoden did recognise Thorongil in Aragorn, he would have mentioned it.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote