Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-02-2004, 04:43 PM   #161
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
And Indiana is the only other eastern team I see who can go head to head against the best in the west.
Detroit?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:10 PM   #162
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
Detroit?
nah. they cant hang with that bunch. I dont even think they are as good as they were last year. Milicic didnt pan out at all and they were expecting him to. And Ben Wallace can only take you so far. Its an ok team but nothing special. They could get hot for the playoffs but I dont see them winning series after series.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:24 PM   #163
Valandil

Quote:
nah. they cant hang with that bunch. I dont even think they are as good as they were last year. Milicic didnt pan out at all and they were expecting him to. And Ben Wallace can only take you so far. Its an ok team but nothing special. They could get hot for the playoffs but I dont see them winning series after series.
You're probably right. As mentioned before, it's hard to pay much attention to the league at large this year when the local team is SO bad and has been so bad for so long - after reaching such heights of prior glory I guess. So I really don't know the teams that well. There was some speculation that Detroit's trade to pick up Rasheed Wallace could move them forward (OR could blow up in their faces... I remember his first game in the league - it was against the Bulls, and he actually bounced a ball off of MJ's head!!!... and he was a fellow Tar Heel alum at that!).

Tip for the future: I'm still not sure about the respective work ethics of Chicago's 3 C's (Chandler, Curry & Crawford) - but watch out for Kirk Hinrich! He was a REAL nice rookie pick-up for the Bulls this year! GOOD, solid player!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 03-06-2004, 10:56 AM   #164
Valandil

Quote:
DePaul is still on the bubble Id say. Those others should make it though.
Just saw some standings yesterday. DePaul maybe IS on the bubble, but they've had some quality wins... and are 19-something (19-7?). I guess some of their fans were holding up signs that spelled out 'BUBBLE' at their last game.

Northwestern I'd say, might have a harder time. If they win their last game, they'll be 9-7 in the Big Ten regular season - good for at least a share of fourth. That would normally get a team in, but I think they'll only be 14-13 overall. I think there's a perception that the Big Ten is down this year, though I don't think it is, so they may need a real strong showing in the conference tournament to make the NCAA's (like winning it maybe, which'll be tough with Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan State).

We'll see... but I'm still hoping at least four from Illinois may get in. Oddly enough, I saw where the state of Indiana may get shut out this year! (oops sorry... I mean ... )

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 03-06-2004, 01:20 PM   #165
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I don't care about college! Not a hoot!

I watched the tape we made of the All Star game last night. That was a wonderful show. I absolutely LOVED Outkast jam playing while the teams were coming out. I got goosebumps when Rick Carlise first ran up to the mellow strains of "I love the way you move"!
The "Mike Love" Beach Boys, the old singer from the Doobs (Micheal whatever his name is) So wonderful, especially after the Superbowl fiasco. The game was great, and Ron Artest's mismatched shoes, silly/cool. I wish the Slam-Dunk contest had been a tad more thrilling, but hey! A Pacer won! Who was the actor from LoTR that was shown briefly, that the silly anouncer kept carrying on about? I missed it, and then they wouldn't show him again....even though the announcer begged!
Old 03-06-2004, 09:32 PM   #166
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
I think there's a perception that the Big Ten is down this year, though I don't think it is, so they may need a real strong showing in the conference tournament to make the NCAA's (like winning it maybe, which'll be tough with Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan State).
Well as far as big ten bubble teams you gotta look at Iowa, Michigan and Purdue. I cant imagine theyll only take three teams from the big ten so one or two of these other teams will go as well. And even though Michigan's record is a little better you gotta like Purdues better record against good teams. Although theyve lost their last three games I think.

Old 03-07-2004, 02:51 AM   #167
Valandil

Quote:
Well as far as big ten bubble teams you gotta look at Iowa, Michigan and Purdue. I cant imagine theyll only take three teams from the big ten so one or two of these other teams will go as well. And even though Michigan's record is a little better you gotta like Purdues better record against good teams. Although theyve lost their last three games I think.
I agree - I don't think only three will go - but it's hard to see Northwestern making it, even if they finish in the top 4-5 within the conference - just because of their overall record (I don't remember who they were playing non-conference). Did Purdue really lose their last three? I know they had to finish against at least two of the top three teams (and maybe all three of them - they had a rough end of schedule). So... maybe Indiana won't get shut out.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 03-07-2004, 10:25 AM   #168
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

PACERS #1

Woo Hoo! ! Pacers #1 again! Squeaked past Sacramento last night. I guess I'll put the Pacer plug back in the sig...so happy! .742......46 wins, 16 losses. Hope they beat the Nuggets today!
Old 03-10-2004, 05:57 PM   #169
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

all I have to say is... ITS TOURNEY TIME AGAIN BABY!!! BRACKET BINGO BONANZA!!! ITS THE BEST TIME OF THE YEAR BABY!!! MARCH MADNESS IS IN THE AIR!!!

*ahem*

So anybody got any predictions so far? Obviously the brackets havent been set yet (not till Sunday) but anybody got any early final 4 possibilities? Im not sure about St. Joes really. They have a GREAT back court. Simply phenomenal. But its so hard to go really deep in the tournament with the pressure of being undefeated in a second class league. They remind me of Massachusets in 96? 97? when they had Marcus Camby and they were number one and lost in the final eight i think. final four? anyway I dont see them going all the way. Havent decided yet who will though.

Old 03-11-2004, 02:58 PM   #170
Valandil

Hey I-Rex... I saw one projection that ONLY HAS the top three from the Big Ten getting in: Illinois, Wisconsin & Michigan State. If that's all - I kind of expect the Big Ten to make a lot of noise in the NIT, but we'll see... you'd think Purdue, Iowa, Michigan and maybe Northwestern (if they can get in - I think they're just under .500!) could do OK there. Upsets (if any) in the Big Ten Tourney might change things a bit.

Meanwhile, one OTHER Illinois team is in for sure. U of I - Chicago has had a pretty good year, and just won the auto berth from their conference tournament. So we might still get them, Illinois, Southern Illinois and DePaul.

The rankings are a little odd this year - there are just so many teams ranked so high that aren't among the 'usual suspects' It WILL be interesting to see how it all plays out - and I wonder if it's just sort of a 'wide-open field' this year.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 03-11-2004, 03:05 PM   #171
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:

Meanwhile, one OTHER Illinois team is in for sure. U of I - Chicago has had a pretty good year, and just won the auto berth from their conference tournament. So we might still get them, Illinois, Southern Illinois and DePaul.
and of course S. Illinois loss in their tournament means they take away one more bubble spot since theres no doubt theyll get an at large and now the conference winner will be there too.

Quote:
The rankings are a little odd this year - there are just so many teams ranked so high that aren't among the 'usual suspects' It WILL be interesting to see how it all plays out - and I wonder if it's just sort of a 'wide-open field' this year.
yeah how about Gonzaga being a super power all year long. Id have to say this is easily their strongest team and STILL nobody is noticing them. They may actually have 3 NBA players on that team (a bit of a reach but possible).

Old 03-11-2004, 04:56 PM   #172
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

woah St. Joes just got creamed by Xavier in their Atlantic Ten tournament opener. massive upset. and no more undefeated teams now. they should still get a number one seed though.

Old 03-14-2004, 08:28 PM   #173
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Well Val looks like the Big Ten got hurt by their apparent weak RPI. Only three teams. And nobody higher then 5 I think. Lot of disapointed Big Ten fans out there this year. Although if you ask me the one team that really should have been in it that didnt get in is Utah State.

Anyway, the teams are picked. Now comes the fun... LET THE OFFICE POOLS BEGIN!

Old 03-15-2004, 10:40 AM   #174
Valandil

Quote:
Well Val looks like the Big Ten got hurt by their apparent weak RPI. Only three teams. And nobody higher then 5 I think. Lot of disapointed Big Ten fans out there this year...
Yeah... and I'm still smarting from Wisconsin's spanking of my Illini! It's crazy though... before this week, the polls still had Wisconsin #10 and Illinois #12 - even though Illinois won the regular season Big Ten, had a better overall record, had one ten straight - and while the teams split their games, Illinois had won the most recent. Couldn't understand it.

So now... Wisconsin just clobbered Illinois yesterday, but Illinois gets a #5 seed in the tourney and Wisconsin only gets a #6! I think Wisconsin definitely proved they deserved a higher seed.

Well... I can only hope the 3 Big Ten teams that made it in will make a lot of noise there. It might be better that they're each a 5, 6 & 7 (Michigan State)... if top seeds advance, they'll all be the underdog in the second round, and might need that to keep them sharp. Illinois, anyway, has a history of not playing well in the second round against lower seeds - and getting knocked out.

We'll see how it goes... Go Big Ten!

(Oh - and the state DID get 4... we've got UI-Chicago, DePaul and Southern Illinois in addition to Illinois!)

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 03-16-2004, 10:32 PM   #175
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

EVERYONE IN THE POOL!

come on in the waters fine. Figured I would extend this to my mooter friends as well since some of you (one or two of you) are interested in the NCAA Tournament and who doesnt like a good pool.

http://www.mysideline.com/u/197/ncaa...amententry.htm

see how you do.

Old 03-19-2004, 06:42 PM   #176
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quick flash.... back to NBA...... Good game tonight at Conseco Fieldhouse! Pacers play Sacremento. The bad news is Ron Artest won't be playing ...the good news is my son and hubby will be there watching!
THEN.....next Tuesday, my son is going to a "Ron Artest" bball camp, (at Conseco again) for 6-10 year olds. I get to go and watch! Woo! I can't wait! Pacers were the first to get 50 wins! Go Pacers!!

Ok...now back to the regularly scheduled college program....
Old 03-19-2004, 06:44 PM   #177
Valandil

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Quick flash.... back to NBA...... Good game tonight at Conseco Fieldhouse! Pacers play Sacremento. The bad news is Ron Artest won't be playing ...the good news is my son and hubby will be there watching!
THEN.....next Tuesday, my son is going to a "Ron Artest" bball camp, (at Conseco again) for 6-10 year olds. I get to go and watch! Woo! I can't wait! Pacers were the first to get 50 wins! Go Pacers!!

Ok...now back to the regularly scheduled college program....
Will the Ron Artest Camp include instruction in 'NBA etiquette'?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 03-19-2004, 06:47 PM   #178
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Hey! The Manimal's changed his ways! It does include 4 tickets to the Miami game!
Old 03-21-2004, 08:15 PM   #179
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

wow.... UAB over Kentucky! wow....

there goes my brackets. Who would have ever guessed...

Old 03-22-2004, 11:58 AM   #180
Valandil

When I looked over the pairings for the 'Sweet Sixteen' games coming up later this week, I noticed something interesting:

Each game has a team from 'the South'... that's if we include Texas and Oklahoma State, but that's not a real stretch (though I would not consider Arizona or New Mexico southern states... they're definitely southwest!)

I prefer the regions being named after a geographic area than after a city... like when they did: Eastern, Southern, Midwestern, Western regions... can't keep track so well now... I know there's an 'East Rutherford Region'... what are the others??

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court