Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-12-2004, 05:09 PM   #21
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Here's the last of chapter three

Here's the last part of chapter three, just to take things to their "conclusion" (at least as far as the chapter goes...)

Enjoy and have a nice weekend!

The sound of footsteps stopped by the door. “I still think we should move soon. The quicker we attack, the less likely we are to meet full-scale resistance.” The door opened, admitting two pairs of fine boots. “I tried to make the point to the Major, but he won’t listen. I’m merely a captain from a merchant family. He is a major from a noble family. If a noble had made the same suggestion, he’d go in an instant.”

The boots sat down on the bench at the table Pippin and Amaris were huddled beneath. Both lay motionless, not daring to breathe.

“Plus, you face another disadvantage.” The second officer spoke. “You are from the northern lands. Lands that are not part of the Alliance. He doesn’t trust you. If you are a traitor to your own people, what is to say that you will be loyal to the Dark Lord?”

The first officer spat. “I owe Esgaroth nothing! I was cast out by the word of a child! A very precocious, evil child.” He slammed his flagon down on the table, causing Pippin to jump and nearly cry out. But Amaris began curling up on her side, eyes wide and distant.

“Damnation! It smells like filth in here again.” The second officer sniffed. “Every time those stinking orcs work the forge, the drains back up. Let’s go out for some fresher air!” He stood up again and went to the door, the other man following closely. The door slammed behind them.

Pippin exhaled. “Whew! That was too close for my liking.” Amaris still lay, stiff and unmoving, staring into space. “Amaris? Are you all right?” He touched her elbow gently.

She sat up, pulling out her dagger. “Don’t you touch me!” she hissed. “Don’t you dare touch me!” She pointed the knife at him. “I will kill you if you try, you maggot! Get away from me, Gath!”

Pippin scrambled from beneath the table. “Amaris, what’s the matter? I’m not going to hurt you!” She stared wildly at him, with no spark of recognition in her eyes. “Amaris! It’s me. It’s Pippin! Are you all right?”

The young woman blinked and took several deep breaths. She looked at Pippin and gasped. The dagger clattered to the floor. “I’m sorry!” She brought her hands up to her face. “Oh, I’m so very sorry!” She collapsed to the floor in silent sobs.

The hobbit was at a complete loss. What should he do? Finally, he knelt down beside her.
“It’s all right, Amaris,” he whispered. “It’s going to be all right. I won’t let anyone hurt you.” He tentatively touched her shoulder. “I’ll help you in any way I can.” He stroked her hair as if she were a child recovering from a bad dream.

She reached up and touched his hand, then closed her own around it. She looked at him through tears, then sat up slowly. She put her arms around him and they clung to each other.

She finally stopped crying and pulled away, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand. “Thank you, Pippin. I’ll be all right now.”

He nodded and attempted an encouraging smile. She had seemed so confident up to this point. So bright and courageous. He had a hundred questions tumbling around in his mind, all needing to be asked, but he kept silent as a different thought came to him – the truth of Gandalf’s words to him in Minas Tirith, just after he had met her:

“My dear boy . . I have seen that look before. You lost your heart to her the moment you laid eyes on her.”

‘And now what, Peregrin Took?’ he asked himself. ‘Now what?’

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 05:40 PM   #22
Beruthiel's cat

For those of you wondering if a "gal could go for a hobbit guy..." (and you know who you are...) I see Pippin as a very, sweet, sensitive soul...albeit a short one You ladies out there need no further explanation...!

~~~~~~~~~

"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 03-18-2004, 11:57 AM   #23
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Oh, certainly not far-fetched at all. If it hadn't been for that Long Cleave jewel, I wouldn't have minded taking her place . But, then, I wouldn't like to live with a constant crick in the neck from dwelling in a hobbit-sized hobbit hole.

Very good so far. Not trying to be nit-picky or anything, but just one thing jumped out at me- a few posts ago when Amaris hand's Pip the oil-cloth sack, and you said he 'tucked it under his chest'. I know what you meant, but 'under'? 'Under his chest' doesn't sound exactly logical. Try 'against his chest', or 'under his shirt'. Would sound better, I think. Again, sorry about being so nit-picky. Very cool though, can't wait for more!!
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 01:14 PM   #24
Beruthiel's cat

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosie Gamgee
Oh, certainly not far-fetched at all. If it hadn't been for that Long Cleave jewel, I wouldn't have minded taking her place . But, then, I wouldn't like to live with a constant crick in the neck from dwelling in a hobbit-sized hobbit hole.

Very good so far. Not trying to be nit-picky or anything, but just one thing jumped out at me- a few posts ago when Amaris hand's Pip the oil-cloth sack, and you said he 'tucked it under his chest'. I know what you meant, but 'under'? 'Under his chest' doesn't sound exactly logical. Try 'against his chest', or 'under his shirt'. Would sound better, I think. Again, sorry about being so nit-picky. Very cool though, can't wait for more!!
Oh, that Diamond girl!! I understand what you mean completely, Rosie!!

As far as the oil-cloth bag, I thought it was a given that Pip was lying face-down on the log. Since I've decided to do some minor revisions on what I've already written, I'll bear that in mind when I get to that part. Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~