Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-01-2003, 09:58 AM   #1
Soothand
Sapling

Does anyone here play LARP games?

And by that I mean fantasy, tolkienesque style games.
We have a fair sized troupe here in Winnipeg that play a game called Havok! (by Seventh Moon Publishing).
It's a very good game but not well known in the LARP community.
I've been to a NERO game (to my shame and regret).
I've also been to the Gathering in England where we played on the Dragons faction with the Tuatha de Dannan. Great guys and a great experience! Many of them though we were crazy coming all the way to England from Canada to play in a weekend larp. But they took us in with open arms and made us feel right at home.
So, like the subject line says, anyone else?
Soothand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 10:24 AM   #2
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Huh? I do Rpg's but I am not sure quite what you mean
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 10:42 AM   #3
Soothand
Sapling

A larp is a Live Action Role Playing game.
You wear armor and costumes and use swords. It's usually a fairly linear game but we've had them where it's been a case of "you're looking for thing X and a group of Orcs are doing the same. Don't let them see you or kill you or get the thing before you do"
It can get very intense. Far more so than in a sit down game because you're crouched next to a tree, trying to save a friend from being chopped up and cooked on a spit by a gang of ogres that's been terrorizing a nearby hamlet.
Check this link and look at the photos section,
http://ca.geocities.com/havok_worldofvaithan/
Let me know if you still have questions.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:23 AM   #4
Nilore
Elven Warrior

Location: I am every where and I am no where, I am everyone and I am no-one! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Do you mean People that dress up at castles etc and show weaving and weapons and stuff they did in medieval times?

Raise the Phial of Galadriel and let the Star Glass of Lothlorian cast out the Darkness of Shelob's Lair.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Naur an edraith ammen! Naur dan i ngaurholth!

There was a roar and a crackle, and the tree above him burst into a leaf and bloom of blinding flame. The whole hill was crowned with a dazzling light!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bhûl latu dûmp

Accept Your DOOM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DIE MERE MORTALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh NO I AM A MERE MORTAL

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Stop the NUKE Stop the NUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nilore writes last will and testament.

Gets on knees

And begs God for Mercy.

Realizes He's already dead

Flies up to heaven ( By the power of Red Bull) and lives happily ever after. THE END

( It's a MINI adventure)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nilore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 12:32 PM   #5
Soothand
Sapling

Nilore,
no not at all. Your thinking of historical re-enactors.
Hmm how to explain it?
It's a roleplaying game where you actually wear the costume of your character. You want to play an elf? No problem. There are rules for character creation and for pretty much anything else.
You construct a sword and any armor you want (or are allowed to have) and then the adventure begins.
It's a really fun way to spend a day or even a weekend.
Amazon has the book for sale here;
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

check this one for the homepage of our group here in Winnipeg. go to the photos section and look around.
http://ca.geocities.com/havok_worldofvaithan/

Any more questions? Just ask.
Old 01-01-2003, 02:41 PM   #6
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Nilore!! You stole Zavrons avatar!!

Now I'll get confused with who is who

I always do that when people have the same avatar
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 08:20 AM   #7
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Moving to entertainment forum.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:08 AM   #8
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

me! i do!

well, haven't for a long time, and only did briefly over the summer. . .meh. anyway, there's one game that's been going on for ages down at the park near my house, once a week, called Games of Adventure. It's brilliant fun, and we play in a huge ravine, so there's steep hills and a creek and other good terrain to play on. I play an elven warrior, who currently is sadly lacking in background and actual character, but that's because I've only been to two games where I've actually played my character. Anyway, here's the website for the game.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 10:55 AM   #9
Soothand
Sapling

It's a great time that's for sure. I don't know what I like best, the playing or making the armor and swords!
Does your system use weapons or another system for combat resolution? I heard of one that uses two 6-sided dice in a clear plastic box for combat.
Ours is the live combat system. We hold fight practices every sunday so that new people won't be so overwhelmed when the game day comes. Even with some walk-on players, they seem to have a good time (despite the dying...)
Old 01-06-2003, 03:48 PM   #10
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Weapons It's all about the pvc, foam and duct tape. . .*grin*

I think my favorite part of the game is the combat. . .I love playing D&D, but sometimes I wish I could actually be swinging a sword. . .

We play on Sundays and have practice after game. Fun! Last time I was there someone was trying to teach me to use a shield. . .I wasn't very good at it

I've sort of kept in practice despite being away because there's a boffing group at my college

I went to a larp game once that's based on a bunch of White Wolf games, and they used rock, paper, scissors for combat resolution, as weapons were generally more along the lines of guns and so on. . .

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote