Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #1
Halbarahîr
Sapling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matoro View Post
The tragedy of Húrin was completed when he finally submitted to Morgoth by killing himself. In the end nobody could defy Morgoth's will.
I'm not so sure about this, in the past I always baulked over Húrins suicide and refused to believe that such a steadfast hero could deserve an ending as pitiless and tragic that seemingly delivers yet another victory for Morgoth over him. However after my most recent reading of the Silm. I have come to believe that Húrins suicide could be seen as a final direct act of defiance against Morgoth and a return of his faith in the Valar. When Morgoth says to him during his torturous imprisonment “…beyond the Circles of the World there is Nothing.” It is surely an attempt to make Húrin fear death and not accept it as Ilúvatars Gift to Men - Men fearing death being an ongoing theme that leads to evil throughout the Legendarium. Thus by ending his own life on his own terms, although sad, Húrin both defies Morgoths bleak statement and also reaffirms his own faith in the Valar, his choice of place to commit this act – the Westernmost shores of Beleriand, as near to Valinor as physically possible – also seems significant.
Halbarahîr is offline   Reply With Quote