Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

Ability to Communicate with The One Ring

[EDIT: Discussion split off from the thread Hunt for the Ring at members' request - Eärniel]

I wasn't sure whether this thread, the "Why drop Merry" thread, or a new thread was more appropriate for this observation/question/hypothesis but here it is at any rate. I'll be happy to move it or have it moved as necessary.

I was reading/listening to the Prancing Pony chapter last evening and noticed that not once but twice it is mentioned that Frodo's impulse to put on the ring seemed to come from "in the room":
Quote:
He felt the Ring on its chain, and quite unaccountably the desire came over him to slip it on and vanish out of the silly situation. It seemed to him, somehow, as if me suggestion came to him from outside, from someone or something in the room.
and
Quote:
For a moment he wondered if the Ring itself had not played him a trick; perhaps it had tried to reveal itself in response to some wish or command that was felt in the room.
I've seen it hypothesized that one of the Nazgul was nearby, outside of the Inn, making this happen. I guess my observation/question at the moment is: why would he have to be outside? He's invisible with his cloak off. Couldn't he have been right there in the common room unseen? Wouldn't that better fit the narrative that the command seemed to be from "in the room?" I realize that both "in the room" quotes are a character's perception/perspective, but for the author to mention it twice seems to indicate authorial agreement. Comment?