Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-12-2003, 11:21 AM   #1
Akamai Deredal
Elven Warrior

Location: Beyond conscious thought... and always out of reach
Story: Out of the Shadows [a work in progress]

I figured this would be a good place to get opinions on something I'm currently writing, and possibly some advice on how to fix it and make it more interesting. I just need someone to read a few pieces here and there, if that's all they have time for, and tell me what they think of it. It's still a rough draft of course, so there's a lot of mistakes that I haven't fixed yet... So I guess I'll post a couple paragraphs if anyone really wants to read it. (To the moderator[s]: Is this the right Forum to put this in, or do I need to go somewhere else? -_- So difficult for me to navigate around the Forums... Oh well!)

Potius mori quam foedari...
Death before dishonour...
Akamai Deredal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 11:26 AM   #2
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

There's a Writer's Workshop forum here, you should try your luck there.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:28 AM   #3
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

here hun http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/foru...?s=&forumid=19

but you probably dont have to do anything. they will move this thread there eventually.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 11:28 AM   #4
Akamai Deredal
Elven Warrior

Thank you for the help, Artanis. At least I didn't get yelled at... yet. Maybe I'll get a response there.

<Anyone who sees this thread and actually wants to read what I've written, I'll be in the writers workshop. lol>

Old 10-12-2003, 11:31 AM   #5
Akamai Deredal
Elven Warrior

Story: Out of the Shadows [A work in progress]

I figured this would be a good place to get opinions on something I'm currently writing (many thanks to Artanis for directing me to the right Forum this time! hehe), and possibly some advice on how to fix it and make it more interesting. I just need someone to read a few pieces here and there, if that's all they have time for, and tell me what they think of it. It's still a rough draft of course, so there's a lot of mistakes that I haven't fixed yet... So I guess I'll post a couple paragraphs if anyone really wants to read it.

(Yes yes, i know, I already said that in the last thread I tried to set up... but hey, I don't want people to get... confused. Maybe it's for me really, but oh well, it works.)

Old 10-12-2003, 11:34 AM   #6
Akamai Deredal
Elven Warrior

Oh wow, I think I just buggered things up quite nicely. I didn't think they'd move it THAT fast. Now there's two threads of the same thing... I've managed to muddle things up yet again. *sheepish grin* Ignore this wonderful thread and just go onto the other one... *shakes her head and walks off muttering to herself* Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Old 10-12-2003, 12:25 PM   #7
Akamai Deredal
Elven Warrior

All righty, I'm just gonna put in the first couple paragraphs so you lot have something to read. (Please, be somewhat gentle in your criticism. I can handle it, I'm sure, but this is one of my first stories I've ever shown anyone... lol)

One

The moon sat cradled in the arms of the great oaks, spilling its silvery light upon the forest floor. A horse’s hooves made a muffled sound, barely noticeable amidst the creaking of the massive boughs. Once whispering voices now became frantic in their urgency to escape the shadows of the forest. One by one, running forms ran under the canopy of the trees, and one by one they were pulled down, screaming, by some unseen hunter. Rune crouched in the crook of one of the branches, carefully steadying himself as he watched, not wanting to attract the attention of the hunters. Not just yet.

~~~

The lynethe race had long ago made the forest of Amahdy their home, and now they were being run from it with barely any effort at all. Lynethe were a race of their own, as pure and as old as the elves themselves. In truth, the lynethe were practically half-elves, though unlike them, they were pure of blood. No one ever knew where they had come from, but there were records of them since the beginning of time. Close brethren to the elven kind, they were adapt in many skills. Swift of foot and hand, they were known to be as graceful as the elves were, and as skilled with weapons as the elves as well. Though, few ever took up the bow. None of that mattered now… They were being as killed as easily as babes, as they ran through the lands of their old homes, among the smoldering ruins, and the mounds of bodies, both family and friend.

Rune watched the carnage from above, catching glimpses of a shadow in the middle of a patch of light. "So it was the nirav who decided to rid the world of our fair woodland creatures." He murmured softly to himself, slowly sliding his blade out of its sheath. Glancing around once more he made note of the areas where there were no nirav. His shadow shrouded form dropped down from the branch and landed with hardly a sound. He would not spill any blood unless he had to, he just meant to find the survivors and get them out of there safely. I hate wanting to be the hero… This needs to stop. He trotted off to where most of the screams were originating from. The ones the had fled would already have been slain.

Most of the lynethe had already fled, as was expected, though, as Rune soon discovered, a small number had stayed. Unfortunately, the number kept growing smaller and smaller by the minute. When Rune finally reached the group, only three or four remained. Two of them being young women, the other two a somewhat older man, and a young man not much younger than Rune himself. The man was hacking at the moving shadows relentlessly in an attempt to save the boy. Rune hesitated for a mere second and time suddenly seemed to stretch out as he watched, horrified. A nirav crept up behind the young man and latched onto his shoulder with its fangs, dragging him away from the group. In an instant, time was back to speed, and Rune lunged at the creature with a bellow. His sword caught it in the midriff, instantly drenching the ground in its foul blood.

The creature released the young man from its grip as it screeched and threw itself at its attacker. It was the last move it made, before being skewered on the end of Rune’s sword. Ripping the blade from the body, Rune stooped and hoisted the man up. He’d lost consciousness soon after being bitten, the nirav’s venomous fangs temporarily paralyzing his body. Striding over to the last three remaining lynethe, Rune thrust the man into the arms of one of the women and set about clearing a way for them. "Follow me." Was the only thing he said to them as he slowly disappeared into the darkness. His muscles relaxed slightly as he realized they had followed him.

Old 10-13-2003, 06:43 AM   #8
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Akamai Deredal
Oh wow, I think I just buggered things up quite nicely. I didn't think they'd move it THAT fast. Now there's two threads of the same thing... I've managed to muddle things up yet again. *sheepish grin* Ignore this wonderful thread and just go onto the other one... *shakes her head and walks off muttering to herself* Stupid, stupid, stupid...
Don't worry, Akamai. I've merged both threads into this one.
Old 11-01-2003, 02:37 PM   #9
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

uttery wonderful akai! thats my little buddy! I am very interested i what happes next! post! post! teehee! Keep up the good work!

If I can stop one heart from aching, I shall not live in vain. -Emily Dickinson

But the Master comes, and the foolish crowd
Never can quite understand
The worth of a soul and the change that is wrought
By the touch of the Master's hand.

Though she be but little, she is fierce! -MSND
PippinTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 07:33 PM   #10
Akamai Deredal
Elven Warrior

As they traveled, the attacks from their pursuers grew less and less frequent until they ceased completely. "There’s a woman who lives here, she’ll heal the lot of you. Come on it’s not much further." Rune said, trying to encourage them, but one of the women shook her head. "She was killed… she came to help as soon as she got word we’d been attacked previously… This attack was first aimed at the wounded, and their caretakers. I was there… I saw her." Her voice was as hard as steel, and held little warmth in it. A cheveyo, one of their seasoned warriors.
"Then little good she’ll do us." Rune said, shrugging.
"Tell me, Marked One, what brought you to our aid?" The cheveyo asked.
"My own stupidity." He had forgotten how well they lynethe saw, even in the dark. He hadn’t expected her to see the mark under his left eye.

The other man had taken the young boy and was now watching Rune. He couldn’t have been too much older than Rune, but he was certainly no younger. "Here… clean your weapons off with this, before the blood etches the blade." Rune muttered, handing the cheveyo a cloth. Taking it from him, she brought the blade of her weapon in front of her face. Blinking, Rune studied the massive blade in surprise. He’d never seen a scythe blade that monstrous in size. The staff it was mounted on had to have been at least three inches in diameter. The staff alone was unbelievable. Giving it a closer look, he realized it was carved entirely from bone.

"Kacela, thyn vie lia relyn dias Nishan…" Came the soft voice of the other girl, who had leaned nearer to the cheveyo.
Rune knew only one word that she had spoken; Nishan was lynethe for ‘Marked One.’ "What’d she say?"
"She said she does not trust you. But don’t take offense. Akai no longer trusts anyone. Ever since she began speaking the Old Voice, she’s barely spoken to anyone."
"Does she not trust her family then? What would make her suspicious of her own kin?"
The cheveyo hugged the girl closer to her comfortingly, "She has no family to trust in, Nishan."

The boy that had been attacked groaned as he woke up, and the man holding him up laid him on the ground. The cheveyo stood, handing her weapon to Akai. "Let me tend to Tuari, Kiros. Clean your blade, and then we’ll go." Rune froze. "Kiros?" The man looked up at the other from his kneeling position. "That would be my name. Why do you ask?"
Rune dropped down to one knee, his right hand over his heart, his left extended palm upward to Kiros. "I didn’t realize it was you, good King. I’m sorry I did not assist sooner."
Kiros rose to his feet, and motioned for Rune to do the same. "Name, soldier."
"Rune Imaran. I fought beside you at the end of the Border Lands."
"Rune! I’m sorry you had to see my race in such troubled times. All the same, it is good to see you, old friend." Kiros said, embracing Rune and laughing.

~~~

Old 11-01-2003, 07:37 PM   #11
Akamai Deredal
Elven Warrior

Dawn found the group outside the forest, tattered and exhausted from the night long run. After Kiros had introduced Rune to Kacela, and Tuari, they had all been eager to leave the darkness of the trees. Kacela, the cheveyo, and Akai had taken turns bearing the Tuari’s arm over their shoulders until dawn’s first light had reached them. Rune now carried the boy, his gait as tireless as the others. But they had done an entire day and half a night of fighting. Letting them rest beside one of the many small streams leading into the forest, he went ahead and searched the surrounding area.

"Akai, will you please eat something?" Kacela asked kindly, handing the girl a small package of food. "Please? I won’t have you die of starvation… I promised your mother I’d take care of you."
"Leave her be, Kacela… She won’t eat unless she wants to. You know that as well as I do."

Kacela shot Kiros a dirty look, but sighed and started to put the food away. She grunted as Akai reached for it and gingerly slipped it out of her hands. The girl looked up at her with her pale gray eyes as she tore a chunk of bread into pieces and nearly crawled over to Tuari. Resting the boy’s head on her legs, Akai fed the boy, and gave him water. Tuari smiled up at her, his muscles still weak from the poison, and murmured a quiet thank you in Old Voice. Akai paused for a moment, then returned the smile and ruffled the man’s hair the way she would a child‘s.

"Well, would you look at that… Never saw that coming." Kiros murmured under his breath, making Akai look up at him.
"Neither of us were making an effort to feed him, Kiros." Kacela whispered as the other girl lowered her head.

Kiros put his arm around the cheveyo, pulling her close against him. Kacela smiled slightly, and rested her head on his shoulder. The two had grown up together, but since the time Kiros had been named heir to the crown, they had to hide how they felt towards each other. Once childhood friends, they had grown to love each other, true enough, but Kacela was no queen. Nor would she want to be. "They’ve all gone to join our ancestors, haven’t they, Kiros?" She murmured, tears coming unbidden to her eyes. He sighed and tightened his hold on her. "Yes, Kacela. We are the last of our once fine people."

A quite sobbing made Kiros raise his head. Akai was crying, holding Tuari tightly. The boy hugged her and whispered something in her ear. Her hand gripped his blood soaked shirt and her sobbing stilled somewhat. "It’ll be all right, little sister. We’re still alive, and that’s what matters right now." Tuari said, running his hand over the back of her head, his fingers going through her straight black hair. Akai murmured something in the young man’s ear, and he smiled. "Then go. Go run and we shall follow soon after." Rising, she patted his hand and smiled down at him, before walking past Kiros and Kacela. As soon as she was past them her steps grew quicker until she was running across the plains. Tuari stared after her, a small glint of longing in his eyes.

"Where’s she going, boy?" Kiros snapped, standing up and turning to start after the girl.
"She just wants to run, sir. She wanted to leave this place and her sorrow behind her. Let her be free for just a few short hours… She promised she would return to us."
Kiros watched the girl’s retreating form and shook his head. "I don’t think I’ll ever understand her. But at least she trusts you… Keep an eye on her when you can, Tuari. I can’t afford to lose her as well."

~~~

Old 11-01-2003, 07:39 PM   #12
Akamai Deredal
Elven Warrior

Rune yelled as Akai lunged at him, her blade drawn. He toppled over as she crashed into him, eager to let the steel of her weapon bite his flesh. "I saw you watching! You sat and watched us as they killed everyone! I hate you!" She broke down sobbing, letting her knife fall from her hand. Her balled fists beat against his chest until he grabbed her by the wrists and held her still. "You watched us die!" She wailed, the tears streaming down her blood soaked face.
"Yes, I watched your people die… but only because I wasn’t sure of what I could do. I wanted to help, Akai. I did."
Her tear filled eyes stared at him, full of hatred. "You wanted nothing but to save yourself."
"I saved you… didn’t I? And Kacela and your King."
"Had it just been me, you wouldn’t have done anything. What’s one lynethe to you? Nothing!"
"Then what’s four of them? Four times the nothing? Besides, how are you to know I would not save you, had you been by yourself?"
"Because one is not worth your time."
"And four is not much more to waste my time on. But I did. And I’m taking you lot home with me to make sure you’re taken care of. Since no one else will do so."
"The reason we were attacked in the first place is because all the races slowly turned against us. The last of which the human… and you are human, Nishan. So are your family members. Will they too shun us as every other race? We fit in no where."
"They won’t shun you! What would make you think that, Akai?"
"We don’t fit in with the humans, because we look and move too much like the elves, and we do not fit in with the elves, because we think and react too much like men. We fit in no where, Nishan. The people of your home will surely close their doors to us."
"You are a foolish girl, Akai. We too have been shunned by many races… Maybe not by all, but by most. They’ll take you in, and let you live there. They do with every outcast. It is our way of getting back at the world…" Rune said gently, releasing her wrists.
Akai tilted her head to the side, then smiled faintly. "When do we get there?"
"By nightfall today."
"Hm… all right. I’ll give you a chance, you’re not so bad, Nishan."

Rune watched her with a small smirk as she ran ahead of him back to where the others still sat. The girl needed a name to suit her attitude, for when they reached the home of the Nishan. Rune already knew what he would call her; Tovi. Rune had grown up with his name, so he could recall no other, but for them it would be harder. Harder to leave everything else behind them, and to start over. Kiros would no longer be king, and Kacela would no longer be cheveyo in Jericho. He could not decide their fates for them, the council would do that. But he could hope things went well…
~~~

Old 11-01-2003, 07:42 PM   #13
Akamai Deredal
Elven Warrior

By the time they reached the doors of Jericho, Tuari was able to run on his own, the poison having disappeared in his blood stream. Lynethe were much like the elves that way, immortal. Though they could die in battle, or of a broken heart. But something made it hard to kill them by means of poison or other such ways. Or at least that was what Rune understood. They recovered too quickly for the poison to take a deadly hold on their body. Four small gasps were heard, and Rune grinned. The city of Jericho glowed eerily in the moonlight, guiding them.

"Halt! State your name and reason of travel!" Yelled a stout commanding voice, making the small group stop.
"Rune Imaran, sir! I’ve just returned from the Amahdy forest."
"And what was your business there, Rune?"
"To speak with the people that dwell inside the forest, sir!"
"Was your mission successful?"
Rune felt his mouth freeze shut. No one here knew of the wars inside the forest.
"Is something wrong, Rune?"
"No sir… The mission failed. The lynethe were under attack when I reached the borders of their land."
"How many were killed?"
"It’d be easier to count how many have survived… sir."
"What do you mean? The lynethe have always prospered in everything they do. Surely the death toll could not be so high as to out number the living."

The guardsman dropped down in front of them, his only weapon a staff. His blonde hair reflected some of the glow of Jericho. He smiled slightly at Rune, hugging him as he drew closer. He looked at the people accompanying his friend and raised one eyebrow. "I recognize the features of the lynethe, but why bring them here when their land is at war, Rune? Aren’t they needed else where?" The cringes that crossed their faces went unnoticed to him.
"No, Slade… These are the survivors of the attack. The war is over."
"You’re not serious, Rune… Please tell me there are more you haven’t found. More that are coming in a few days time… These can’t be all."
"They’re all that’s left. Run and tell the council I wish to meet with them. I know they’re up at this hour. Go Slade. And tell someone to bring healers. One sports a nirav bite and there are many wounds among them. Go!"
The blonde haired young man pushed the gate open and lead them inside, before taking off down the cobbled street. Kiros gave the gate a rough push, letting it swing into place with a massive creak. The five of them lit down the street after Slade, hearing the toll of a great brazen bell.

~~~

Old 11-01-2003, 07:44 PM   #14
Akamai Deredal
Elven Warrior

In what must have been the town’s center a small group of people had already congregated. Most of them were human, though there were some elven faces mixed in, as well as a few dwarves. Rune heard a snarl rip through Akai’s throat and it was all he could do to hold her back from one of the members. A nirav stood not more than a pace away from them, and turned to see where the horrifying sound had come from. The creature was midnight black with one dark blue eye, and one dark red eye. It walked over to them, and its features reminded Akai of a dog, tail, ears and all. It seemed to be a mix of a human and a dog, maybe a fox of some sort.
"Rune… why do these people with you stare at me like they want me dead?" The creature asked, rising onto its back legs and tilting it’s head to the side as it spoke.
"It’s not you they want dead, Zev. It’s your race."
"Why? What have those power hungry fools done now?"
Akai was nearly howling with rage as she answered for Rune, "They killed everyone!"
Zev looked at Rune in confusion, "What does she mean?"
"She means that we are the last of our people, because the nirav attacked us." Kiros said flatly.
Zev’s ears lowered and fell back onto his forelegs. "I did not know, good sir. Please do not hold me responsible for anything my race may have done. I never meant any harm towards the lynethe."
"We don’t, but our young friends do not think as openly as we do yet. Though we shall do our best to fix that so that you are safe behind these walls." Kacela said, inclining her head.

Zev’s tail wagged slightly and he pranced around a bit. "Where are you headed, friends?" He said, a small bark added at the end of the sentence. Kacela smiled slightly as Rune let Akai down. "To the council room. These four have yet to be admitted. Care to join?" Rune asked, keeping an eye on Akai. "If the rest in your company do not mind." He mainly looked at Tuari and Akai as he spoke. Tuari nodded, if hesitantly, but Akai simply stared at him for a moment. The silence became tense until she walked up to him and knelt in front of him. Her gray eyes stared curiously into Zev’s red and blue. "They killed everyone I knew, Zev… and one nearly took Tuari’s life from him. They did it. Not you. You are free to join if you wish."

Akai straightened up and followed Rune up the winding road, with Zev trotting lightly beside her, and the others trailing somewhat behind, their whispers of curiosity only dull hisses in even Akai’s ears. Zev’s furry head looked up at her, his red and blue eyes blinking once or twice. "You should not be nervous, little lynethe. The council will treat you kindly."
"I’m not nervous, master Zev."
"Hmph. I can smell it on you, missy. Don’t try and hide it. You may have better eyesight than most here, but I’ve got a better nose." Zev said, chuckling.
"Don’t call me ‘missy’ Zev. You’re not much older than I am."
"Then don’t call me ‘master Zev.’ I hate the name enough as it is."
"You shouldn’t. It suits you well."
"I’ve never been much at deciphering tongues, and no one’s bothered to tell me what it means."
"Wolf."
"Oh… right then. Thank you…"

Akai muttered something before her eyes fell on the Council Hall. Not even in her old home had she laid eyes on such a grand building. A triad of silver, bronze, and gold gilded vines swirled across the heavy oaken doors, which were slowly pushed open. The already airy room suddenly seemed closed in as the doors were pulled back to reveal the high vaulted cathedral ceiling. Posts rose from the different corners of the decagon shaped room arching to the ceiling, inlays of silver trailed up the thick studs. The ceiling was a medley of pictures and sculptures that would take ones breath away. The middle of the room was open; the pinpoint of light that flowed through the high stain-glass windows. Circling around this center were rows of chairs. Chairs as finely crafted as any found in an elven city but with the simple practicalities of comfort put in as well.

Once one's eyes had drifted from the higher ordainments one might note the tasking engraving caved into the floor. The swirl of vines, seeming to have flowed off the doors and twined across the floor, faint though it was silver into white stone. Spiral staircases lined the edge of the room in intervals, leading up to another beautiful room through small gaps in the painted ceiling. The furniture around the room was beautifully hand carved, which Kiros noticed as he ran a hand along the arm of particular high-backed seat. He smiled. Not even a palace in the Amahdy forest was so lavishly constructed. But it did make him feel at home.

Old 11-01-2003, 07:48 PM   #15
Akamai Deredal
Elven Warrior

Rune sighed and glanced sidelong at the door. "I wish Slade would hurry up with the healers… It’s not wise to keep the council waiting when you’ve summoned them."
Zev sniffed the air and shook his head, one of his ears flopping of as he did so. "He won’t be here for some time, Rune. You’d be best to take them up as they are. Perhaps it will give the council incentive…"
"As they are, Zev? They’re like the walking dead, look at them! They need medical attention now, and preferably before the council… But if what you say is true…" He sighed and beckoned to the others. "Come on, follow me. We’ll be out of here soon enough so you all can get cleaned up afterwards."

Akai stared at her friends as they went up the stairs, wearing a small frown on her face. "Something wrong, Akai?" Zev asked, watching her with his head tilted to the side. She shook her head and let out a small sigh before following their course upstairs. Zev went up one of the side stairwells, rather than the spiral staircase; they were much easier to climb.

Glaring at the doormen, Akai and Zev just barely made it inside with the others. The oaken double doors swung shut behind them as they skidded around the corner. There, Akai nearly bowled Rune over as he came to find her and Zev.
"There you two are! What took you so long?"
"We weren’t that far behind you, Rune… You haven’t been here long." Zev said, gesturing with a paw as he straightened up.

Akai’s mouth hung open slightly as she stared at Zev. He’d never stood up straight around her, so she’d never seen him at full height. Nirav rarely stood that way, even around their own race; it left them too vulnerable. Now Akai only came to his chest, or his shoulders really. Rune laughed as Zev pushed her gently in the direction of Tuari, Kiros and Kacela. Zev then veered off to the right, into a side corridor, his going unnoticed by the others.

The group stopped in front of yet another set of double doors, inlaid with both gold and silver. A few minutes later, Rune reached to open them, and they swung backwards, giving them admittance. The room was plain, but held some sense of importance. Maybe it was because of the five people sitting behind a panel. Three men; a veiled nirav, a dwarf and a human. And two women; a blue skinned kostya, and an elven maiden.

Akai glanced around to find Zev had disappeared. Turning to Rune, she opened her mouth, but **** it when he raised his hand. Inclining his head towards the panel, he murmured, "He’s a council member, Akai. He’ll be sure to take care of you and your friends." Taking her by the arm, Rune led her to the front of the room, where Kiros, Kacela and Tuari already stood.

Old 11-01-2003, 07:52 PM   #16
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

Thats great akai! Keep up the great work! Lets see what happens next! *sits on edge of seat*

If I can stop one heart from aching, I shall not live in vain. -Emily Dickinson

But the Master comes, and the foolish crowd
Never can quite understand
The worth of a soul and the change that is wrought
By the touch of the Master's hand.

Though she be but little, she is fierce! -MSND
PippinTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 08:17 PM   #17
Akamai Deredal
Elven Warrior

Chapter Two (no current name, lol)

"Rune Imaran, normally we would demand from you why on earth you would call a meeting at this hour, but Zev has already brought us the ill news. Are these the survivors?" The man, Sanjiv, called out, his voice as deep as a bass drum, and about as kind.
"Yes, sir. These are the only survivors of the lynethe race. There are no others."
"Four left. This is a sad day…" Murmured the elven woman, her crystal blue eyes shining with sympathy.
"Rune, what do you want us to do for these poor souls? We cannot take back time." The kostya said, her voice no warmer than the bare fireplaces on either side of the room.
"They have no more kin left, Vatusia. They need a home to live in, people to be around."
"Are you suggesting making them Nishan?" The dwarf rumbled.
"That’s precisely what I mean, Ezhno. They were exiled to the Amahdy, they are not so different than us. You cannot deny them! They have no where else to go! They’ll perish. Please…"
"Hm, Rune… You seem to feel quite strongly about this. Why?" The elven lady spoke softly, but her gaze was piercing.
"I had friends there, Lareina. And this man is one of them. The leader of the lynethe. I owe him something at least."

Sanjiv stood up, staring at Akai, Kacela, Kiros and Tuari. "Do they want to join our ranks Rune? Is that their wish?" The solemn look on the lynethe’s blood streaked faces was enough for the Council members. After holding a brief whispered conference, they turned to face the lynethe. "You are welcome to stay here while your wounds heal, and if you so wish, you can live within these walls as Nishan. Welcome to Jericho." Sanjiv said, holding his arms wide.

Zev held up his paw and addressed the other members of the panel. "If they should decide to stay, they are required to wear their marks. Should we set a date for them to meet here and receive them?" As Tuari looked at Zev, he noticed a glimmer of silver on the creature’s face. His tattoo… I never noticed that before. "No, once they’re washed and healed they’ll receive their marks, Zev. Let them feel some comfort after their long travel." The dwarf, Ezhno said, glancing at the lynethe. The panel members came by, each leading one individual off somewhere; Kiros with Sanjiv, Kacela with Lareina, Tuari with Ezhno, Akai with Vatusia, and Rune with Zev.
~~~
The next time Rune saw his friends, they all bore their own mark on their faces. Kiros wore leaf from the rare inara tree, its dark green shape cast over his eye, the inlaid silver ink making it shine like metal. Kacela’s mark was a simple gold four-point star in the corner of her left eye. Tuari wore a symbol below his left eye that meant "eagle" in the Old Voice, with a feather shadowed behind it. And on Akai’s face was a tattoo of a midnight black cross with an actual gem in the center and a red dot in each corner. Silver lines encased the cross in a diamond. The ink shimmered as if the lines were made of metal, and the gem was a ghostly white. Rune knew he’d seen the symbol before, but he couldn’t remember where.

"Impressive. Say, Akai, have you seen Zev anywhere?" Rune asked the girl. She looked up at him, then continued on with what she was doing. "Akai, I know you can hear me. You aren’t deaf. Answer me."
"If she won’t talk to you, she won’t talk to you Rune. She’s hit one of her moods. Leave her be." Tuari snapped, making Rune take a step back.
"Sorry… I was only asking. Don’t be so defensive, Tuari."
"You don’t have to yell it at her."
"I wasn’t yelling!"
Kiros laughed, "If you weren’t before, you are now. Not that it matters. Akai’s deaf to the world right now. Just give her time."
"Right… I’ll see what I can do. Anyway, has anyone seen Zev."
Kacela nodded. "He’s behind you, Rune."

The others laughed as Rune whirled around, nearly knocking the creature over. Zev waved a clawed hand at the lynethe, "Hello everyone. It’s about time for us all to go to bed. Would you like me to show you your wonderful abodes?" They all laughed and followed him down the street. Akai ran ahead a ways, seemingly eager to look around. "Don’t go too far, little one." Zev called after her. "I’m not little, Zev. I might just be older than you." She shouted back, laughing. Zev snorted, and muttered to Rune, "I’d bet my tail and my right ear that I’m more than twice her age. But we won’t tell her that… I don’t think I’ve seen her laugh since she’s been here." They watched as she darted around a corner, her feet kicking loose rocks from underneath her as she turned. A loud curse echoed through the alleys, and Akai went flying past the corner, and rolling across the street.
~~~

Old 11-01-2003, 08:18 PM   #18
Akamai Deredal
Elven Warrior

A tall figure took a quick step forward to keep his balance as Akai ran straight into his back. He hardly even flinched except for the half step, but Akai was sent rolling back into the street somehow. The light skinned young man turned around to see what had tried to run him over, seeing Akai scurry to her feet in anger and practically stomp towards him. She began to shout at him, but Tokala didn't pay attention to what she was saying. He was too busy trying not to laugh at the sight of what looked like an elf yell at him, when she was a good half foot shorter than him. She took another step towards him, getting in his face as much as she could. I wonder what would happen if I... He grinned mischievously, then in an instant put his foot behind hers and struck her with an open palm in the mid-stomach. The lynethe tripped then rolled to the dusty ground with another curse. She got back up, faster this time and with twice the anger. "You don't have to shout you know..." He said in a calm tone that matched the peaceful green color of his eyes.

Her mouth clicked shut and she eyed the man in front of her. She would’ve been lucky to have reached the man’s shoulder when standing on her tiptoes. Turning her head at a faint clicking noise, Akai saw Zev come running up on all fours and skidding to a stop at her feet. "Are yo-" He stopped as he realized who had knocked Akai down. Laughing he straightened up again, and shook his head. "You bastard, she hasn’t been here a day and you knock her down the first second you lay eyes on her."
Tokala grinned slightly, "Zev, you son of a bitch I haven’t seen you all day. Where’ve you been.? And technically, I only just saw her, she tried to run me down from behind."
"Don’t make such comments about my mother. You don’t even know her."
Meanwhile, Akai stood to the side, blinking as the conversation whipped past her. "You know, you don’t have to talk over me."
Tokala looked down at her and laughed again, "It’s hard not to. You’re a little bit short really."
Akai’s eyes narrowed and she glared at Tokala, balling her hands into fists but not saying anything.
"Oh… that was a bad idea, Tokala… You’ve made her mad now. I don’t think that’s a good thing honestly. She’s scary enough as it is."
"She’s half a foot shorter than me, Zev. What on earth could she do? She’s unarmed and she certainly is not quick on her feet."

Akai’s glared intensified and the air around her suddenly grew unbearably warm, though she didn’t seem to notice. Tokala and Zev both edged away from her, very wary of her now that she’d done something, whatever it was. Zev could feel the ends of his fur getting singed from the heat that radiated off of Akai. Her fists unclenched themselves, and a few short seconds later fire sprang up in her palms, which rapidly grew in size until each one engulfed her whole hand. "Thyn feol wyn kade, Nishan!" She snarled, the fire leaving her hands and going straight for his head and chest. Tokala moved aside just was they whizzed by, but it was too close for comfort. He could feel the burn on the side of his face, and his clothes were charred. "Fiery temper I see." He said before he burst out laughing. Akai’s face fell and she continued down the street past him.

Old 11-01-2003, 08:20 PM   #19
Akamai Deredal
Elven Warrior

"What was that she said, Zev?" Tokala asked after a few minutes. He was still laughing at what the girl had done, when three others like her appeared around the corner.
"She said, ‘I hope you burn, Marked One.’ I hope she didn’t do too much damage. She’s still learning those techniques, so sometimes she can’t control the flow of it." Kacela said, standing beside Zev.
"Well that was a neat little trick she pulled. What’s her name?"
"Akai. Why do you ask?"
"Hm, depends. Does she use any other weapons?"
"Other than her bare hands… No, I do not believe so. She seems to favor some sort of martial arts… Now again, why do you ask?"
"In a few days, have Zev bring her to my neck of the woods. I could teach her a bit more, and maybe she could teach me something."
"You mean if she’ll even speak to you. She only talks once and a while. And that’s usually in our language… which not many people know anymore." Kiros said, scratching at his beard.
"What was that she was speaking anyway?"
"Oh, the lynethe Old Voice. She’s been speaking it for years."
"Hm, well anyway. I’m Tokala… Sorry about getting in your friend’s way." He extended his hand to Kiros, who shook it.
"Akai’s always like that. I’m Kiros, this is Kacela, and Tuari. You already know Zev and Rune I take it."

Tokala muttered something before saying, "I should probably go, you lot like quite tired. Quite tired indeed... I'll see you later Zev, Rune, and maybe I'll 'run in to you' later Akai." She turned around at her name, "What?" He chuckled, "Maybe I'll see you later." She shrugged and continued walking. With that he turned and walked the opposite direction with a short wave to Rune, Zev, and the strangers he had just met.
They walked in near silence to a small inn, at which Zev gave each of them a few golden coins and told them that their rooms were ready and he would see them in the morning to show them around Jericho.
~~~
Tuari woke up the next morning to Zev and Rune’s voices shouting at him from the main room. Groaning, he rolled out of his bed and walked to the door. Opening it, he caught Rune’s hand as the man went to hammer the door, or more likely his face. "I’m up. What did I do?" He muttered groggily. Rune laughed, "You haven’t been up for five minutes and already you ask what you’ve done wrong. Get dressed, Zev’s rousing the others so he can give the lot of you a tour inside the city walls." Tuari nodded and held the door open, "Come in… there should be something for you to eat up here, so help yourself, I’ll be back shortly." He left Rune to scavenge among the remainder of his meal as he went and changed out of his small clothes. A few minutes later, he returned to find Rune munching on some thin bread waiting for him to leave. He hoped the others hadn’t left already; Rune looked quite impatient.

Old 11-01-2003, 08:22 PM   #20
Akamai Deredal
Elven Warrior

Shutting the door to his room, Tuari followed a muttering Rune downstairs into the lobby, where the others were. Akai was sprawled on in front of the hearth, flames dancing in her hands. Tuari did a double-take, nearly tripping over his own feet. He’d forgotten about Akai’s lessons. Rarely ever did a lynethe take up magic; it upset the balance of nature somehow. Ill fortuned usually drove the user mad, bit it had only just started taking hold of Akai. Soon after taking up the study of magic, the nirav attacked, killing her family, and very nearly killing her as well. That’s when she stopped talking to anyone in English, when she started studying foreign languages and more forbidden magic, when she started to grow distant and become irritable and violent. So much had changed.

Kacela too was watching Akai as the flames changed color and size. Her dark blue eyes looked up at his entrance and she smiled. Something about her reminded him of home, and for a second he could see the trees of Amahdy behind her, and her scythe in her hand once again. "Tuari, hurry or we’ll leave you behind." Zev said in his ear, making the young man jump. "Will I be able to sleep then?" Zev laughed and pushed him out into the street. Where do you want to go first?" Rune was saying. Akai shrugged, "What is there to see, Nishan?" She smirked slightly as Rune glared at her.
"Stop calling me that!" He snapped.
"But it’s what you are."
"And what you are too, Akai." He could beat her at this.
"Then call me that if you wish."
"And call everyone by the same name?" His voice sounded thin in patience.
"Yes," she answered simply, looking innocent.
"Ugh… I have a name, Akai. Use it." Maybe not…
"Why would I wish to use your name? Then you would have nothing to answer to."
"Just call me Rune! Gods help me! You win!"

Akai smiled slightly, and nodded, obviously satisfied with his reaction. The others laughed at the two of them. "Rune… what is there to see?" Kiros asked, his look taking some of the wind out of Akai’s sails. "Well, there’s the rest of the inns, other shops and bakeries. Smithies and stables. The training ground and armory…" At the last part Akai’s eyes flashed and Kacela nodded happily. Kiros and Tuari laughed. "We all know where we’re going now, so let’s go." Rune said, shaking his head.