Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-01-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
The Bulwer-Lytton Contest of Entmoot

A writer friend of mine forwarded the winners of this year's Bulwer-Lytton competition, which is sponsored by the English department at San Diego State University in California. The object of the competition is to write the first sentence (and it can be only one sentence) to a really bad novel, as did Bulwer-Lytton with his legendary "It was a dark and stormy night."

I thought it would be rather fun to use this premise as a writing exercise (as well as an excercise in humor and imagination) on the Writer's Forum.

I include the winners of the competition, just to illustrate what needs to be done and to get those creative juices flowing!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bulwer-Lytton Competition Top 10

10) "As a scientist, Throckmorton knew that if he were ever to break wind in the echo chamber, he would never hear the end of it."

9) "Just beyond the Narrows, the river widens."

8) "With a curvaceous figure that Venus would have envied, a tanned, unblemished oval face framed with lustrous thick brown hair, deep azure-blue eyes fringed with long black lashes, perfect teeth that vied for competition, and a small straight nose, Marilee had a beauty that defied description."

7) "Andre, a simple peasant, had only one thing on his mind as he crept
along the East wall: 'Andre creep... Andre creep... Andre creep.'"

6) "Stanislaus Smedley, a man always on the cutting edge of narcissism, was about to give his body and soul to a back alley sex-change surgeon to become the woman he loved."

5) "Although Sarah had an abnormal fear of mice, it did not keep her from eeking out a living at a local pet store."

4) "Stanley looked quite bored and somewhat detached, but then penguins often do."

3) "Like an overripe beefsteak tomato rimmed with cottage cheese, the corpulent remains of Santa Claus lay dead on the hotel floor."

2) "Mike Hardware was the kind of private eye who didn't know the meaning of the word 'fear'; a man who could laugh in the face of danger and spit in the eye of death -- in short, a moron with suicidal tendencies."

AND THE WINNER IS.....

1) "The sun oozed over the horizon, shoved aside darkness, crept along the greensward, and, with sickly fingers, pushed through the castle window, revealing the pillaged princess, hand at throat, crown asunder, gaping in frenzied horror at the sated, sodden amphibian lying beside her, disbelieving the magnitude of the frog's deception, screaming madly, 'You lied!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And now I challenge all you Moot-writers to have a go at writing a really bad opening sentence!!! You know you'd never be able to get away with this in class!

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:26 PM   #2
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Once the lonely man had begun learning to speak to his alter-ego, he found himself to be constantly in good company...
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 09:19 AM   #3
Beruthiel's cat

Frank had decided while tossing and turning all night that he would face the morning with a positive approach, so, glancing at his bleary-eyed countenance in the mirror, he reflected, "Insomnia wouldn't be so bad if you could get some sleep."

~~~~~~~~~

"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 02-09-2005, 08:10 PM   #4
Draken
Elf Lord

The Witch-King's ears still rung from Sauron's temper that morning: the Lidless Eye had woken up with conjunctivitis again, and boy didn't all of Mordor have to know about it.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 10:11 PM   #5
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beruthiel's cat
AND THE WINNER IS.....

1) "The sun oozed over the horizon, shoved aside darkness, crept along the greensward, and, with sickly fingers, pushed through the castle window, revealing the pillaged princess, hand at throat, crown asunder, gaping in frenzied horror at the sated, sodden amphibian lying beside her, disbelieving the magnitude of the frog's deception, screaming madly, 'You lied!"
Hey- that one was really good.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 10:39 PM   #6
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Most people who looked at Randall, with his tall, muscular build; dashing, handsome face; clean-cut, sharp chin; blonde, wavy hair; and strong, masculine expression, could tell that he was a king: which tells the rest of us that most people are very stupid indeed.

I agree with Leif Erikson: that "winner" was GOOD.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:15 PM   #7
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

"Renowned curator Jacques Saunière staggered through the vaulted archway of the museum's Grand Gallery" - oh wait, Dan Brown already did that.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 05:35 PM   #8
Beruthiel's cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronParrot
"Renowned curator Jacques Saunière staggered through the vaulted archway of the museum's Grand Gallery" - oh wait, Dan Brown already did that.

Thanks for the tip-off IP. I'm the third person in the world that hasn't read the DaVinci code. Thanks to your link (and the sample paragraph), I won't bother. If I want a mystery, I'll stick with the "cozies" I ususally read, thanks!

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 03-08-2005, 05:42 PM   #9
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

"It was a cold morning when Arwen decided to go and rescue four hobbits."
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 11:14 PM   #10
Keith K
Elf Lord

After spending his entire career as the straight man Porky was told he would be allowed to deliver the punch line "when pigs fly" and consequently boarded his little animated yellow bi-plane, thus taking matters into his own hooves.
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote