Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-19-2003, 05:31 PM   #1
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

passing through rohan

what if the fellowship was able to pass through the gap of rohan instead of going through moria. would the books be shorter if they did.
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 09:56 PM   #2
Elf Girl
Lurker

Yes, because Saruman would have to not be evil, so Rohan could fend for itself, so they all could go to Gondor, so Aragorn could become king and lead everyone to war.

EDIT: And Gandy wouldn't have died, so probably the whole Fellowship would have gone to Mt. Doom.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 04:11 PM   #3
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Gandy?
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 04:33 PM   #4
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

gandalf
I AM CANADIAN

Old 04-20-2003, 06:50 PM   #5
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
Gandy?
Sorry. Typing fast.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 12:06 AM   #6
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

yes, but Gandalf the White was stronger than Gandalf the Grey. how would it have gone if they entered the war against Mordor without Gandalf having undergone his transformation?
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 12:49 AM   #7
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

That requires you consider several questions, now doesn't it?

Are you asking that the result stay the same? Because if not, then it's quite possible that the story would end with Saruman taking the ring.

On the other hand, there is the problem of whether gandalf the grey would have been able to accomplish as much as he did once elevated to white. Would the fellowship have been broken even with gandalf still present? Would they have simply gone to Gondor first? What would have happened with Boromir? What of Gollum- remember, he first started following them near the gates of moria. And on and on and on... you see?
Old 04-21-2003, 01:50 PM   #8
azalea
Long lost mooter

How about this: Saruman is able to defeat Rohan and then fight Gondor, probably winning, BUT Frodo and Sam are still able to make it to Mt. Doom, and the ring destroyed. I still think Boromir would have died, and Frodo would still have gone off on his own, but Gandalf may have noticed if Boromir had gone off w/ Frodo, so it may have been different in that respect. Also, Merry and Pippin may not have been captured, but I think the Fellowship would have defeated the orcs with Gandalf there to throw fireballs at them or what have you (isn't that what he did in The Hobbit?), or work his wizardry somehow. This would only be one of many possible scenarios if what you said were the case. Anyway, Gandalf would have let Frodo go off with Sam, because he was such a believer in the ringbearer's decision making being what was meant to happen. And Gollum would have gone after them. Anyway, this is all just my speculation that I've maneuvered to come out with the same end result (destruction of the ring).
OH, or maybe Gandalf would have been with them and they could have forced Frodo to throw it in or at least he could have had taken it and thrown it in! But then if Saruman had taken Gondor, what then, even if the ring had been destroyed? It would have been another battle anyway, but probably easier to win because I think once Sauron was out of the picture, the majority of the orcs would have lost their potency as an army.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 02:28 PM   #9
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

actually in the hobbit he lit pinecones and threw them at the wolves or wargs or whatever
I AM CANADIAN