Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #21
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

*unfortunately, there is no sign of Eothain. An old woman you question remembers him as a tall lean man who seldom smiled.
Attalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #22
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Lilyblck Gefae *She is very disappointed by her fruitless search, and returns to her usual daytime work and nighttime prowling. Frequently she studies the star-brooch, noting that it seems bighter far by starlight alone than by the brightest moon. A jeweler makes her a pin for the back for another brooch of the same size, as she is reluctant to show her treasure. She takes the pin off the cheap jewel and replaces the now vanished pin of the star-brooch. But she does not dare to wear it. Yet.
“Faërie contains many things besides elves and fays, and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants, or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted.” - JRRT. "On Faerie-Stories"

Last edited by Nerwen : 07-09-2015 at 05:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #23
Attalus

Eothain Helmsson *about three months later, a tall, gaunt man steps into the pawnshop. He asks to redeem his pledge and is much chagrined to find it has been sold. He asks the pawnbroker who bought it, but, alas, she paid in cash. Gilbert smirks knowingly during this conversation and winks at the man. After the pawnbroker leaves, Eothain beckons him aside and by skilful questioning, he gets Lily's description and her first name. "Lilyblack," he muses.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:59 AM   #24
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Lilyblack Gefae When she gets back from one of her midnight prowings, she is still restless and puts on her cloak, fastening it at the right shoulder with the Star-brooch. She thinks she looks grand, but she does notice a strange tingle wen her leaf-pendant touches the brooch. She does this several times with no repeat. Must be my imagination, she thought.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:13 AM   #25
Attalus

*On the way back from one of your midnight rambles, you sense a figure lurking in the entryway to your apartment building
Old 07-12-2015, 01:41 PM   #26
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Lilyblack Gefae *She jumps back through the door, and cross-draws her daggers* "Who's there? I warn you, I am armed and care not if I use them!*
Old 07-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #27
Attalus

Eothain "A friend! Worry not, little mistress. I honor your courage and recognize your determination. Not to mention, I can smell poison on your left-hand dagger. How in Middle-earth did you get possession of the venom of an Harad copper cobra?"
Old 07-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #28
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Lilyblack Gefae*she does not relax her stance* "Okay, if you are a friend, prove it by keeping your distance and coming out of here under the street lamp and let me have a look at you."
Old 07-14-2015, 03:04 PM   #29
Attalus

Eothain Helmsson *mildly* "Certainly, Mistress. Any place you like. I am biddable, you see."
Old 07-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #30
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Lilyblack Gefae *she leads him to her favorite pub, still open at this hour. She looks arond, hoping to spot Micah, but he is not to be found. She bids her streange visitor over to a seat near the door and sits down, motioning him to do like wise.* Now, then, what's this all about?"
“Faërie contains many things besides elves and fays, and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants, or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted.” - JRRT. "On Faerie-Stories"
Old 07-21-2015, 08:35 PM   #31
Attalus

Eothain Helmsson *He orders an ale, sips on it while surveying the contents of the room. Finally satisfied, he leans closer to Lily and murmurs, "I am sorry if I...startled you, Mistress, but I have been at some pains to track the lady that bought an artifact that I..." *grimaces* "...once owned."
Old 07-21-2015, 08:41 PM   #32
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Lilylack Gefae "That is most interesting, Master...Eothain, if I caught your name right? But what has all this to do with me? I'll admit I recently purchased, quite legally, an antique brooch. Perhaps you could describe the artifact you seek and I could see if there is a resemblance."
Old 07-22-2015, 09:28 AM   #33
Attalus

Eothain *smiling grimly* "Well, there was more to it than meets the eye. Like you, Mistress, I dare say." He looks at the back-leather-clad girl, straining eagerly to sift his every word, thinking, But I can tell a lot about you just looking at you. "It would, at first sight, have appeared a painted metal pendant with a flowered design." As she strained forward more eagerly, he added, carefully. "But it has unseen depths. Or had!"
Old 07-25-2015, 05:34 PM   #34
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Lilyblack *rounds eyes in mock innocence* "Why, what do you mean, sir?"
Old 07-25-2015, 07:11 PM   #35
Attalus

Eothain "I mean I put a disguise on it, Mistress, so that if my mission proved over-long, as indeed it did, no-one would be likely to buy it from that shop window. I would not carry such a thing where I went, but needed a safe place to keep it. Where better than a suspicious pawnbroker's safe? Unless a very subtle and perspicacious customer saw more than I had hoped."
Old 07-26-2015, 09:33 AM   #36
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Lilyblack Gefae "Your mission went over-long? Well, that might happen to anyone, though perhaps most would have picked a banker''s strongbox rather than a pawnbroker's. But, before I go further, tell me, sir, about your mission, and why you want this bauble you think I possess."
Old 07-27-2015, 02:08 PM   #37
Attalus

Eothain *He gives her a long, searching look* "Well, Mistress, this is not a tale I would gladly tell, but the circumstances seem to make it unavoidable. As I think you know, the jewel beneath that disguise is an ancient badge with the device of a rayed star. It is of mithril, most precious of all the metals, and would identify me to a group to which I would be otherwise little-known or trusted. And it is no imposture I attempt, for I had that badge from my father and he from his, back before any can truly remember."
Old 07-27-2015, 06:14 PM   #38
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Lilyblack Gefae *her eyes narrow slightly* "So, you are a descendant of the dunedain? But you bear a name of Rohan. Though, I'll admit, you look more like a worn traveler than a fresh horseman. Who is this group you seek to join, or infitrate? Those who look back to the days of the War of the Ring in nostalgia? Or is there some deeper purpose?
Old 07-28-2015, 09:13 PM   #39
Attalus

Eothain "Do not speak so loudly! Yes, I am descended from the Dunedain of old. I left Edoras abruptly, not bringing my treasure, because bad news came to me. A young kinswoman of mine had disappeared, and on the marches of Mirkwood of old. There are still some very black patches, you know. I have heard that in some places the original Darkness has never been lifted. Gudrun was always an adventurous lass, and she went forth with two companions to explore the rumor of one. None ever returned. I searched myself, but only found an old glove, torn and stained, maybe by old blood. Realizing my failure, I was alerted to the existence of a shadowy group that call themselves after the old symbol of the Rayed Star. They want to mount an expedition to that area, but they are wary of outsiders. I told them somewhat of myself, and of the badge. Now, nothing will do but they see the thing for themselves before they let me accompany them."
Old 07-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #40
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Lilyblack Gefae *Looks about desperately fo Micah to come in. She wants to say, sure, I'll produce the badge but I have to come with, but she is unsure of trusting this grim man, alone and far from help*