Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #21
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Taken from TOLKIEN the Illustrated Encyclopedia:

Bard the Bowman--Man of Dale and dragon slayer. Born and raised among the Lake Men of Esgaroth, Bard was an exile of Dale, which had been destroyed by Smaug, the Golden Dragon. He was a strong and grim-faced man who claimed descent from a famous archer called Girion of Dale.

In 2941 of the Third Age, while the city fathers fled for their lives, Bard used his archer's skills to strike the mighty Smaug beneath his armour in his one vulnerable spot. He then lead the army of men to victory in the Battle of Five Armies. After the battle, Bard used a part of the dragon's gold hoard to rebuild both Esgaroth and Dale. He became the first in a long line of kings of Dale. He died in the year 2977 and was succeeded by his son, King Bain.

It's not much to go on, and I think it's the same basic information from the Internet. But we do know he lived 36 years after killing Smaug, which if we assume a lifespan of 65-75 years would definitely put him somewhere in his early to mid 30's or very late 20's
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #22
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

I'm def interested. I'll just need to think of a character and bio that meshes with the area

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #23
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
It's not much to go on, and I think it's the same basic information from the Internet. But we do know he lived 36 years after killing Smaug, which if we assume a lifespan of 65-75 years would definitely put him somewhere in his early to mid 30's or very late 20's
It's basically the same as I could compile from the Appendices of LotR - I'd suggest we go for his early 30's and make him 32.
And I assume this is in 2942, as Eärniel said 'one year after Smaug's death'.

*waves to Acalewia*
Great to have you on the team!

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #24
Acalewia

-waves at Varna-

Name: Celebfin
Race: Elf
Sex: Female
Appearance: Celebfin is a tall and slender elf with clear grey eyes and silver hair. She prefers to wear a brownish green tunic and breeches that helps her blend into her surroundings. She excels as an archer but also has duel sword skill. She also has a small scar near her eye across her brow from an goblin sword. She smiles easily but it is a mistake for her enemies to underestimate her.
Bio: Celebfin was born in Rivendell. She leaned the bow at an early age and became very skilled at it. The sons of Elrond themselves taught her sword skill. Inspired by the stories of the great battle at Mount Doom, she decided to leave the only home she'd known and have her own adventures. She ended up in Mirkwood and stayed for a time. She answered the call to march to the Lonely Mountain and fought in the Battle of the Five Armies, where she received her scar. She's stayed in Dale to help rebuild.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Last edited by Acalewia : 04-08-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #25
Varnafindë

Two corrections, one small and one major:

- You mean she was born in and left Rivendell, don't you?

- I'm not sure what you mean by the great battle at Mount Doom. If you mean what Frodo did there, that hasn't happened yet - the events of The Hobbit, which ends with Smaug's death and the Battle of Five Armies, take place more than eighty years before The Lord of the Rings. Frodo isn't born yet, Aragorn is just a small boy, and Greenwood is still called Mirkwood.
But something different from Frodo may have inspired her, like the battle of Dagorlad almost three thousand years earlier, where Sauron was defeated before Isildur took the Ring from his hand.

I guess she would know my Elven character, Galadhlin, who fought as a spearman, then? At least I assume she would know about him.

Last edited by Varnafindë : 04-07-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #26
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Welcome Acalewia! Great of you to join us. Your character sounds good, apart from one detail: Aliya is not an Elfish name. Perhaps you can translate her name Silverhair? That would make a great Eldarin name. ('celeb' is silver is Sindarin, but I forgot what hair was.) Unless Aliya is a name humans have given her, and she accepted it for her own.

Varna, I assume that is indeed the battle Acalewia means. The Last Alliance fought on Dagorlad near Mount Doom, but if I recall correctly Gil-Galad's, Elendil's and Isildur's battle with Sauron was on the slopes of Mount Doom. (There was no actual battle at Mount Doom in LoTR, the Armies of the Free People fought at the Black Gates.)
Old 04-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #27
Varnafindë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Varna, I assume that is indeed the battle Acalewia means. The Last Alliance fought on Dagorlad near Mount Doom, but if I recall correctly Gil-Galad's, Elendil's and Isildur's battle with Sauron was on the slopes of Mount Doom.
Yes, that makes sense! Elrond wanted Isildur to throw the Ring into the fire, so they were probably close by. Then I see what you mean, Acalewia!

Old 04-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #28
Acalewia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
Two corrections, one small and one major:

- You mean she was born in and left Rivendell, don't you?

- I'm not sure what you mean by the great battle at Mount Doom. If you mean what Frodo did there, that hasn't happened yet - the events of The Hobbit, which ends with Smaug's death and the Battle of Five Armies, take place more than eighty years before The Lord of the Rings. Frodo isn't born yet, Aragorn is just a small boy, and Greenwood is still called Mirkwood.
But something different from Frodo may have inspired her, like the battle of Dagorlad almost three thousand years earlier, where Sauron was defeated before Isildur took the Ring from his hand.

I guess she would know my Elven character, Galadhlin, who fought as a spearman, then? At least I assume she would know about him.
She wasn't at that battle so she wouldn't know Galadhlin unless they met briefly in Rivendell or on her travels. And I was doing this completely by memory since I seemed to have misplaced my copy of The Hobbit in the move. I thought that Mirkwood was the name the humans gave Greenwood.
Quote:
Welcome Acalewia! Great of you to join us. Your character sounds good, apart from one detail: Aliya is not an Elfish name. Perhaps you can translate her name Silverhair? That would make a great Eldarin name. ('celeb' is silver is Sindarin, but I forgot what hair was.) Unless Aliya is a name humans have given her, and she accepted it for her own.

Varna, I assume that is indeed the battle Acalewia means. The Last Alliance fought on Dagorlad near Mount Doom, but if I recall correctly Gil-Galad's, Elendil's and Isildur's battle with Sauron was on the slopes of Mount Doom. (There was no actual battle at Mount Doom in LoTR, the Armies of the Free People fought at the Black Gates.)
And yes that was the battle I meant and the one that inspired her to leave Rivendell. And I gave her the name Aliya just to give her one until I could look up the right name. My elven has gotten a bit rusty lol

Thanks yall. Like I said, I'm doing this from memory since I haven't found my copies yet. Moved about a month ago and I still have boxes everywhere and more in storage >.<

Old 04-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #29
Acalewia

Ok name is fixed. Thanks, Earniel

Old 04-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #30
Varnafindë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia View Post
She wasn't at that battle so she wouldn't know Galadhlin unless they met briefly in Rivendell or on her travels.
Galadhlin fought as a spearman in the Battle of Five Armies. He used to live nearer Ithilien, but moved to Mirkwood a few hundred years ago, and has been in the service of King Thranduil since then, as well as working as a raft-elf to ferry goods between Mirkwood and Lake-town. I guess they would know about each other from Mirkwood, or we could even let them know each other well, if we so choose.

(I guess he may have fought in the battle of Dagorlad as well, but that part of his history is not very clear to me yet.)

He has never lived at Rivendell, but his niece Barufiniel lives there, and his daughter often visits her cousin. His wife was killed by Orcs a thousand years ago.

Quote:
Thanks yall. Like I said, I'm doing this from memory since I haven't found my copies yet. Moved about a month ago and I still have boxes everywhere and more in storage >.<
Boxes? Storage? You have my sympathy ...

Old 04-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #31
Acalewia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
Galadhlin fought as a spearman in the Battle of Five Armies. He used to live nearer Ithilien, but moved to Mirkwood a few hundred years ago, and has been in the service of King Thranduil since then, as well as working as a raft-elf to ferry goods between Mirkwood and Lake-town. I guess they would know about each other from Mirkwood, or we could even let them know each other well, if we so choose.

(I guess he may have fought in the battle of Dagorlad as well, but that part of his history is not very clear to me yet.)

He has never lived at Rivendell, but his niece Barufiniel lives there, and his daughter often visits her cousin. His wife was killed by Orcs a thousand years ago.
-facepalm- oh duh. I knew that

I like the know each other well bit. Celebfin is a lot younger than he is, though but it's still seems like a good idea

Old 04-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #32
Varnafindë

Celebfin is younger than his daughter, but she's older than his niece.
But even the first time he met her, when he first came to Mirkwood (I guess), she was a grown woman, so the age difference wasn't so important. So yes, a good idea.

I guess we should work out the details of their friendship in PMs

Old 04-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #33
Acalewia

I agree

Old 04-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #34
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia View Post
And yes that was the battle I meant and the one that inspired her to leave Rivendell. And I gave her the name Aliya just to give her one until I could look up the right name. My elven has gotten a bit rusty lol

No worries, and thanks for taking care of it so quickly.

Sympathies for the moving and storage. I know how chaotic that can be. >_<
Old 04-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #35
Acalewia

Quote:
No worries, and thanks for taking care of it so quickly.

Sympathies for the moving and storage. I know how chaotic that can be. >_<
Oi! Been here about a month and I still have stuff in boxes

Been totally missing my RPs though

Old 04-11-2012, 06:09 AM   #36
Earniel

We now have four players, which I consider the minimum to start a RPG with, so Erebor Rebuilt can launch. When would be a good time to start for all of you? I don't want to start immediately as I want people to have some time to think or work out of their own storylines.

My characters:

Name: Thorin Stonehelm
Race: Dwarf
Sex: male
Appearance: An ordinary-looking Dwarf with a brown beard and dark eyes. The only hint of his elevated status among Dwarves is a silver pendant with an image of the mountain. The pendant originally came from the Dragon's Hoard.

Biography: Thorin is the son of DaÃ*n, King under the Mountain. He has seen quite a few changes in the past months and he hasn't quite come to terms with all of them. First there was the Battle of the Five Armies, which was the first mayor battle he took part in and which also earned him the name 'Stonehelm' after a humourous incident with a rock and an orc.

On top of that he's made prince and heir apparant to Dúrin's throne and is now in charge of Erebor until it is fit to house Dúrin's folk. Smaug has left quite a mess. He also has to deal with Humans and Elves a lot more than he's used to and old prejudices die hard. Back in the Iron Hills life was simpler. But Thorin's a practical Dwarf, if a bit gruff, and he intends to see the task his father has given him through.

Name: Rithelle Sailmaker
Race: Man
Sex: female
Appearance: A woman of average height and build. Her eyes are grey and her hair is black. She dresses practically these days out of necesity, but she still does have a taste for jewellery and fine clothes.
Biography: Widowed at an early age and without children, Rithelle returned home and used to run her father's household after the death of her mother. As her father Rilan was the Master Sailmaker of Esgaroth and was close to Lake-town elite, she had known a good life before the destruction of Lake-town.

Her father dishonoured himself by fleeing with the old Master of lake-town and part of the treasure meant for the rebuilding of Lake-town. Although he returned from that ill-conceived flight, his health has wasted forever and he needed care after that. Rithelle thus became head of the family and ruler of the sailmaker business -- what is left of both, in any case.

Rithelle is persistant and intent on seeing Lake-town (and through that her own family's fortune) restored. She has hounded the new Master of the Lake-town people until she was given a place in the Council to defend Lake-town's interests in his absence.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #37
Acalewia

I can start anytime. I usually get on in the evenings and I've started getting on daily again

Old 04-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #38
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I can pretty much start any time as well, of course with the same comment I had before about how my availability will be limited till summer.

I'm excited and kind of nervous!!!! I haven't actually written in ages.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #39
Earniel

Excellent, we'll start this weekend then.

I suggest we'd start in a Council meeting, perhaps the first one with Rithelle sitting in for new Master of Lake town. That way we have all our characters together for introductions. Sounds good?
Old 04-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #40
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Huzzah! Sounds grand.