Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #61
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

"A mystery indeed," Radagast agreed. "It will be interesting to see whether we will come across these creatures in the Iron Hills, and under what circumstances."

"I must go now," Teye said, as the Ultai camp started to stir in earnest. She rose and bowed. "I have done all I can for you, the rest is in your hands. May you find that which you seek."

She turned away, halted a moment and then briefly addressed Radagast.

"I hope, Radagast, that one day you will return to these lands, and tell me of the result of your quest. I shall be very interested. Until then, goodbye."

"I shall keep that appointment, Teye," Radagast said. "Until then."

As the seer walked away, Radagast turned towards the adventurers. "Well, I suppose this means it is time for us also to start packing. Let's be on the road by noon. The Iron Hills are waiting!"
Old 11-06-2009, 11:17 PM   #62
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Aelfwine turned and went to her sattlebags to make sure everything was there. She checked her bow and to make sure her quiver was full. Then walked over to Midnight. The horse tossed his head. She stroked his nose.
"Soon," She said. "We'll continue on soon,"

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #63
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl did not do so much as look back over at the group until Teye had left and the others had begun to disperse. It was safer that way, she reasoned. Teye would not have warned her that she ought to leave unless Mysteries were truly being discussed, and that Tabrîl was far from home did not make that which was sacred any less prohibited to her.

The discussions seemed over for now, however, and Tabrîl watched the adventurers as they began to prepare for the journey ahead. That mortal girl from the western plains, Aelfwine, was already standing by her horse, as if she expected them to leave soon. Tabrîl knew better. With this group, it was likely to be an hour or more before their departure. Not that this troubled her. Tabrîl was in no hurry.

In fact, she had briefly contemplated remaining behind after the Ultai, and indeed the rest of the adventurers, moved on, simply to see what would happen. It had occurred to her that if she could not travel too far from Haldis, then the reverse should also be true. Haldis could not leave her. The binding, it would seem, favored stasis. Tabrîl wondered for a moment what would happen if she forced the issue, but these thoughts she quickly put from mind. It was not for to her to try to discern the nature of magic, after all, and defiance for it's own sake was not in Tabrîl's nature.

No, if there was a time for such a thing, it was not now. Perhaps one day, when Abasi was free of his obligation to that dwarf, and might go his own way, the situation would appear more urgent to her. If it was not already resolved by then, one way or another. At present, it seemed better to keep her peace, and hope that these Entwives were soon found, if they still lived.

With a last glance over at the Ultai encampment, Tabrîl got up and went to find the pack mules, intending to make sure her belongings and what remained of the food stores she had gathered were secure. In a sense, she was looking forward to the long journey ahead. At least it had purpose, unlike this most recent detour.

Last edited by Aikanáro : 11-22-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Aikanáro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:34 AM   #64
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Barufiniel had enjoyed last night - the success of their performance, and the praise they had received for it. She had shared in a good meal, but she wasn't given to overmuch feasting, so she was quite prepared to take on the new day's duties of packing up and prepare to start travelling again.

She checked that Wilwarin was doing all right. The horse was getting restless after a week of near inactivity.

"We're off today," Barufiniel told her. "I'll be back some time after breakfast, and then you'll be able to stretch your legs properly again."

She wasn't prepared for the visitor - but she was less surprised than some that Radagast hadn't realised about the pregnant lady. She wasn't all that big yet - and for someone who wasn't usually around Elven ladies, he might not be used to the little signs that gave the secret away. Baru herself couldn't see all of those, but she had heard comments from the others.

When Teye began to tell about visions, Baru was worried for a moment - but was relieved and grateful to the seer for her consideration. She cast a quick glance in Tabril's direction, and was satisfied to see her walk out of earshot. Abasi hadn't joined the group this morning, so it wouldn't be a problem for him.

Barufiniel didn't feel particularly targeted by any of the visions, but then again, she was no seer. She had been told about the shadowy rodents from Dol Guldur, and found it very interesting to hear that they had - in real life, too, and not just in a vision - gone to the Iron Hills. There must be some significance in that - somehow the company must be going in the right direction.

Whether that meant that they would reach their goal and fulfil their quest when they got there, was a different question. But the Iron Hills was surely somewhere they would need to go.

After Teye had left, Barufiniel helped with small but necessary tasks for breaking camp, and then did the last of her own packing. She was ready to leave well in time for noon.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #65
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Blossomshade stood at a distance as Teye gave an account of her visions. After everyone had left, she said out loud, "Well, I understand, Radagast. From all the way up here, I couldn't tell the elf-woman was with child!"

For Aerin and Magor, the time in the Ultai camp had passed uneventfully. Neither had been called upon to perform and to Aerin, that was just as well, because she felt she didn't have talents to be a captivating performance. She had a joke with Magor that if the Ultai needed a postman, Aerin would have outshone all the rest of the company.

Magor had no qualms about performing, but he spent the week helping Aerin. Ever since Quickleaf had fallen, she'd been acting strange. "Being an Elf," Magor often thought to himself, "she must not have the same need coming to terms with death as man does." She had told him of her time when she was lost in Dol Guldur, just before joining the company and of how the Valar had delivered her in time. "Quickleaf didn't receive that from them." Aerin had said. Magor could tell she was healing, but he refrained from performing because, as he often muttered to himself, "Counseling an Elf is not easy for a Man."

As the company readied themselves for travel once again, Aerin and Magor prepared. Magor could tell: Aerin was ready to move.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Last edited by Midge : 12-15-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #66
Earniel

"Ah. Oh. Eh, thank you, Blossomshade," Radagast replied somewhat embarrassed to the Entwife. He briefly wondered whether Gandalf had ever encountered the issue of pregnant travel-companions. Or maybe that explained why the last Fellowship Gandalf had joined had been an all-male one.

Perhaps I have been spending too much time with the birds and the animals indeed, Radagast mused. And wasn't that the same sentiment that had moved him to accept this quest from Gandalf? He vowed to himself to take more notice of his travel-companions in the future.

As he started gathering his things together, he couldn't help himself but dwelling on Teye's visions. He had an inkling they would be a lot on his mind the following days until they reached the Iron Hills. Overall, the visions had been rather ambiguous, but there was at least one concrete clue: the narrow canyon ending in a smooth cliff-face would be something to look for.

All around them the Ultai started to pack in earnest too. Once most of them had woken, with a head-ache or without, the tribes were very efficient in packing. Before an hour had passed, already several tribes had left for their own territories. By the time the adventurers were packed, only the resident tribe remained. These Ultai knew they did not have to hurry for they had less far to travel until their next camp, and they could take their time.

Radagast fastened the last of his bags to his horse's saddle and turned to survey his companions.

"Is everybody ready?"
Old 11-15-2009, 11:32 PM   #67
Acalewia

"I am," Aelfwine said. Midnight tossed her head. She led her horse over to where a few of the others who were standing. Borin's Warg nudged her in greeting. She rubbed his muzzle.
"Hello there," she said with a smile. Having ridden him once had dispelled any fear she had of this Warg.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #68
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Glad to hear that they were finally moving again, Aerin piped up immediately at the same time as Aelfwine, "Absolutely!"

Magor looked at them both and chuckled, "Well, I've befriended some eager people here!" He flashed a grin at both of them and was happy to see Aerin blush and smile back instead of the usual brooding look she'd been sporting lately.

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 11-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #69
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

The sun was high overhead by the time Radagast asked if the company was ready to depart. Tabrîl, some distance from him, had been sitting on the ground, watching the others with an air of disinterest. At his question, however, she got up, and after Aelfwine and Aerin had answered, she raised an arm and called over to the wizard:

'Ready!'

Old 11-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #70
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami stood up and shouldered her pack back, "All ready i guess." Nami wondered closer to the gathering group, "Onwards to who knows what!"
feawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:47 AM   #71
Acalewia

Aelfwine laughed at Magor's comment. She saw Aerin's smile and smiled herself. She was glad to see the Elf sport a smile for once instead of the sad expression she'd worn since Quickleaf's death.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:58 AM   #72
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amael View Post
A'mael went with Radagast, looking at Ingwionis, angered more than she usually is even when she faces down orcs. Ingwionis seemed scared, and he was now exposed because of the loud and determined nature of the tone he chose to use. As A'mael went with Radagast, Ingwionis started to walk away from the camp, shaking his head. A'mael felt sorry for him, because she knew that he had said what he said for the right reasons.
Continued...

Ingwionis and his wife went to a private place to continue the discussion. Ingwionis realized that he had clearly spoken too loud to her, and that she was angered, perhaps to unforgivable levels.

He lowered his head after looking her in the eyes. "A'mael, my love, I am sorry. I suppose that I'm just looking out for your safety. That is what the wizard wants too. But protecting you and our baby, that's what is the most important to me. Compared to finding the Entwives, you and the baby are top priority. A'mael, do you wish for us both to set forth for Greenwood, or for home?"
Old 11-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #73
Earniel

Well, everybody seemed quite ready to leave, Radagast concluded. More than ready even, some looked rather eager. It would appear the short rest at the Ultai Celebration had done them good, which pleased him. There was no telling when they would be able to be so at peace next, the Iron Hills were sparsely populated at best.

"Well then," he said, " Let's go, the Iron Hills aren't going to come closer on their own."

He nudged his horse into a firm but steady pace. Radagast too, was eager to get going. He had the feeling they were finally nearing their goal.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:51 PM   #74
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Her spirits were so lifted at the thought of moving forward toward their goal that Aerin leapt upon Glaeren with the agility that is attributed only to Elvenkind. As she held the horse in check, she looked around at all those who were still saddling up or mounting and began galloping Glaeren around them in impatience. Magor, who watched Aerin for a few minutes from atop his horse, finally fell into step with her and caught her reins. "Whoa! I've never seen such silly behavior from an elf!" He scolded smilingly. "Your horse will thank you for not using up all her good energy on a day when we've got to march many miles and the sun's only just up!"

He looked around furtively. "All right, old girl. Just once. I'll race you to the edge of that grove over there! We go back to the group when I've won!" And they both took off; the wind blew in their faces.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #75
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl looked on in puzzlement as Aerin and Magor galloped away from them. Some were more eager than others, she thought, and shrugged. The elf who had come out of Dol Guldur and her companion had yet to do any harm, and her early wariness of them was greatly diminished.

She began to walk, careful to keep out of the way of those who were mounted. Several times she glanced over her shoulder, as if searching the horizon of the plains that lay behind them expectantly. For Tabrîl was expecting something, at least if promises were to be trusted.

She had only gone a little way before she spotted it. A sturdy, dapple-grey mare making its way towards them, across the plains. Tabrîl stopped and waited until the horse reached her side, and then smiled to herself, running her fingers over the woven blanket on its back.

It - she, Tabrîl corrected herself, and she would need a name soon enough - was a fine horse, and likely hardy enough to be suited to a journey such as this. Tabrîl muttered some few words of Kindi dialect to the horse, and then patted her gently. A few of the others were looking at her by this point, but she offered no explanation, only swung herself up atop the horse, and rode towards the front of the group, wanting to see what lay ahead.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #76
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami mounted for own horse, patting its neck as she settled into a comfortable postion. Turning, she cast one last look behind her, the distent river they had once traveled on, glisted slightly in the sun. She sighed and turned her eyes back to the path ahead of her. Nami took a postion next to Branwyn's side. Nami felt a little at a loss as the company made ready to move on. On previous long rides she had often found her self in the company of Ellysa, Aelfwine and Quickleaf. But lately she had seen little of Ellysa, and Quickleaf had been lost.
"I think it will be good to start traveling again." Nami commented, glancing towards Branwyn.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #77
Earniel

"Most certainly," Branwyn replied. "I am somewhat sorry to see the Celebration end already, it has been a very interesting event, but the Entwives are not going to find themselves! Although I reckon it was the last bit of civilisation we are going to see for a while. The Iron Hills are said to be rather lonely."

Looking back to the last few people yet to mount, and Haldis' mules who always took up the rear, Branwyn spotted Tabrîl with a horse he hadn't seen before. Having travelled with this group for so long, he had gotten to know all the horses and mules, at the least by sight. He couldn't recall seeing the grey mare before.

"Say," he said to Nami, "do you know where Tabrîl managed to get a horse?"
Old 11-25-2009, 06:18 PM   #78
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami turned in her saddle to see what Branwyn was looking at. It was true, Nami had not seen this horse before. "I have taken the option not to be suprised by anything this group does anymore and nor do i think that if you ask Tabril where the horse came from that she will give you an answer that you would like."
Nami watched Aerin and Magor gallop off away from the group and then back in the direction they were to travel, remembering something Branwyn had just sad. "We are heading in the wrong direction for the Mountain to be the Lonely one, although i think spirits will not be as high as they are today when we reach the iron hills."
Old 11-29-2009, 01:10 AM   #79
Acalewia

Aelfwine giggled as Magor and Arien galloped off. She and Magor had raced many times as children. The grey mare caught her eye. She didn't remember seeng her before but couldn't help but notice how beautiful and strong the horse looked. Aelfwine wondered where she'd found a horse but knew better than to ask Tabril.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:03 AM   #80
Earniel

"True," Branwyn agreed. He looked back to Tabrîl and her new horse. He had to admit, he still was curious. Branwyn had not talked much to Tabrîl yet, feeling she preferred space and quiet above company... well, at least above the present non-Kindi company.

"As for the horse," he said with a grin to Nami, "you never know until you ask. I think I will attempt it anyway."

He gave Nami a nod, and turned his horse towards Tabrîl and her equine companion. He approached slowly to prevent spooking the new horse.

"That's a mighty fine horse, Tabrîl," he addressed the elf. "May I ask how you have come by it?"