Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #41
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

"Well, i did go down there. It was Ellysa's wish to go and she asked me to go with her. I kind of got lost but i guess you must face your fears not run from them."
In the distance Nami heard the chatter of small children, a remainer that she other places to do. She turn from the noice and smiled at Tabril, "It seems i am a little late for my final performance. You should keep small children waiting, they start crying and it just not pretty. They do not shout up! I had better go, it was good to talk to you, it seems we do have a thing or two in common!"
feawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:04 PM   #42
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl nodded. 'Enough that we may be civil, at least,' she said with a knowing look, and then she patted Nami on the shoulder. 'Go, then, you do not want to keep them waiting any longer.' Tabrîl had encountered enough of the more inquisitive of the Ultai children to know how troublesome they could be.

She returned to where she had been sitting before, thinking over her talk with Nami. Her opinion of the young elf had altered somewhat. Tabrîl still did not trust Nami, and she was still unhappy about the events outside of Dol Guldur - but Nami, when she could be persuaded to act sensibly, was not quite as dreadful as Tabrîl had imagined. Her mistake before had been assuming too much, with the result that she had been very disappointed to be proven wrong. She would need to keep Nami at a distance, that was certain, but she no longer thought there could be nothing but enmity between them.

Aikanáro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #43
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

“Hm,” Radagast said, thinking of Haldis’ question. “I don’t think telling Tabrîl will give her any more peace of mind,” he said finally. “She seems to have come to accept the situation without wanting to know the reasons behind this link between the two of you. Trying to explain the situation may cause more trouble than it’s worth. Let us look on for now, and there may come a time when we can offer Tabrîl a more certain explanation. In any case,” he said with a friendly pat on Haldis’ shoulder, “let me know if the situation changes.”

On the celebration site, a crowd was slowly gathering. Only several of the children were still missing, no doubt still watching Nami on the other side of the camp - if the merry laughter coming from that area could be any indicator.

“Ah, I see Barufiniel and Branwyn will give their last performance shortly,” Radagast remarked. “Let’s see if we can still find a good viewing spot, I dare say there’s more audience today than for the first part.”

Radagast was not amiss in judging the audience that had come out in full force tonight for the final part of the Lay of Leithan. Only the cushions in the central tent remained surreptitiously empty as the Khagan had forgone the final recital of the Lay for a private entertainment with Hedrim who had once again been honoured with an invitation to the Khagan’s tent-house. His wives in turn had chosen the musical recital over Hedrim’s battle stories.

Branwyn winked at Barufiniel at seeing the crowd. He waited until Barufiniel had signalled him that her lyre was ready, then he stepped forwards and addressed the crowd.

“Greetings!” he said with a bow. “We are honoured that you have decided to grace our small performance in such numbers. Ah, if only I could remember where we left of before!”

This caused for a few ripples of laughter, while others started shouting instructions, and others shouted completely different scenes to see if they could lead Branwyn in the wrong direction.

“Ah, yes!” Branwyn said, as if he had suddenly remembered. “We left just as Beren and Lúthien entered the Lair of the Dark Lord Morgoth. Now in those days, that door was the last that many ever walked through in their lives. Are you interested in knowing whether this was the end for our two intrepid lovers?”

After a resounded, many-voiced “YES!” Branwyn bowed again and started his recital, this time in earnest.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #44
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Aelfwine smiled at the crowds enthusiasm. She herself was waiting for the story. It reminded her of the stories Gandalf would tell. Aelfwine smiled at that old memory. The story began after the resounding yes.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #45
Amael
Elven Warrior

A'mael laid straight on the ground, resting. She didn't have anything at all to do at the moment, which was quite common for her as she just stared into the sky as if she had drank to much.

Last edited by Amael : 10-09-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Amael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:09 AM   #46
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Barufiniel was surprised at first to see what crowd had gathered to listen to the Lay. But why not? she thought. It's a great story - and Branwyn is telling it very well. And the themes of the suite complement the story perfectly. I shouldn't be surprised that these people can appreciate good art.

She smiled, amused, as Branwyn pretended not to know where to start. He really had a way of getting the crowd to join in. And when he started his recital in earnest, she was not surprised to find that there had fallen a hush over the audience. Her first theme tonight was supposed to be played very softly - and she could do so, with no fear that it wouldn't be heard. Everyone was listening intently.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:40 AM   #47
Earniel

Branwyn was entirely satisfied with the recital. The audience was enthusiastic without becoming too loud or impatient for it to be a hinderance. Their interest was almost tangible in the silence that fell, as the soft notes of Barufiniel's lyre drifted up in the night-time air. He was very grateful for the presence of the Elf.

Branwyn imagined that for days to come the Ultai children would be playing Beren and Lúthien. Some of the hounds may find them suddenly in demand for rides just as Lúthien had ridden on Huan. And in their imagination the small tents may become the dark halls of the Thangorodrim, or the dense forests of Beleriand. Some would no doubt dislike having to play the role of Celegorm and Curufin.

This, Branwyn thought happily, is why I left Gondor: to inspire people with the stories of heroes. Even if they eventually didn't find any of the Ent-wives in the Iron Hills, at least here he had achieved something.

The recital ended in a thunderous applause and Barufiniel and Branwyn found themselves offered many a pint of mead and imported wine as they ventured to make their way back to the adventurers' camp.

With all entertainment successfully finished, the Ultai turned to feasting once again. This was the last night of the Celebration and for this, everything was 'a little more' than the previous nights. The very next day the tents would be torn down and all the tribes would return to their own tribe-lands for another year.

So tonight the drinks flowed freely, the campfires burned merrily, smells of roasted meat and spices wafted in the air and much laughter could be heard among the tents. The 'entertainers' were of course invited to feast along.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:18 AM   #48
Earniel

The next day, just before dawn, the Ultai camp has finally calmed down. The fires had burned low, and most people were firmly asleep, which was not surprising, judging from the many barrels of alcohol that had been consumed the previous night.

In the 'entertainer camp', most adventurers were in a more sober state. And many - barring those that liked to sleep in- were already up when they received a visitor.

Teye, Khan Geruth's advisor and seer, had also risen early and she now announced her presence at the entrance of the adventurers' camp. Radagast welcomed her in.

She held up a small purse. "I have come to pay for your services during the Celebration," she said with a twinkle in her eye. Radagast invited her to a cup of tea, that was being freshly brewed, which Teye accepted gladly.

"You have handled your performance most excellently," Teye said to the gathered adventurers. "This will be a Celebration that will be talked about for years to come. But as the journey does not end for you here, Khan Geruth has charged me with providing some further help."

She handed Radagast a roll of parchment. "This is written by Khan Telmur, whose territory you will be crossing from here to the Iron Hills. This will allow you unhindered passage when questioned, but only one way. You will have to seek another path to leave the Iron Hills again than through the lands of the Ultai."

"I hope to find what we seek in the Iron Hills," Radagast said. "But thank you very much for your help, Teye."

Teye smiled. "I have not yet finished dispensing my help, master wizard. There are two - or rather three - matters on which I must speak with you before you leave. The first one being this: It surprises and troubles me, Radagast, that while you have mentioned expecting difficulty on your journey ahead, you have a pregnant woman among your company. Surely you do not intend to expose her and her child to whatever danger that lies ahead?"

Radagast looked aghast. "A pregnant woman? Surely not."

Teye raised one questioning eyebrow. "You are then not aware of it?"

"No," Radagast said apprehensively, "and apparently no one saw fit to inform me of it either."

"We assumed you knew," Haldis said by way of apology. "It has become rather hard to miss. A'mael's pregnancy has been obvious to everyone, except to you, it appears."

Teye laughed softly. "You have spent too much time with birds and beast, my friend, and far too little among Elves and Men if you fail to notice these things in the very company you lead!"

Radagast looked suitably embarrassed. "Well then, now that I am aware of it, I shall act on it."

He turned to the expecting couple who had been silent so far. "Ingwionis, A'mael, you realise of course I will not risk exposing an expectant mother, or an unborn child to the unknown dangers on our road. We do not know what to expect when we will arrive at the prison of the Entwives, nor what the nature is of their jailor. I cannot risk it. When we reach the Iron Hills, we will find an Eagle that may lead you safely to the Dwarven settlements there. From there you can travel on their commerce routes to Greenwood. The Dwarves have waggons, which will be far more comfortable to travel in than with us on horse-back. In Greenwood at least the climate will be more congenial for childbirth."
Old 10-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #49
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

Ingwionis shook his head in agreement towards the wizard's statements. "Yes, I agree entirely, Master Wizard. Yet she...she takes offense whenever even I mention this. She has been pregnant for far longer than you might expect...five months needing a day."

Radagast seemed very annoyed, as would be expected. He had the look in his eyes that said "you knowingly allowed this, what kind of husband are you to this woman?"

"Radagast, I argued and argued with her. It was hard to keep the journey a secret from her, since I'd obviously not be present, and so showed her the note you had sent. My delay here was due in part to making the decision to leave. I told her the journey may be long. She denied my offer for her to remain in safe places. I told her that the journey may be the end of her. She told me that we would both die together if that was the case. Why I went...I am somewhat on a selfish quest of knowledge, and I do not wish to leave Middle Earth in the condition that it is in. Sauron has passed, this is true; yet, I've always had an eye for the particularly good things...as well as the particularly evil. And I had to go, argument or not."

Radagast pointed out that Ingwionis should continue.

"That really is all, Master Wizard."

A'mael looked at Ingwionis, concerned. Ingwionis presented her with the offer to return again. "A'mael, my love, you know me. I would not have gone on this journey if I did not trust Radagast nor the fair company of the east. As you have seen, it isn't so bad of a place, especially that we are not so far east as to be of dreadful alarm. I will be alright. You need not be concerned any longer. And do not believe me to be jumping into this blindly. I, too, will be returning with you. Thus, you have no choice but to come, isn't that so? I was selfish to go on this journey either with or without you, yet the quest for knowledge drives me. Now, I can see that drive or not, I must look to you, and our child. I lost a wife to the darkness once before, in the way that she was lost, she could never be reclaimed."

"You are weaker now. You must be honest with yourself. You are in jeopardy. Even traveling this far in the condition you will be in is dangerous enough, lest we fall into more dangerous situations which I admit is likely. I am prepared for that and you are NOT!"

A'mael gave Ingwionis a rather dirty look, the look that says, "you informed someone of this, didn't you?"

Ingwionis continued on, knowing that he couldn't keep it from her. "You honestly didn't think I'd let this go on, did you? You cannot contend with a journey of this magnitude, and I would not allow you to. Radagast will stop you as will I. We make for Greenwood. It isn't home, but it's far removed from harm. We will remain there, at least, that is all that I can tell you now. If I must depart again from your side, you are to stay in safe company and never go away from it. I'm putting my fist down on this, A'mael. We are always together, though it is possible that I will have to be away from you for some time. We have gone through it before, remember? This is a much-better time than those times were. You will do as I say this time, as Radagast says you MUST do! I have no intention to leave this journey to chance without providing my services, but more so, I have no intention on leading you to harm. Despite your independence and bravery, don't do as I do, do as I say, if for this time. You always defended me, and I must always defend you. Look at it from my point of view, and trust me as you have always done. We will discuss this further when we return home."

A'mael, Radagast, and Ingwionis stood there looking at each other for a few moments, and then A'mael spoke up...
Old 10-29-2009, 05:11 AM   #50
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl had risen early that day, as she usually did. The merriment of the previous night she had observed with interest, although she had not taken part. It bore a striking resemblance to the last days of Latsaik. the feast of foundations, which her own people celebrated every twelfth-year. Complete, she noted in mild amusement, with a few so caught up in the revelries that they over-indulged, although she suspected this was far more common among mortals than the Kindi.

That morning, it was quiet, and Tabrîl had gone about her routine without interruption. Her arm was healing more quickly than she had expected, in no small part because of Haldis' insistence on looking at it, she thought. Although she still considered the woman's actions unnecessary - Tabrîl was resilient, and her injury had been minor - she had to admit that Haldis' stitching had been neater than her own. Tabrîl wondered if she was a healer of sorts. It would explain why her technique seemed better than Tabrîl's, which was largely the product of necessity on the battlefield.

That, and treating wounds was easier when you were not treating yourself and so had both hands to work with, she thought. It was likely only that.

It was still early when she rejoined the group, helping herself to a cup of the freshly-brewed tea before she noticed Teye's presence among them. It made her uncomfortable. If Teye needed to speak with Radagast, then surely they should not all be standing about and listening. It occurred to her that perhaps she at least should leave, and she was about to do so when A'mael's pregnancy - and Radagast's ignorance of it - were mentioned.

Tabrîl found it difficult to believe that Radagast, who was so wise, had not noticed something so obvious. She, like Haldis, had assumed that he already knew. Furthermore, she had assumed that it had been his decision to allow A'mael to continue travelling with them, and so she had not voiced her disapproval, but simply accepted that A'mael was important for some reason, and had to remain. Radagast, she had come to believe, was the kindest of his order, and would certainly not put a child at risk without cause.

It was a relief to her when he revealed his intention to send Ingwionis and A'mael to safety. What she did not expect, however, was the couple's reaction to this news. Ingwionis accused A'mael of being weak and unprepared, in full sight of them all. Even if it were true, Tabrîl thought it cruel of him to shame her so, particularly as he was her husband, was shirikabi to her. Such things, if they needed to be said, should be said in private.

And even if they were true, she thought then, they were not necessary. Whether or not A'mael was capable of continuing the journey was irrelevant. Radagast led it, and if he did not think it right that she was there, then she should not be.

Tabrîl looked to A'mael then, curious to see how she would react to Ingwionis' words.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #51
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami was sitting enjoying her own tea and breakfast when Teye had entered the camp. Thinking that the woman had only business and travel matters to talk to Radagast Nami payed little attension to what was being said. Insteed she fiddled with the resent hole she had found on her jacket were a button had fallen off. "That was new too". she muttered to her self around the same time her ears picked up on the change of tone in Radagasts voice and Ingwionis sudden speach. Realising the subject matter of the conversation she wondered how anyone could have missed the growing nature of A'mael's stomach. It was definantly not the amount of food they were eating that was making it grow so. Nami had not really thought much on the two elfs growing problem, but she did wonder who the normally shy, soft spoken A'mael would react. Nami tried hard not to look that she was listening but failed.
feawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #52
Amael
Elven Warrior

A'mael nodded in agreeing with Ingwionis, despite the tone of his words. It was true, she would become a liability both to herself and everyone else, her husband, and especially her unborn child.

"You are right, my husband. You are right. You were a little loud about it, but you are right, about some things. Maybe this is what needs to be done. Not now though. Why are we being this preemptive? Why not wait some time? I'm not so weak as you may think. 5 months ... I'm not even half-way through yet. And this did not need to be conveyed publicly. I thought when you were to speak to me, it would be in private. Instead we're getting preemptive about it."

Ingwionis shook his head, looking at all those around him who were generally accusing him of being a bad person for raising his voice.

"Everyone, my husband has good intentions. I came on this journey in clear defiance of what he knew to be right, of what I even knew to be right. I should take responsibility for trying to hide this. I let this go on too long as well. But neither of us can stay now. Ingwionis, if you're staying, I'm staying. If you're going, I'm going. So it looks like you're coming with me then. If this is the way it's going to be, then I have ground rules too. I'll talk to Radagast in private now. Go about packing your things if we're heading off, just don't draw conclusions. Radagast, may I please speak to you privately: something that the honest fool Ingwionis apparently doesn't have the ability to do."

A'mael went with Radagast, looking at Ingwionis, angered more than she usually is even when she faces down orcs. Ingwionis seemed scared, and he was now exposed because of the loud and determined nature of the tone he chose to use. As A'mael went with Radagast, Ingwionis started to walk away from the camp, shaking his head. A'mael felt sorry for him, because she knew that he had said what he said for the right reasons.
Amael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #53
Acalewia

Aelfwine was surprised that Radagast hadn't noticed that A'mael was with child. How could he not know what everyone else had. Aelfwine found it funny in a way that the leader of their company had no idea about it. She frowned at Ingwionis' comment that Amael was weak. With child or not, the Rohirrim girl thought that Ameal was one of the strongest in the group.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:48 PM   #54
Earniel

Teye held up her hand. “ I ask your forgiveness if I have spoken too rashly in something I had thought to be public knowledge. It had not been my intent to turn a private matter into a public one, nor to set husband against wife or otherwise. But pray, let me borrow Radagast for a little while longer, A’mael. For there are still a few matters I need to discuss with him and the rest of you while there is time. Before noon, even the stragglers of my tribe will have woken and start packing their tents, and we will be returning to our own tribe-lands soon.”

Radagast agreed. “You asked for time, A’mael, and that you will get. We need not be hasty with such important matters. There will be time enough before we reach the Iron Hills and a guide can be found for you and those that wish to accompany you. Until then we shall indeed speak of it only in private.” He gave A’mael a kind nod, before motioning to Teye to continue.

“The matters we have discussed so far concerned my task as Khan Geruth’s advisor, the next two matters concern my other talent, that of his seer,” Teye said. She glanced around the adventurers. “I am compelled to tell you all of my visions so that you may recognize it, should you come across it. But,” here her eyes –very briefly- flickered uncertainly towards Tabrîl, “some among you may wish to forgo this knowledge for reasons of their own.”

She took a long and slow drink from her nap of tea, as if to allow anyone enough time to distance themselves. Or, if she was a story-teller of the likes of Branwyn, to heighten the curiosity of her audience.

“There are four images I keep seeing in relation to your quest,” Teye said. “One is of a narrow canyon, carved out of rock and dirt. Winding like an old river, but the water has since long disappeared. It ends in an enclosed grassy area before a wide, smooth cliff-face. There’s an red, staring eye scribbled on it. There is an eagerness connected to the image, as well as weariness and sorrow.”

She waited a little so that everyone had the time to consider her words.

“The second image is of an immense hall with strange, dark pillars. Some of you have entered it, although not all, and I cannot say who. There’s a strange draught around you, like a fickle, ever-shifting wind: whispering, alert yet indecisive and potentially dangerous. I believe this is to be the turning point in your quest, but which way the balance swings, in your favour or against it… I cannot say.”

Again she waited a while, and took a last sip of her tea.

“The third one is the most cryptic one, and therefore the most troubling. I see five twigs lying on the ground. Two are in the form or a cross, the three others in the shape of an arrow above the cross. I cannot divine their meaning yet they fill me with foreboding and speak of imminent danger.”
Old 10-31-2009, 01:14 AM   #55
Acalewia

Aelfwine listened with intrest. If Teye was right there would be much danger on this Quest.
"And the fourth image?" Aelfwine asked, not considering if she would be intrupting. "You said you saw four images, yet you've only told us three,"

Old 10-31-2009, 05:32 AM   #56
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl understood Teye's words well enough. The seer, who was to all intents and purposes an in'kasha, mortal though she was, wished to speak of Mysteries, and she knew - of course she knew - that Tabrîl should not hear of such things, and thus should not listen.

Tabrîl was grateful for the warning. Quietly, without drawing undue attention to herself, she left the group, and did not stop walking until she was certain she would not unintentionally overhear anything.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #57
Earniel

"There is indeed a fourth image," Teye acknowledged, “although it seems in a way trivial and less-connected with your quest. It feels... out of time. And unlike the other three images I have described, this one seems specifically meant for you, Radagast."

"For me?" Radagast echoed with surprise. "You make me curious, Teye, please describe it, even if it seems trivial."

"Very well," Teye said, "the fourth image feels unlike the others, almost like a bittersweet memory. I see a massive tower, rising into the clouds. The structure is unlike anything I have ever seen in my waking hours and beyond. The colours and light are all wrong. No, not wrong," Teye corrected herself, "but strange, as if this image is not seen through human eyes.”

“There's a figure at the foot of the tower. I think it is a woman, but the shape is unclear. She is surrounded by little creatures, vaguely resembling eastern marmots, but sleeker and shadow-like. They move with the wind, or the wind moves with them, it is impossible to say which. I would not have mentioned this image if not several weeks before you came to our lands such creatures had been seen by several of the Ultai.”

“I cannot place the image of the tower and the woman,” Radagast replied. “But I have come across those shadowy rodents you have mentioned. We inadvertedly set them free from imprisonment in Dol Guldur, a destroyed strong-hold of the vanquished Enemy. What they are, I do not know, and if they are in some way connected to the Entwives, I cannot say how as of yet. We have not seen them since and I had quite forgotten about them. You said they came into your lands, Teye, are they still here?”

“No,” Teye shook her head. “They were first seen near the river, which they crossed as if flying. The last one to see them was a woman from Khan Telmur’s tribe. She said they were going to the Iron Hills.”

“The Iron Hills!” Radagast exclaimed. “This can not be a coincidence.”

“It would appear not,” Teye admitted. “But unfortunately, that will be for you to find out. I have reached the limit of my ability in this matter.”

“We are grateful for the aid you have already given us, Teye. We will have to take care of the rest of the matter ourselves.”
Old 11-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #58
Acalewia

Aelfwine looked to Radagast.
"Do you think they are going to warn whoever is holding the Entwives?" She asked. She tried to think back to their little misadventure in Dol Guldur. The wizard and Branwyn opening a door and releasing the shadow creatures. Aelfwine thought a moment. Would the shadow creatures try to hinder them?

Old 11-03-2009, 07:22 AM   #59
Earniel

"Difficult to say, Aelfwine," Radagast said. "If they are in league with the guardian that Sauron -or rather his ringwraiths- placed at the Entwives' prison, why were they themselves imprisoned in Dol Guldur's archive? That would not make any sense. They most certainly can't have known we are looking for the Entwives, they disappeared in an instant when we unlocked their prison. And judging by Teye's account, they didn't tarry in Dol Guldur but went straight to the Iron Hills. But they have followed the same path as we did, so there must be some connection."
Old 11-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #60
Acalewia

Aelfwine frowned as she thought.
"That is a mystery," She said. "Why the shadow creatures are traveling the same path we are?" Aelfwine quieted wondering if the creatures had lived in the Iron Hills before their imprisonment.