Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #21
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

"I wouldn't call it usual", Radagast answered after a while. "But Greenwood isn't a usual forest, I suppose. It is the last great vestige of the ancient forests that once nearly covered the whole of Middle-earth, and it holds far more different inhabitants and neighbours than other forests that I know."

"Are you trying to determine the motives of the Forest to link you with Tabrîl?"

[OOC: Thorir, your post and the answer has been moved to the discussion thread. This thread is only for the game itself.]
Old 09-19-2009, 04:33 PM   #22
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

"It will be quite impossible to undo that link without knowing," Haldis said. "Don't tell me you haven't been trying to figure it out also. But I think it must have something to do with ensuring - I'm not sure what, understanding between peoples perhaps, at a time when powers are shifting."
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:55 AM   #23
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

It did not surprise Tabrîl to spot Radagast and Haldis speaking together as she made her way across the campsite. She had heard from the others that Haldis had been afflicted with some illness, and had known at once that it was not so. Tabrîl would have noticed the signs of mortal sickness, she was certain. It was not something she wished to experience, and she was glad that the given explanation for Haldis' absence from the group was an incorrect one.

No, she had thought, it cannot be sickness. Haldis has merely gone into seclusion, and that is not such an unusual thing, not for a student of the Wise, as she is.

And now it seemed that Haldis had returned to them. It would give Tabrîl a little more freedom of movement, if nothing else. Her last foraging trip had not been particularly fruitful, as it was necessary to travel further, out on the plains, to find enough food. It was not so plentiful here as it had been in the forest. She decided that she would bring Haldis with her the next time that she went, and that way they might cover a great distance.

She sat now at a safe distance from the others, and resumed work on the carving she had begun the previous day. This was the last day of the Ultai's celebratory gathering, and she presumed that most of their group would be in attendance. Perhaps, she thought, that would mean a quiet day for her, and if so, she intended to make the most of it.

Aikanáro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:14 AM   #24
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami had decided she would be her final act later that afternoon. There was only so much walking on a rope you really could do before it got old! Now Nami's main crowd were young children. Not that she really minded it had been a good distraction. The camp had thinned out in the mid day sun, most of the group off entertaining. She looked around at her things, decided now was as good as any to pack up again. As she was rooting around in her bag, a small ball of yarn that she used in her bow making rolled out of her bag, bumping across the grass and stopped with a soft thud against Tabrils boot.
Looking up she cringed at the sight of it hitting Tabrils boot, oops! she thoughts.
"Sorry" Nami offered as she walked over to Tabril to retreave her ball.
feawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #25
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl frowned as she looked down at the small ball of yarn that had come to rest by her foot. At first she thought that some of the younger Ultai children might have strayed into their camp, it was the only explanation she could see for such an absurdity. It was careless, for one thing, and she disliked having her concentration broken by meaningless interruptions.

Setting her work aside, Tabrîl picked up the ball of yarn and began to wind up the long string that had unraveled as it had rolled towards her. It was only then that she saw one of the others approaching her. Nami. Tabrîl sighed inwardly, not having to be told that the yarn was in fact hers. In truth, she was uncomfortable around the young elf. Every time she thought that she understood something about Nami, it turned out that she was not quite right in her deductions.

If that were not enough, there was also the matter of Quickleaf. His death had not healed the rift that his quarrel with Abasi had opened between Nami and Tabrîl. She had offered no words of condolence, believing it fitting that he had died. It was only the finishing of that which Abasi had begun - although Tabrîl had decided against sharing this particular sentiment with any in the company, knowing it would be unwelcome. With her silence, she had maintained civility.

Tabrîl finished winding the yarn, but did not hand it back to Nami. Instead, she merely looked at her disapprovingly. 'You ought to take better care of your possessions,' she said.

Last edited by Aikanáro : 09-22-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:30 PM   #26
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

"Well," Nami said as she heard Tabrils tone, "Next time i will be sure to tell it not to wonder off and ill make a mental note learn to control inanimate objects, oh sorry was that too close to a mystery?" Nami replyed bitterly. Although she did not openly show signs of her loss, she was not completly over it either, making her tolerance of Tabrils criticisms low.
"Now can i kindly have it back please!"

Last edited by feawen : 09-22-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:26 AM   #27
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

The wide oak-door of the "Three Sails" stubbornly gave way before them, and Quickleaf drew a good breath before he followed Aladji into the tavern for it was filled with layers of foggy tobacco-smoke. The tavern was one large room fitted with many round tables and chairs. In the midst was the largest fire-place Quickleaf had ever seen, and it crackled, sparked and threw light upon the entire room so that no corner could hide in the shadows. On the eastern and southern side massive windows looked out upon the busy peer of Dorwinion. All around sat peoples of many sorts: sailors, traders, city politicians, laymen and also foreigners from seemingly all corners of Middle Earth. There sat even a few elves here and there but they were dressed in odd colourful clothing and had long, straight black hair. Nobody, not even the elves, took notice of Aladji and Quickleaf for it was a busy tavern and they didn't particularly stand out. For once Quickleaf felt anonymous. Aladji made way for them to the south-east corner of the room and they sat down. They had ordered a dark, red Dorwinion wine, the finest there was according to Aladji

- "Feel how the wine slushes through throat Kviggliff! Hoomathum! Savour that taste!" Aladji boomed and got a dreamy look in his eyes. Quickleaf judged that Aladji clearly was a man whom wine came as natural to as water. Himself he enjoyed it, it was in fact even better than the delicious stuff he had been served by the Raft-elves. He felt odd, as if intoxicated by some spell, yes, even a bit drowsy. He drank from the winegoblet and looked around in the room. On the table behind them sat a lone man, it seemed he had drunk a few bottles. In front of them sat two Dwarves, talking eagerly but in hushes and whispers, yet they were sitting close enough that Quickleaf could hear their words.

- "We should go to the market to see for ourselves tommorrow Brodin, and if we don't find any this venture could soon be as dead as an orc heart".
- "I fear it could be so Dhorwil. This city council is turning my beard grey. Why do they have to make it so difficult!"
- "Brodin, your beard is grey. But I agree! Why are these restrictions still in place? It is hampering trade all across the board. Nobody benefits!"
- "At least the council could have directed us to a potential partner. Someone with a nose for punctuality and an eye for selling!"
["Brodin, there are alas few of them. And the ones we have spoken to dare not travel northwest. These river-pirates still have a name in this city! Crooks!"

At that a good thump was heard, and Quickleaf looked about. Aladjis hand lay firmly on the table and his eyes glinted. Seemingly Aladji had also been listening in and judging by his facial expression he was curious of the Dwarves' talk to say the least. The ageing sailor took the wine bottle and raised it up in the direction of the Dwarves.
- “Listen misters! Come take a drink with us and tell of us the troubles you have encountered in this city. Perhaps a seasoned sailor can be of help?”.
The two Dwarves seemed to have been taken aback by Aladjis words. They had probably thought their musings had been, and were suppose to be, strictly private. But the fattest of the Dwarves took heart,
- “Thank you… Mr…?”
- “Aladji! Peronob Aladji! And this is my travelling friend Kviggliff”.
Both of the Dwarves eyed Quickleaf with a mild suspicion. Of course the elf didn’t blame them. The age-old sourness between Dwarves and Elves hadn’t diminished much over the years, not even after the Elf-king of Greenwood had made some encouraging moves towards the Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain.
- “Cheers! Quickleaf at your service!” Quickleaf smiled.
- “Yes. Hello… Elf” the lesser fat of the Dwarves uttered.
A “hello” was heard from the fatter one,
- “I am Brodin, and this is my companion Dhorwil”
- “Greetings to you both Mr. Brodin and Mr. Dhorwil. Bring your goblets over here and sit down and let us talk”.
The Dwarves hopped down from the massive oak-chairs and joined the table accompanied by their long beards. Aladji ordered more wine and some dried, salty beef that Quickleaf had a hard time chewing.
- “Now tell us Misters. What of your troubles?”
- “Well it is like this. We are Dwarves from the Lonely Mountain you see. Dhorwil here, my cousin, and myself, are in the mining business. But of late our community under the mountain has soared and there just isn’t enough space for industrious and adventurous Dwarves any longer. Not enough gold or silver to mine, and we can not compete with the closer circle of the King under the Mountain. They own almost everything. Likewise almost anything sold is sold by them!”

Both Dwarves went on a great deal further about mining and trading technicalities at the Lonely Mountain and they dwelved into matters so deep that Quickleaf quite lost track. But then the fatter dwarf Brodin began talking about the Iron Hills and at once Quickleafs interest was aroused.

- “…and that’s why we have moved our industry to the Iron Hills. The opportunities are immense! We have stocks of gold, silver, mithril and of course, iron, waiting there to be shipped out. And this brings us to our troubles. They are with Dorwinion. With the city government!” boomed Brodin.
Dhorwil was nodding his head in agreement and added “Our troubles have been with the Dinka-dam-Dorwinion”
- “Ah yes”, interrupted Aladji, “The Trading Council of Dorwinion. They run the trade matters of the city. They lease out grants, permits and set the rules for the market-place!”
- “Indeed Aladji, they do. And there is a particular rule that is causing us a headache and the reason that we are in this pickle. For as you probably know, any import of minerals to Dorwinion must happen through a local trader. And there lies our problem for we have no contacts in this city! We have been around and spoken with traders on the docks but no one seems interested. They are all looking eastwards, across the Sea of Rhûn. Nobody wants to do shipping along the Celduin or Carnen!”
- “But that’s an excellent run of river!” Quickleaf shot in.
The two Dwarves looked at him in unison stupidity,
- “Pirates! Risk!”
- “I think then you have come to the right table! Aladji here trades at the Long Lake!” Quickleaf replied eagerly back.
- “You do?” Brodin asked unable to contain the excitement in his voice.
“- Yes, yes… I do. I have travelled that stretch for longer than I can remember. Though I must confess that the main business I have with the Lonely Mountain is with the Kings own enterprise.”
Dhorwil grunted,
- “Unfortunate! He virtually owns the market-place up there!”
- “But… I must say I am interested in this scheme of yours! The Iron Hills is a shorther way and as any trader knows, time lost is profit lost!”
- “Are we really hearing this?”, the pitch of Brodin’s voice going as high as a Dwarf could possibly go. - “Would you partner up with us?”
- “I would! But we must have a proper arrangement!” and the old sailor listed up numerous conditions. Ink and parchment, and also some pie was ordered from the barman Mr. Moffahel, and the Dwarves sat there and scribbled ferociously as Aladji dictated the terms. Quickleaf was making sure everyone had enough wine. The hours ticked by until at last the agreement seemed to be in place.

- “…and thus, Mr. Brodin and Mr. Dhorwil, I believe we are business partners!”, Aladji put his odd signature to the parchment.
- “Excellent!” Quickleaf added, “I would say this calls for more wine, but in honesty I believe we have had quite enough!”
The Dwarves, chins burning from excitement and hands trembling from exhaustion, nodded.
- “You are right Kviggliff, and tomorrow is Friday, and if all goes as planned we shall head off for the Iron Hills after my business at the market is past. And Mr. Brodin and Mr. Dhorwil shall meet the two representatives of the Dinka-dam-Dorwinion, Mr. Benethel and Mr. Dominel, to flesh out the formalities of this new trading enterprise.”
- “Indeed Aladji, that is correct. And then we intend to travel up to the Lonely Mountain to finalize our industry there. Much must be done and we haven’t yet transported all our equipment thither to the Iron Hills!”

The Dwarves, Aladji and Quickleaf made their leave, and they were the last ones to go. A tired Mr. Moffahel showed them out before he closed the “Three Sails” for the night. Outside the moonlight shone brightly down on Dorwinion. Hands were shaken and farewells taken and the last thought on Quickleafs mind before he fell asleep was that of his friends… whom he would soon hopefully see again.

Last edited by Coffeehouse : 09-23-2009 at 06:46 AM.
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:48 AM   #28
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl sighed. The irreverence these people showed towards the Mysteries had long ceased to shock her, and she expected nothing better from Nami.

'Take it,' she said curtly, offering her the ball of yarn. 'Take it and perhaps you will put it to good use. I have never before seen an object that wandered of its own accord.' She raised an eyebrow. 'I have no doubt that you know better than I what should be done with such an item.'

Turning away from the other elf slightly, Tabrîl picked up the piece of wood she had been shaping, looking ready to resume her work. Before she did so, however, she glanced back over at Nami.

'We are leaving tomorrow,' she said. 'If there is anything you intend to do, better you do it today. If not, see that you gather up all the troublesome objects you possess. You would not want to leave them behind.' Tabrîl spoke softly, but it was clear that this was not the well-meaning advice it might have seemed had it come from another. Tabrîl thought Nami quite incapable of taking responsibility for anything.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #29
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Drown you in a river, Nami thought as Tabril mentioned things she should be doing. Nami turned angry away taking quick steps away from Tabril. Slowly she stopped and signed, she was not helping towards inter elf relations. Grief had quicken Namis anger which went as fast as it came, leaving regret in its space. She turned, "I am sorry Tabril...what i was unsensative of me and i will..." Nami tried to find words to explain her self but then remembered who she was talking to. "Never mind, i am sorry anyway." Turning back round she sent off back to her things, muttering under her breath, "You're an idiot nami...it would have never bothered me before....whats the point....didn't even really know him.....drown you in the river....
Old 09-23-2009, 12:41 PM   #30
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Nami's apology only served to puzzle Tabrîl. Surely she did not care enough about Tabrîl's opinion to want or need her forgiveness, and so there seemed little purpose to it. It was not mere courtesy, either, as Nami seemed to care little for such formalities. Yet her sentiments did not appear to be false, and so there had to be some reason for it that she was not seeing.

Tabrîl crossed to Nami's side as she was muttering to herself, and tapped her on the shoulder. 'There may be no friendship between you and I,' she said slowly, once she had Nami's attention, 'and perhaps there cannot ever be. Even so, I would have you know that I do not wish you ill. I never have done so.'

Old 09-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #31
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami was suprised as she discovered it was Tabril at her side. Nami smiled slowly as she listened to Tabrils words. "Perhaps we got off on the wrong feeting, you and i." she said after same thought. "Perhaps it is natural to fear things and people we dont understand....no not fear....treat differantly maybe. I have taken no ill with you and i am sorry for any ill i have done you, i truely am. i think we just do not understand each other and i think it will always be that way. Friends, may be we can not friends, but i hope we can at least be cival to each other at least until we can all go home for the sake of the group". and because i think Tabril could easier kill me! nami thought.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:23 PM   #32
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

"You could be on to something, Haldis," Radagast said. "Although I reckon you will learn the Forest's motives sooner than I."

They were briefly interrupted by the small altercation between Tabrîl and Nami. As it seemed to be settled as quickly as it had arisen, Radagast turned to Haldis.

"And what effect did that have on your link?"
Old 09-23-2009, 09:36 PM   #33
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis did not answer for a moment, concentrating. Finally, she relaxed, and turned to Radagast, saying, "Sorry, it takes close attention to feel any change right now, the interactions are so... hesitant.

"It's like that tiny flicker a candle flame gives when you breathe near it; unnoticable unless you are watching it directly. But while they argued the flame, if you will, surged upwards a little, and now it is steady again."

Haldis glanced back toward the elf-women, looking frustrated. "Do you think I should tell Tabrîl? She ought to know, but I could be wrong. I don't think I am, but I could be, and anyway, I can't think of a way to phrase the explanation so she'll allow herself to listen."
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:07 AM   #34
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Be civil. That remark alone told Tabrîl the extent of the misunderstanding between them. She had been nothing but civil, tolerating the rude and disrespectful ways of the others to the point where they no longer even seemed surprising to her. She seldom allowed herself to become angry with them, despite the frustration and irritation she so often felt, and she went to great lengths not to offend them unduly.

It was, to Tabrîl's mind, a long and tiresome exercise in patience and self-control, and she persevered with it only for Radagast's sake. She rarely spoke with him, believing it inappropriate for her to make demands upon the time of someone so important, but his good opinion mattered greatly to her. Having seen his reactions to previous conflicts within the group, she did not think he would be pleased if she helped to cause more. Even if she had been offended and so was within her right to do so. She did not know why he might think this way, but it was enough to her that he did.

It was this thought that Tabrîl had in mind as she answered Nami. 'Yes,' she said. 'Yes, let us be civil, and I shall forgive you.' It occurred to her that Nami probably did not know entirely what it was that she apologized for, but that did not matter, she could not be expected to understand. If Tabrîl was honest with herself, it was obvious that many of the misunderstandings had come about as a direct result of her own mistaken assumption that Nami was a warrior and should be treated like one.

'You are right to say that we do not understand each other,' she continued, 'but we are very different, and so we ought to be treated differently. Perhaps that is all that we need to understand.'

Old 09-24-2009, 10:51 AM   #35
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami looked at Tabril, pretty sure that at least some of her meaning was lost in translation. Nami wished she had some way if understanding the ways of this strange elf, Tabril seemed to live in a world of rules and etiquette that Nami had no way of knowing.
"Maybe if i know why we differ, i mean we come from so very different backgrounds and up brings and life styles. What is excepted within my family and kin may be ofference to yours?" Nami tried to think of a way of putting what she felt, "Maybe we have differing term of etiquette? In my home we are all on the level or standing, we all help and do may jobs, whither this is right or not i dont not know but it is the way we live. I believe your home has stricter rules, and please currect me if i am wrong, you have one job and exel at that one job and so have different rights and responsiblities that maybe we do not realises or understand." Nami frowned, "I am not making my self very clear am i?"
Old 09-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #36
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

'I think that I understand,' Tabrîl replied. 'You are only saying what we both already know, that our lives are very different, and so it is unsurprising that our customs are, also.'

She paused for a moment, deciding whether or not to say more. It did not feel right, to talk about Kindi tradition with an outsider - but then Nami had spent time enough in Tabrîl's company that nothing she would reveal was likely to be entirely new to her.

'I suppose you are right to say we are stricter,' she continued, 'if by that you mean that our place in life is more defined, that we know where we belong. Yet I cannot believe that your home is quite as you describe it. You can tell me in truth that you are equally good at all these 'jobs' you claim as your own? You excel at all of them, and are well-suited to all?'

Tabrîl shook her head. 'It is not in our nature. Some are fit to be warriors, and others are not, and the same can be said for any other role. And you cannot all have equal standing - you have leaders, do you not? You have kings? Among the Kindi,' she added with a hint of pride, 'rank is gained through merit, not inherited by birth.'

'As for etiquette-' she frowned, 'that, I cannot explain. It simply is. Even a child knows how to be respectful, how not to offend. It is simply part of what it is to be Kindi. Perhaps you will not understand simply because you are not Kindi?'

Old 09-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #37
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

"I ever said i was good at everything i do or suited to it but i try my best at the things i do, not of need or enjoyment of what i do, i quite like cooking but im not very good at it!" Nami said, almost smiling at the thought of being that good. "I did say i didnt think i was explaining it very well!" Nami had the feeling that this conversation was going no where fast and no matter what she said Tabril would find fault with it.
"Yes we do have leaders and i see your point about how rank should be gained not inherited, it is a point my father is opposited to me voicing."

Last edited by feawen : 09-24-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #38
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl gave her a puzzled look. 'Then I am not certain what it is that you are trying to explain. Perhaps that is something beyond my understanding. Many of the stranger ideas I have encountered appear to be so.' She shrugged, seeing this as a perfectly acceptable outcome. It was not necessary that she understand everything - only those things which were proper for her to know.

'Is it important to you, to explain it to me?' she asked, curious about Nami's motives in telling Tabrîl about her own homeland.

Tabrîl was pleased to see that they were in agreement on one point, at least, although Nami's mention of her father made her wary of saying more. It was important to show respect towards one's parents, and she suspected this might be one value they held in common. It was also important to trust one's leaders - but if they were chosen so arbitrarily, did that make a difference? The thought unsettled Tabrîl, and she was glad that the Kindi had no such problems. The in'kasha and her advisors were the wisest and most holy of the people.

'It must be disconcerting,' she said softly, 'not to trust those who you must obey. It must be difficult, especially if your family does not see it as you do.'

Old 09-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #39
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

"Where would all the fun be if we understand all in the world. i think we are not ment to understand it all. The stars are beautiful no matter if you understand why they shine so." Nami blushed a little at realising for once she had said something just the way she wanted to. she found it hard some times to put words to the throughts in her head, she was often called silly for such thoughts. Which confused her some what, she was after all an elf, wasnt she ment to be care free, ever happy? Maybe she just was not old enough yet to have tired for the world around her and all of its silly beauty.
Nami was suprised by Tabrils softer tone. "I trust our leaders...because my father trusts them and i trust him, he says i am too young to understand why things should be a set why. i have not seem enough wars, he says, to understand. I used to ask him, a long time ago, why should the great deeds and title of the father pass to the son in honour." Nami thought a little and then carried on, "i dont know if know why i was so afraid of Dol Galdur, other than the more plan reasons there was more personal ones. Well my mother gave her life in a way to save mine and i honour and respect and love for her for that but i get no title honour from it and i ask none, so why should a son rule over a people when it was the father who saved them?" Nami blush become deeper, " i dont know why i am telling you this, its not even what we started talking about in the first place!"
Old 09-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #40
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl took her words seriously, and pondered them for a moment. 'You tell me,' she answered at last, 'because you believe it is something that needs to be said. And I am in agreement with you. Those who boast overmuch of the deeds of their kin are usually those who have done little to prove their own worth. We must honor the bravery of those who have gone before us, and never forget it - but we must not believe that it entitles us to anything more than what we ourselves can earn. This is the mistake your leaders have made.'

'And yet,' she continued, 'if you have decided to trust your father, and to follow his guidance, then that is what you must do. Too many questions will only make your life more difficult.' She paused, looking carefully at Nami. 'At a time of conflict, having a competent war-leader is of the utmost importance. If your father is a warrior, he will know this, and know also that it is not something inherited by blood. I suspect there were reasons for his words, beyond what he told you.'

There had to be, she reasoned. Supporting a son's leadership simply because of his father's success was absurd. It was dangerous, if the son was not suited to the role. Tabrîl could not believe that Nami's people could not see that.

'As for your fear,' she said at last, 'it is gone now, is it not? You did not have to venture into those caverns, and so all is well?'