Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-09-2008, 06:12 AM   #41
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Thank you Varna. I liked your intro as well. How does the quote go again? Was it: "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful cooperation."?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
How long from Mithlond to Rivendell, do you know? I think there's some sort of travelling time website somewhere...
To judge distances in LLL, I tend to use a combination of the most excellent Middle-earth Atlas and this website. I have no idea as to the accuracy of this, but it sort of seems plausible.

Quote:
I think it's very helpful - that way, we don't make mistakes of wrong seasons and such. And also, we're setting out from different places and need to get that right. And if we use English, it's a lot easier, anyway.
There's only three of us, so it wouldn't be that hard to keep track of time and space. But as you wish.

Quote:
Hmm, I see you used a brother and sister combo - I was thinking of resurrecting Alagos' sister (although with a new name), but I don't know if 2 bro-sis combos would be too much ... I'll have to think a bit more. I definitely want at least 1 female, though. Maybe I'll invent someone in Rivendell ...
I don't think a second brother-sister tandem will be detrimental. Elves strike me as the type to travel with friends and relatives when possible. We will no doubt be playing them differently anyway. But I would put my tentative vote out for a woman from Rivendell, (she could still be a sister of one of your two Elves) that way Varna has someone to interact with until the Mithlond quartet comes along. Speaking of which, I suppose the four would travel together if they found out more people are looking for an inland trip? Shall we do a meeting between one or both of your Elves and Hallindel, since she's looking for travel companions?

Quote:
*refuses to not get her hopes up*
Aww, now don't do that. You'll only be disappointed. There's a reason I took only secondary characters in the Rhudaur game, I don't have the necessary inspiration to keep up a primary character with frequent long posts. Heck, I take over 4 years to properly finish a short story!
Old 11-09-2008, 06:17 AM   #42
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
I've got Ainon - so I wonder, should I have him come along, just to be there for Rameldir, not wanting for himself to leave Rivendell at all? It might be fun with someone with the attitude 'this is all well and good, but aren't we going home soon' - at least in the beginning.
Ooh, I like the idea. Could be fun indeed.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:34 AM   #43
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
How long from Mithlond to Rivendell, do you know? I think there's some sort of travelling time website somewhere...
From LotR, Appendix B, The Tale of Years:

Quote:
September 23.
Four Riders enter the Shire before dawn. The others pursue the Rangers eastward, and then return to watch the Greenway. A Black Rider comes to Hobbiton at nightfall. Frodo leaves Bag End. Gandalf having tamed Shadowfax rides from Rohan.

October 20.
Escape across the Ford of Bruinen.
Quote:
September 21. Frodo and Samwise set out from Hobbiton. 22 They meet the Last Riding of the Keepers of the Rings in Woody End. 29 They come to the Grey Havens. Frodo and Bilbo depart over Sea with the Three Keepers. The end of the Third Age.
It took the Hobbits just under four weeks to go from Hobbiton to Rivendell - but they were not riding horses, only ponies, and some of the time not even that.

Frodo's final journey from Hobbiton to Mithlond, with the Riders from Rivendell, took just over a week.

So about a month for the whole journey - or would it be considerably faster because of horses?

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:57 AM   #44
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:

http://www.theoriginalseries.com/traveltimes.htm
Here it is. Good luck on your travels!
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:05 AM   #45
Varnafindë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
But I would put my tentative vote out for a woman from Rivendell, (she could still be a sister of one of your two Elves) that way Varna has someone to interact with until the Mithlond quartet comes along.
Now we've got Ainon, perhaps we don't need her? Or should Ainon have a sister as well???

Old 11-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #46
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Hmm... the lovely writing here is luring me in. I don't feel like coming up with a new character, but Varna's mentioning my SotES Glorfindel did make me wonder if anyone would object to my using him.
I do believe he fits the criteria of being formerly of Gondolin and feeling somewhat adrift in Middle Earth during this period of the Second Age. Would it be all right if I played him here?
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:07 PM   #47
Earniel

Willow! It would be cool if you could join us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
Now we've got Ainon, perhaps we don't need her? Or should Ainon have a sister as well???
Well, now that you've got Ainon, RÃ*an has free choice where to put her possible female character. Whether Ainon will have a sister too is entirely up to you.

[EDIT: I'm going to add one little thing to Halweg's profile. While writing the intro, I remembered that Tolkien once wrote or suggested something along the line of that married status was prevalent among the Eldar and that only exceptions ended up marrying late or not at all. So I decided to have Halweg be married with the missus Losseloth (she was mentioned in the post) overseas. I haven't decided yet whether Hallindel by contrast might be engaged with her fiancée possibly also overseas.]
Old 11-09-2008, 04:43 PM   #48
Varnafindë

Willow, you would be very welcome.

What are the theories of when Glorfindel was returned to Middle-earth?
I'm sure Tolkien has got at least one theory that we can use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Well, now that you've got Ainon, RÃ*an has free choice where to put her possible female character. Whether Ainon will have a sister too is entirely up to you.
I won't let him have one, then (at least not now and as part of our story). I don't need one for my storyline.

Quote:
While writing the intro, I remembered that Tolkien once wrote or suggested something along the line of that married status was prevalent among the Eldar and that only exceptions ended up marrying late or not at all.
Tolkien mostly writes about those exceptions, though

Rameldir is one of the exceptions. I wanted him to be childless until TA 2758. So he doesn't even marry until well into the Third Age.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #49
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
What are the theories of when Glorfindel was returned to Middle-earth?
I'm sure Tolkien has got at least one theory that we can use.
There are about three, but the final one had Glorfindel coming back to Arda via Numenor during or just before the Year of Dread. I'll go with that one if Rian okays him as a character. Keep the poor elf nice and disoriented.

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 11-09-2008, 06:38 PM   #50
Varnafindë

So he's been in Lindon for about a century, and he's with the force that is sent out under Elrond in 1695 (with Rameldir as Captain of the archers) to fight Sauron in Eregion - and with them when they retreat towards the north and get besieged in Rivendell. And has been with them these twenty years in case Sauron should attack again.

And now he has got the same offer as the others, to settle in Rivendell or to go back to Lindon. Or perhaps like Rameldir, even the option to establish something on his own - or would that be different when he's been sent by the Valar?

All depending on the approval of the threadmaster, of course

Old 11-09-2008, 07:02 PM   #51
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

I think he'd be pretty certain about settling alongside Elrond.

Glorfindel's reasons for going along would be more to do with curiosity and maybe a little clausterphobia, a desire to see what he can before ending up stuck in another hidden valley for who knows how long.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 11-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #52
Varnafindë

After he moved to Gondolin, he didn't have much chance to do any sightseeing in Beleriand - and you're right, now he's about to hide away again

Old 11-09-2008, 09:22 PM   #53
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow Oran View Post
Hmm... the lovely writing here is luring me in. I don't feel like coming up with a new character, but Varna's mentioning my SotES Glorfindel did make me wonder if anyone would object to my using him.
I do believe he fits the criteria of being formerly of Gondolin and feeling somewhat adrift in Middle Earth during this period of the Second Age. Would it be all right if I played him here?
I'd love to have you, Willow! Actually, I was hoping you'd see the posts and be lured in ... it was a pleasure writing with you before.

It's fine with me for you to have Glorfy, and I'm good with any of the Glorfy variations that work for you.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:26 PM   #54
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Am I really that predictable?

This type of writing quality focused RP is my favorite, though. I'll admit to lurking on this thread since it started. I'll start working on a first post tonight then.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 11-09-2008, 10:34 PM   #55
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

No, you're not that predictable - I just know you enjoy writing, and I was just hoping

Can't wait for your post!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-10-2008, 01:36 AM   #56
Rían

Yay! A Willow post!

I liked the hanging gardens visual, and I loved the idea of Glorfy being irked by prying and wanting his privacy!

I better get on the ball and write my next post this week. Does anyone want to have any other characters in Mithlond, or should Eärniel and I just meet up and start?

Old 11-10-2008, 01:37 AM   #57
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis View Post
http://www.theoriginalseries.com/traveltimes.htm
Here it is. Good luck on your travels!
Thanks so much, Gordy! *kiss'n'hug*

Old 11-10-2008, 01:50 AM   #58
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Yay! A Willow post!

I liked the hanging gardens visual, and I loved the idea of Glorfy being irked by prying and wanting his privacy!

I better get on the ball and write my next post this week. Does anyone want to have any other characters in Mithlond, or should Eärniel and I just meet up and start?
Thanks!

And yes, you should write.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 11-10-2008, 04:27 AM   #59
Varnafindë

I'm planning a post with Rameldir and Ainon before you arrive from Mithlond - but I won't interfere with anyone who is still there

Willow, great post! I guess that Glorfindel and Rameldir have the same family relationship here as in Son of the Evening Star? Including Glorfindel feeling awkward towards the (older) Elf who he remembers as a little boy ... which might be about the same even if we stick to Tolkien's later concept that the rehoused Elves didn't become as little children.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:01 AM   #60
Earniel

Yay, Willow post! (And I see you haven't forgotten LLL either, great! )

Say RÃ*an, is the info thread really necessary? In know we did it for the nazgul game and on NK but we had a massive load of characters and players there.